Downloading stuck on "Ready to transfer" - Android Pie Issue

jonboyuk

jonboyuk

Hopefully a quick question!

I have Emby Server running on a Synology NAS. Out of my devices, two are Android:

• Samsung Note 10.1 2014 (Tablet) running Android Marshmallow
  • Samsung Note 9 (Phone) running Android Pie

Both are connected over WiFi, same app, with the same permissions to allow access to the SD card. 

The Note 10.1 downloads movies fine. The Note 9 doesn't, it just sits on "Ready to transfer" in the download window. 

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks :)

Edited by jonboyuk
  • Like 4

dlokey22

You aren't doing anything wrong.  I think Android Pie changed the permissions required to access the External SD card.  So the Emby app would have to be coded to accommodate it.   I have the same issue.  With my Samsung S9 (Pie), I can't get it to sync/download to External SD card, but with my Nvidia K1 Tablet (Nougat) it could sync/download to external SD card just fine

revengineer

This issue spans several devices and versions of Android. The devs know about it but do not seem to be in a rush to fix it.

revengineer

You would think. Let me know if you get an answer wrt priority. I have seen of the order of 10 app updates since I provided detailed logs on this bug, none of them even attempted to address the issue.

Bazzu85

I'm starting to have download problem too..

Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite

Android Pie

last android beta version

server version 4.0.2.0 (windows 10)

I see a couple of series in "ready to transfer" and one in "queued"

update: setting some new series in download manager works fine. the old series (even removing the download entries and re-adding it) stuck on ready to transfer..

I've tested new series on the same library and folder of the old series not syncing..

update2: I tried removing the content non downloading from the server (move file out directory, update library) and re-adding the same file and rescanning..

now is downloading everything.. anyone knows what cause this issue?

Edited by Bazzu85

KnightNZ

It's not just an external media issue, I've got no mSD card in my Note 9 and still have this issue, renders Emby totally useless for me. Tried manually running the download schedule from the server side and it completes immediately having done apparently nothing.

Trying to move away from Plex due to their broken app, this is not helping.

dlokey22

It's not just an external media issue, I've got no mSD card in my Note 9 and still have this issue, renders Emby totally useless for me. Tried manually running the download schedule from the server side and it completes immediately having done apparently nothing.

Trying to move away from Plex due to their broken app, this is not helping.

That's interesting because I'm not having this issue on my Galaxy S9. I can sync/download to the internal storage. It does everything automatically. But as soon as I switch the location to external on the Android app, the sync/download fails (the notification for download appears for a second then it stops) and the server continually shows ready to transfer.

KnightNZ

That's interesting because I'm not having this issue on my Galaxy S9. I can sync/download to the internal storage. It does everything automatically. But as soon as I switch the location to external on the Android app, the sync/download fails (the notification for download appears for a second then it stops) and the server continually shows ready to transfer.

I am running Android 9, which may possibly be a factor.

I tried that but it didn't work for me :( Although now it says "transferring" but still stays at 0%!

That's normal, while transferring the percentage doesn't change.

Afaik this is a known "issue".

Give it some time and it should sync eventually.

jonboyuk

Oh okay. It does move on my tablet though as expected. It's gone back to 'ready to transfer' oddly, and I'm back to square one.

The Devs are usually really active in these forums, but no one seems to be commenting on this...

It took me some time to figure it out but I have it working properly right now on my Xiaomi Mi8 Pro (also Android Pie).

The only difference is I am using the internal storage instead of external.

revengineer

It took me some time to figure it out but I have it working properly right now on my Xiaomi Mi8 Pro (also Android Pie).

The only difference is I am using the internal storage instead of external.

Some devices, e.g., Amazon Fire tablets, have so little internal storage that this is not an acceptable workaround. The sync feature is broken and there is presently no solution. I know because I have probably spent more time than all of you together to debug this. 

@@revengineer, shouldn't you be saying "sync is broken for external storage"?

I can't confirm that it is broken for internal storage. Actually, it is working as expected in my case.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you are at least annoyed with the current situation as it the issue has been around for quite a time now.

revengineer

@@revengineer, shouldn't you be saying "sync is broken for external storage"?

I can't confirm that it is broken for internal storage. Actually, it is working as expected in my case.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you are at least annoyed with the current situation as it the issue has been around for quite a time now.

You are correct "sync broken for external storage for some devices." My Fire tablet is affected, although internal storage works on this device. Unfortunately the internal storage is so small, that it cannot even hold a single movie. On the other hand, my Moto G5S is not affected; both internal and external storage work fine for syncing. 

Sorry for reacting pesky, my apology. I just want to make sure that people (most importantly the devs) understand that this is not a user error and that there is no workaround for devices with issues. Emby has been improving continuously in most aspects, but this one bug is a step back that is becoming a killer for my travel. If there is no solution, I will have to look for alternatives.

Have you guys tried to turn off all the energy saving stuff for the Emby app?

On default settings I have always to open the app first before it starts syncing.

Not sure if this is applicable to your situation though.