How to stop Emby from changing manually uploaded images?

tophee

I'm sure there is a simple solution for this but I can't seem to figure it out: I have invested some time to customize how various folders containing video clips should be presented, i.e. I  manually upload images to Emby server for each of these folders (setting them to primary). This seemed to work fine until a recent update. Now Emby keeps changing the folder images to something else. And when I try to turn it back to my manually uploaded image, it's not even there anymore. I have to upload it again. And once I've done that, Emby deletes it again and replaces it with something else.

How can I tell Emby to leave my folder images alone?

And since this seems to have started with the recent update to version 4.0.1, I might aswell ask whether it was intended behaviour that the update reset all my library display settings? I have a filer in several libraries set to "unplayed" and all of those were gone after the update. I also have several libraries set to display thumbnails (instead of the default setting). Those were also reverted back to default.  I suppose this was some sort of bug, but if not, I'd like to know if there is any way of preventing this from happening in the future.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Can you go over a specific example.  I haven't seen any of my custom images change.

And since this seems to have started with the recent update to version 4.0.1, I might aswell ask whether it was intended behaviour that the update reset all my library display settings? I have a filer in several libraries set to "unplayed" and all of those were gone after the update. I also have several libraries set to display thumbnails (instead of the default setting). Those were also reverted back to default.  I suppose this was some sort of bug, but if not, I'd like to know if there is any way of preventing this from happening in the future.

It all depends on how much change happens when this area gets reworked.

Hm, I'm more than willing to provide an example but what exactly do you need? If it's steps to reproduce, here we go:

1. In the web-interface, right-click on a folder and select "Edit images"

2. Select "Browse" and pick an image from your hdd.

3. Save it as "Primary"

4. The folder will now be shown with that image.

5. Wait a while (probably until emby does a rescan or something)

6. The folder is no longer shown with the selected image but by what seems to be a random screenshot from one of the videos contained in that folder.

7. Right click the folder. The image you uploaded is not even in the list of selectable images any more.

In my mind, at least #7 is a bug, but I also find #6 rather counterintuitive behaviour.

@@Happy2Play I don't know the code, but I find it hard to think of a scenario that makes it necessary to delete user settings.

I'm guessing the following are true:

• You have not enabled saving images to media folders for this library
  • The media has a pre-existing image file in the media directory

Because of your settings and existing image, the image download feature is not able to replace the existing image. It gets saved to the server's internal metadata folder. But images in media folders always take priority, so the next time the item gets refreshed, it switches back to your original image.

Is this correct?

• 3 weeks later...
mattman1968

I can confirm tophee's results. I perform the same steps to change an image but it doesn't "stick". It is very annoying.

In regards to Luke's questions, are you saying that I should enable saving images to the folder AND have my desired image located in the folder itself?

Happy2Play

The primary question here is are there any images in the media folder?  What is the library images saving option set to?

mattman1968

The primary question here is are there any images in the media folder?  What is the library images saving option set to?

There are no images currently in the media folder, and the library option to save artwork into media folders is UNCHECKED.

Happy2Play

Probably going to need a server log showing this issues.  I know I can't reproduce it with the steps provided.

How about some examples/screenshots of exactly where this is happening.

Happy2Play

Which logs? embyserver-xxxxxxxxxxxxx? Before and after images automatically change?

A log showing the changes.

mattman1968

OK. There are a couple dozen different logs. I assumed the most recent embyserver-xxxxxxxxxx was what you wanted. Looking through the actual log text, I don't know what I'm specifically looking for.

I'm also am not sure if you want a log from when I have the images I manually apply, and/or if you want a log from when the images change on their own. Furthermore, I'm not sure when the images will change, so it may take some time before I notice.

The log from the timeframe that you downloaded the image would be best, thanks.

mattman1968

Attached picture & log is from shortly after I applied my images to folders in Workout.

Edit: Weird...the P90X thumbnail doesn't look like that IRL.

5c82dcacd7b03_EmbyWorkout1.png

EmbyLog.txt

Edited by mattman1968

Happy2Play

@@Luke

If you don't save images with media/in the folder.  When the library is refreshed the custom folder image is replaced with the first item image in the folder.  Is this by design?

Steps I took

New Home Video and Photos library (default settings)

Created same three workout folders as above

Applied custom images to each folder

Did a Search for updated, Search for Missing, and Refresh all on the library (did not select replace images)

The custom images were overwritten in the \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx folder with the first item each folder

I think the only way around this is putting the custom image in the folder.

Added custom poster.jpg images to each folder and the dynamic image (library image) still was created off the first item in each folder and not off the custom folder images.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Try 'folder.jpg'. Works for me.

The issue is assigning custom images that are not saved with media.  Emby is overwriting those images on a library refresh with dynamic images from that folder.

d00zah

The issue is assigning custom images that are not saved with media.  Emby is overwriting those images on a library refresh with dynamic images from that folder.

I understand. I've used custom 'folder.jpg' images in my video library folders for years. To date, they've never been overridden by generated images.

Happy2Play

I understand. I've used custom 'folder.jpg' images in my video library folders for years. To date, they've never been overridden by generated images.

Right in the folder.  If you do not save images with media/folder it is saved to \metadata\library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and these images are getting overwritten with dynamic images instead of maintaining the uploaded image.

@@Luke

If you don't save images with media/in the folder.  When the library is refreshed the custom folder image is replaced with the first item image in the folder.  Is this by design?

Steps I took

New Home Video and Photos library (default settings)

Created same three workout folders as above

Applied custom images to each folder

Did a Search for updated, Search for Missing, and Refresh all on the library (did not select replace images)

The custom images were overwritten in the \library\xx\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx folder with the first item each folder

I think the only way around this is putting the custom image in the folder.

Added custom poster.jpg images to each folder and the dynamic image (library image) still was created off the first item in each folder and not off the custom folder images.

Yes because local images always take priority. The next library scan will re-discover the local image and set that back as the primary image.

So you need to choose - either let Emby save the new image to your local media folder, or remove the image from the media folder.

tophee

you need to choose - either let Emby save the new image to your local media folder, or remove the image from the media folder.

That makes no sense from the users perspective. If you let the user manually select a folder image and the user does that, it implies that that image has should have priority over others.

It makes sense, yes, but we don't record that override anywhere, so that is the behavior as of today.

mattman1968

A log showing the changes.

...Attached log is from shortly after I applied my images to folders in Workout.

Did the logs show anything?

More strange...I have forced library scans, added media to the library,..let it self-update, forced a scan again...and the images I have set manually are "sticking" - which is a good thing! But why now is it working? I tried at least a half-dozen times prior to my first post and it never worked. I have not changed any media folder settings since there is confusion as to what the proper method is. Just thought I'd share my success even though I can't explain why it is working.

I'm not sure we have enough information to answer that, but the most common reasons for this happening, by far, are the reasons I mentioned in post #5:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70273-how-to-stop-emby-from-changing-manually-uploaded-images/?p=704887

So more than likely something there has changed. Thanks.

tophee

I'm guessing the following are true:

• You have not enabled saving images to media folders for this library

Yes, this is correct. I did not see any reason to enable this because the help text only says "Saving artwork into media folders will put them in a place where they can be easily edited." If enabling this setting is required in order for emby to not forget manually assigned folder images, then I'd suggest that this should be stated in the help text.

• The media has a pre-existing image file in the media directory

Is this correct?

No, this is not the case. None of the folders I just checked contain any image files.

So apart from that I think manually saved images should be prioritized in a meaningful way, there is not even any folder image that would explain why the uploaded images are overwritten.