Downloading stuck on "Ready to transfer" - Android Pie Issue

jonboyuk

KnightNZ

FWIW I've disabled all trace of power\memory management for the app and it's made no difference. Even so, I'd expect when the app is actively open and the device is on the local network with the server and I manually trigger the download schedule, that it'd actually do something, but it doesn't, so I'm guessing it is some new Android 9 permission that's required that Emby isn't asking for.

I've manually checked that the "Storage" permission is enabled (the only listed permission), but at no stage has Emby ever popped up explicitly asking for write access anywhere, although IIRC that's usually only needed for external storage whereas I'm using the internal storage.

Looking at the logs I can see that it Executes the cloud & folder sync, which spits out a HTTP 204 response after accessing the "ServerSync" ScheduledTasks javascript file, and completes 1ms later having done nothing.

Emby server is running as my user account, it's accessing the scheduled tasks from within my AppData folder, and I can see that there is a cached copy of the file I'm using to try and test the sync with sitting in the "sync" folder, so there shouldn't be any server-side rights issues as far as I can tell.

2019-02-25 16:33:00.794 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-02-25 16:33:00.815 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks?isHidden=false. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0
2019-02-25 16:33:00.816 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to ::1. Time: 1ms. http://localhost:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks?isHidden=false
2019-02-25 16:33:06.009 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://localhost:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/9c4589c712196c27894f665a58cc42e3. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:65.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/65.0
2019-02-25 16:33:06.009 Info TaskManager: Executing Cloud & Folder Sync
2019-02-25 16:33:06.010 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to ::1. Time: 1ms. http://localhost:8096/emby/ScheduledTasks/Running/9c4589c712196c27894f665a58cc42e3
2019-02-25 16:33:06.011 Info TaskManager: Cloud & Folder Sync Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds

Anyone @ Emby that can at least chime in with something?

KnightNZ

Something else I've noticed, there is no /Android/data/com.mb.android/files/logs/ directory on the device, but there IS a /Android/data/com.mb.android/files/sync folder, within which is a TV folder which has a directory name for the item I was trying to sync, so it gets as far as creating the eventual resting place for the file-to-be-synced.

The absence of the logs folder (assuming this is still valid) may be indicative of part of the problem?

I put a mSD card into the phone and told Emby to sync to that, and it prompt me for rights to write to the card, although it did generate the /Android/data/com.mb.android/files/emby_downloads/TV/Show/Season directory.

So, it can obviously write to the location ok, but there's a communication breakdown during the sync process.

Jdiesel

Its not a feature that I usually use but it was broken back in May when I reported it. I eventually just gave up and download the files manually and played them using VLC. Haven't tried offline sync since I got back from my vacation.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59386-synced-media-not-downloading-to-android-device/ 

dlokey22

The absence of the logs folder (assuming this is still valid) may be indicative of part of the problem?

I've read in another thread that the android app no longer write logs to the file system for performance reasons.  Which is unfortunate because the logs would probably show us exactly what's failing with external sync.

Edited by dlokey22

KnightNZ

I've read in another thread that the android app no longer write logs to the file system for performance reasons.  Which is unfortunate because the logs would probably show us exactly what's failing with external sync.

Makes sense. In the meantime I've cancelled my monthly subscription until such time as the feature is fixed as it's the only compelling feature provided to me by Premiere, I'll also just go back to manually copying files across and playing them with VLC. Disappointing given that at least one dev is actively reading\responding to other unrelated threads currently.

revengineer

This fix will not come from a user. A dev response is required and they have not been responding in threads on this issue for 3 months.

Fact is that I have never seen so many people complain about this issue as in the past 4 months. It seems the move to the Android Download manager helped fewer people than the large group of people having issues now.

The workaround for now is to use Airdroid or similar to transfer files and VLC to watch them; emby is not part of this workaround.

Dizzy49

I can confirm that the download/sync WAS working for INTERNAL storage three weeks ago.  I used it quite often while traveling.

I switched phones, and it got an OS upgrade two weeks ago.  I just checked the App Permissions for Emby and the Storage permission was OFF.

I initiated several Downloads on my OnePlus, but when I went into Download and Sync on the Server they are queued up for my Asus Tablet, not my OnePlus.

I cleared out all of the downloads and initiated one from my OnePlus phone again and it queued up on the server to my Asus Tablet again.

For good measure I restarted Emby Server and still had the issue.

I have attached several logs.

hardware_detection-63687291812.txt  embyserver.txt  embyserver-63687291807.txt

Fibrewire

I'm in the same boat as @@KnightNZ

Sync status just sits on "Ready to transfer" and nothing further appears to take place, the ability to sync video to my mobile is the reason i use emby/pay for premium, 

I know that my config was good/working previously (around 1 month ago), Im now resorting to opening the web version and downloading the files in their entirity via chrome, then playing back with VLC,

- This is happening over the WAN and the LAN

- I only have internal storage

- Application permissions are good (i have even reinstalled to ensure)
- Running server version 4.0.2.0
- Device is an Huawei P Smart 2019 running Android v9
- Application version 3.0.35
- I can trigger the sync job manually but it stops immediately asif it had nothing to do
(2019-03-05 16:21:17.293 Info TaskManager: Cloud & Folder Sync Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds)

- I have tried multiple bitrates including "Original"

There are stack traces within my log files that could be relevant (similar to @Dizzy49):

2019-03-05 14:24:09.418 Error HttpServer: WebSocket ConnectionClosedPrematurely

2019-03-05 14:24:30.011 Info HttpServer: HTTP GET http://{REDACTED}:8096/emby/Sync/JobItems/62/File. UserAgent: AndroidDownloadManager/9 (Linux; U; Android 9; POT-LX1 Build/HUAWEIPOT-L01)

2019-03-05 14:24:30.013 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.0.2.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Fibrewire\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Processor count: 8
    Program data path: C:\Users\Fibrewire\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application directory: C:\Users\Fibrewire\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException: Exception of type 'MediaBrowser.Common.Extensions.ResourceNotFoundException' was thrown.
     at Emby.Server.Sync.Api.SyncService.Get(GetSyncJobItemFile request)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.GetTaskResult(Task task)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.Sync
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
     at Emby.Server.Sync.Api.SyncService.Get(GetSyncJobItemFile request)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.GetTaskResult(Task task)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
     at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Edited by Fibrewire
  • Like 1

DeanONH

I am also in the same boat as KnightNZ.  I am running Plex & Emby servers on a Qnap TS-251+ NAS.  I converted from Plex to Emby because of download issues.  I am a yearly Plex Pass holder.  My wife & I are both on Galaxy Note9.  Android 8.1 downloaded music files to external SD just fine; Android 9.0 does not.

I am saddened by the lack of dev response to the issue; reminds me of Plex ignoring chronic issues.

I will cancel my Emby subscription if Emby devs don't respond in a timely manner.

Edited by DeanONH

KnightNZ

Has been an ongoing issue for quite some time now, so far as far as I'm aware no one @ Emby has commented on the matter at all which is a tad concerning, have given up using the application until such time that the issue is ever resolved, with more devices receiving Android 9 it will only become a bigger problem for them over time so will hopefully become important enough that someone will look into it.

• Like 1

jonboyuk

I have to say, given the responses nearly every other thread gets (even when it's just one or two posts) how this is being bypassed entirely is strange. Please can any of the main mods at least acknowledge this?

Fibrewire

It is unusual, the admins/devs are very active in all surrounding topics...

...I will give it another day, if there's still no word ill create a new topic following the "How to Report a Problem" guidelines more strictly, 

They (understandably) seem to be sticklers for that sometimes

imthedoctor

If the problem is permissions can't we just give them more permission to save to external. This is really BS, plex can save ti external still, why can't Emby?

abescalamis

I'm using the beta app and it updated yesterday, and it started to work, so, just be a bit patient it will work soon.

jonboyuk

If they're actively doing something about it - why not at least say in this thread, given that it's "hot"!

• Like 1

imthedoctor

I'm using the beta app and it updated yesterday, and it started to work, so, just be a bit patient it will work soon.

What beta are you in? I'm in the beta program and it still doesn't work

jonboyuk

Well, we're getting closer. New update today fixes it for me on internal storage, which would be fine if I had any spare!

It now always goes to "transferring", but will not download to my SD card. It does have permission incidentally.

KnightNZ

Reinstalled it, app didn't even request Storage permission, added it manually, restarted everything, still doesn't work. Uninstalled again.

jonboyuk

Reinstalled it, app didn't even request Storage permission, added it manually, restarted everything, still doesn't work. Uninstalled again.

Would it download to internal?

imthedoctor

Yeah it downloads to internal. But they what's the point of having an sd card and saving money on internal storage versions of phones.

KnightNZ

No, internal doesn't work. I've got >100GB free so not a space issue. Don't even have an mSD in my phone, not needed.

• Like 2