Downloading stuck on "Ready to transfer" - Android Pie Issue

jonboyuk

imthedoctor

No, internal doesn't work. I've got >100GB free so not a space issue. Don't even have an mSD in my phone, not needed.

Oh that's really weird. Maybe try the beta?

imthedoctor

Release version is apparently equal to, or newer than the current beta.

Do you see that in the store side, or in the forum? They haven't updated the forum version post in a long time. The beta out there now is beyond the public version.

Rosewellzz

Having the exact same issue, I've got the Beta app, don't have external storage, only about 80GB of internal, and the sync just sits saying "waiting to transfer"

carminillo

The problem is not the storage permission but policy about HTTP cleartext traffic on > Android Pie.

There are two solutions:

a) Fix Apps permission in the app manifest setting - android:usesCleartextTraffic="true" - 

https://medium.com/@@son.rommer/fix-cleartext-traffic-error-in-android-9-pie-2f4e9e2235e6

B) Setup Emby server for HTTPS use and setup android APP to use HTTPS connection

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Secure-Your-Server

obviously the quick solution is the second one.

• Like 1

carminillo

Edit- figured it out.

Probably, after you have configured Emby SSL you need to "force use" inside your lan by block access to the standard port 8096 with iptables

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8096 -j DROP

and setup your app to use the new link https://yourserverip:8920

parasven

@@carminillo

I am using emby behind a nginx reverseproxy with proper ssl certificate and the issue is the same for me. When i change the downloadlocation to internal storage there is no problem downloading/syncing the desired items to my phone.

Needless to say that my emby app is configureed to use https.

Im using a Samung S9+ with emby app Version 3.0.42

imthedoctor

So is going through all that process letting people download to external storage or no? Really don't want to go through all that and it not work lol

dlokey22

So is going through all that process letting people download to external storage or no? Really don't want to go through all that and it not work lol

Unfortunately, I don't think that solves the saving to external storage issue.  I have reverse proxy (nginx) with SSL set up on my server and I still can't get it download to external SD card.  Even if I unchecked "Download only via wifi" and connect to my server externally through nginx with HTTPS, I can't get it to work.  Saving to internal storage works though in both local network and external network through my HTTPS reverse proxy.

Edited by dlokey22

imthedoctor

Unfortunately, I don't think that solves the saving to external storage issue. I have reverse proxy (nginx) with SSL set up on my server and I still can't get it download to external SD card. Even if I unchecked "Download only via wifi" and connect to my server externally through nginx with HTTPS, I can't get it to work. Saving to internal storage works though in both local network and external network through my HTTPS reverse proxy.

That is a real bummer. Yeah I can get internal storage to sync, but I'd prefer it on external storage so I didn't have to keep shifting files around.

• 2 weeks later...
revengineer

@Luke: The new stable server version is fantastic with Live TV watching and recording working as well as it never has before. Thank you for this! Now that this version has been released would it be possible to revisit the issue with Android not syncing on Amazon Fire tablets and other devices?

imthedoctor

Anyone found away to get this to work on Android Pie yet? A work around or anything.

I'm sure the devs are working on it but I'm leaving on a week long trip with limited internet and would love to be able to take more than my internal storage worth of videos with me lol

Edited by imthedoctor

imthedoctor

You don't have this option in you apps settings? ab8066f0325ec9a7696efa718acaccad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, but it doesn't work with android pie at the moment.

Sammy

I'll need to test and report back. I don't currently use it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

computerprep

Saving to internal storage works though in both local network and external network through my HTTPS reverse proxy.

I have a similar setup with nginx on a different box handling SSL cert and reroute to server. Cert is trustworthy (Let's Encrypt, not self signed), but I have to trick devices into trusting the cert when it comes to downloading. Works otherwise.

Are you doing something different with your SSL than me?

Edit: I don't care about external storage, I just want to replicate your success with nginx/ssl and wan downloads to internal storage

Edited by computerprep

imthedoctor

I have a similar setup with nginx on a different box handling SSL cert and reroute to server. Cert is trustworthy (Let's Encrypt, not self signed), but I have to trick devices into trusting the cert when it comes to downloading. Works otherwise.

Edit: I don't care about external storage, I just want to replicate your success with nginx/ssl and wan downloads to internal storage

Yeah internal storage isnt broken only external. Which is a big inconvenience

I apologize for the delay. Yes we're going to try and re-visit this soon. Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

dlokey22

I have the same setup.  Nginx with LetsEncrypt SSL cert on a separate box routing traffic to Emby server.

I followed this post for the Nginx configuration to get site up to A rating.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/47508-how-to-nginx-reverse-proxy/

I haven't had any issues with internal storage.  I've tested it with LAN and WAN to download/Sync on my Galaxy S10.  The only issue I have had is with external storage on the S10.

Edited by dlokey22

• 2 weeks later...
mark235

On My Galaxy S8+ with Android 9, downloads would start, but stop again after 10 seconds or so. I had to manually grant the Emby app storage permissions to get the Download and Sync option working with the phone's internal storage. It worked fine after that.

I'm using 2 sims, so can't speak for external storage.