How to stop Emby from changing manually uploaded images?

tophee

Didn't I explain that earlier?

If the images are being changed to blank then that would suggest to me that you may have something that is deleting the contents of the server's metadata folder.

tophee

Didn't I explain that earlier?

My understanding of the discussion above is that you are basically insisting that Emby is working as it should and that the issues people are having with disappearing folder images is basically due to user mistakes/ misunderstandings. You are referring to post #5 where you explain that the disappearing images are expected behaviour if two conditions are met.

I have checked whether these conditions are met in my case and it turns out that only one of them is but the other isn't. In my mind, this means that the disappearing folder images are not expected behaviour.

If the images are being changed to blank 

No, they are being changed to a still from one of the video files contained in the folder.

that would suggest to me that you may have something that is deleting the contents of the server's metadata folder.

I wouldn't know what that should be if it is not Emby. I'm running Emby on an Ubuntu server that isn't usually accessed by users except via the Emby interface.

Happy2Play

Post 15 explains exactly what happens.

If you do no save images with media, and upload a image for a folder.  That image will get replaced by a inherited image from the first item in the folder.

Conclusion is you can not have a custom image for a folder if it is not saved within that folder.

tophee

Post 15 explains exactly what happens.

Well, not clear enough for me to understand. It says:

@@Luke

If you don't save images with media/in the folder.  When the library is refreshed the custom folder image is replaced with the first item image in the folder.  Is this by design?

I'd be happy if this would explain things for me, but there are no images in my folders.

This time you worded it slightly differently:

If you do no save images with media, and upload a image for a folder.  That image will get replaced by a inherited image from the first item in the folder.

So does that mean that even if there is no image in the folder, Emby will generate one from the first item (video file, I suppose) and use that for the folder?

If so, and if that's intentional, then I really think that the "Edit image" option for folders should be removed. It makes no sense to offer users the option to select an image for a folder when the chose image will be automatically replaced with one generated by Emby.