Emby errors on Windows 7...at wit's end

tequilaparrothead

Angus Black

5c6ac3a00421d_8096.jpg

If the connection is 'refused' - then the browser had a reply on port 8096 - SOMETHING is running on that port ... ;)

No, it doesn't mean that anything is running on port: 8096.

Try it yourself with a port you know you aren't using.

Happy2Play

Try installing Visual C++ 2017 also.  But 2015 should be all that is required.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69718-emby-server-immediatelly-crash/?p=701164

I am currently building a new Windows 7 VM updates currently installing and will retest the process.

Edited by Happy2Play

tequilaparrothead

Okay...so I uninstalled Net Framework 4.0 and all of my Microsoft Visual C++ versions.

I then installed Net Framework 4.7 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 version.

Restarted my computer.

Checked Emby server...got the host connect 8096 error again and the Windows Event log again shows NET Runtime error that causes Emby to abort.

So it appears that Emby Server is in my start up menu and every time my PC starts up, I get this NET Runtime error at start up.

Should I go to msconfig and uncheck Emby so it does not try to start when I log onto my PC?

I'll go ahead and add Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 version now since I had removed it earlier but I doubt that will matter.

Any more ideas?

5c6c931396257_Emby14.jpg

Edited by tequilaparrothead

tequilaparrothead

Can you show a screenshot of Windows update? Thanks.

Luke...did you just mean a screenshot to confirm I was up to date on my Windows Updates?

I have installed a few updates this afternoon because of the changes I made to my computer.

Things like NET Framework came up to be installed again since I had removed my NET Framework version, etc.

5c6c97ada71b9_Emby15.jpg

So, I would almost think you may want to uninstall Emby and all visual C++ and .net stuff, run ccleaner and remove all temp files and unneeded registry keys (specifically look for any keys tied to legacy versions of visual c++ and .net then reboot).

At this point I would for testing sake reduce variables:

1. disable all unneeded startup items in msconfig.

2. Disable A/V and third party firewall providers.

Then install Emby from scratch. Add the appropriate firewall rules to allow inbound connections to port 8096/8920 and allow the Emby processes to run and exclude critical files in firewall/AV configuration.

Confirm function. If all is working reboot and turn AV/firewall back on.

Confirm function. If all is working reboot and turn 1 startup item on.

Confirm function. If all is working reboot and turn another startup item on.

Confirm function. If all is working reboot and turn another startup item on.

Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

Happy2Play

I installed a new vm Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32bit (only iso I had on hand) and performed and full windows update (180+ updates) and installed Emby from download page without issue.  During installation pop-up for C++ 2015 other then that no issues.

Edited by Happy2Play

rbjtech

No, it doesn't mean that anything is running on port: 8096.

Try it yourself with a port you know you aren't using.

I get ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE 

if I point to a random unused port - ie a different error message ?

Angus Black

I get ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE 

if I point to a random unused port - ie a different error message ?

Strange, I always get ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

tequilaparrothead

So here's what I did.

I used system recovery to do another restore back to factory status of my Windows 7 last night.

My PC has been downloading and installing hundreds of Windows updates all night and day.

I have not installed any programs like Kaspersky, Canon print software, etc, etc yet.

I downloaded and installed Emby.

Checked install logs and confirmed Emby installed completely correctly.

Tried to start server and boom...same error message.

Checked Windows Event viewer and the same damn NET Runtime error is there as was happening previously.

So I am done.

Thanks for everyone that tried to help.

I sure wish I had been able to try a legacy version of Emby to see if it was a 4.x issue or a Windows system issue.

All I know is it worked for awhile twice and then stopped working with the exact same error messages each time.

Maybe in a future life if/when I get a new computer, I can try Emby again.

For now, it will have to be Plex on my Roku TV, I guess.

Thanks again!

Happy2Play

I don't see how 4.x would be a issue as I did a new install from a Windows 7.iso.

But you can always try a portable 3.5.3.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/tag/3.5.3.0

Download the correct embyserver-win* zip, extract it into a Emby-Server folder placed almost anywhere.  Open the system folder and launch "embyserver.exe"

Edited by Happy2Play

tequilaparrothead

Emby worked before when I tried it as a portable but not the other way.
I honestly did not understand what "portable" meant and didn't know how that might affect using it, so I just bailed on that.

Checking now, it still works as a portable installation.

Still not sure exactly what that means.

When this all started, I was just looking for a server I could use to play music from computer's external hard drives thru my Roku TV home theater in another room.

I have always used MusicBee for playing on my computer but that wouldn't work for streaming to my TV.

I chose Emby over Plex because I liked the UI a bit better than Plex and also it seemed to do a little better reading my wav file tags (I know, I know...FLAC blah blah blah).

Maybe I can read up on what portable installations are really about.

Thanks again.

tequilaparrothead

Just curious....why does a program like Emby run fine on a computer as a portable installation when it won't work at all as a regular install?

Happy2Play

Just curious....why does a program like Emby run fine on a computer as a portable installation when it won't work at all as a regular install?

Are you saying it is working as a portable?

The only difference in the portable and the installer is the installer installs in a specific location.  The portable package you place almost anywhere.

tequilaparrothead

Yeah...it works fine as a portable.

As an installer version, nothing but NET Runtime errors and host refused to connect.

Happy2Play

Yeah...it works fine as a portable.

As an installer version, nothing but NET Runtime errors and host refused to connect.

Did you get the installer from the download page or were you using an existing installer you may have had?

tequilaparrothead

Oops...spoke too soon.

On the Emby settings page or whatever it's called, I saw a message that said "Restart Emby Server to install updates".

So I did that...and guess what...now the portable version of not working either.

So call it whatever you want, but something happens between when I first install Emby for the very very first time and then it updates something and the next time I try to start the Emby Server, I get nothing but these errors.

That's why I wanted to try a legacy version.
In my mind, it seems like there is some sort of update that is happening in Emby 4.x that renders it unusable on my computer.

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Also, is the version exactly the same between the two?

If so, the only other variable would be the install location and/or Windows user under which it is running.

Happy2Play

Obviously something on your system does not like v4 then.

If you want to stay on 3.5.3.0, you would just have to disable "Enable automatic server updates". Note update now button will always appear in the dashboard (never click this as it will reenable auto updates).

You can redo the steps for the portable, then disable update in Dashboard-Settings. You can try to cancel the update on Dashboard, but if you miss it just delete the "\Emby-Server\programdata\updates" folder before restarting.

tequilaparrothead

The portable download that I tried tonight is version 3.5 (edit: legacy download from the github website).

That is the one that was working until it told me to restart and apparently updated me to 4.0 and that is when the crap hits the fan.

That is the same thing that happened to me when using the installer version.

It worked for me when I started using it in December but then crapped out when it updated to 4.0.

There is something wrong with 4.0.

You can tell me it's only on my system, but I bet there are other W7 users that are having problems too.

Happy2Play

But I installed Windows 7 and do not see this issue.  Only other thing I can think of is maybe something Regional.  But you are the only one reporting this specific issue so far and v4 has been out a little over a month now.

tequilaparrothead

Who knows...I'm in water over my head at this point.

At least I have now learned about install logs, windows event logs, and portable installations.

Emby 4.0 just isn't going to work on this computer I guess.

There is something in version 4.0 that is poison to my HP computer.

I don't want to risk messing up my most recent fresh restore of my operating system by making a bunch of changes again trying to chase this.

I really do appreciate everyone's help.  :)