External Subtitles not displayed on the list of subtitles in my TV Show library.

uberstar100

uberstar100

Hi, I've put my subtitles on the same folder where the content is in and I made sure of the format that it's supposed to be in (Aaaaa.eng.srt, I think) and I've restarted and scanned my emby server several times, and I still get no external subtitles. What should I do? Also, is there any specific format for Episode and Season external subtitles or can I name the subtitles however I want, just as long as the language is formatted perfectly (Aaaaa.ara.S01E01.srt)?

Edited by uberstar100

unclebob88

Hi, I've put my subtitles on the same folder where the content is in and I made sure of the format that it's supposed to be in (Aaaaa.eng.srt, I think) and I've restarted and scanned my emby server several times, and I still get no external subtitles. What should I do? Also, is there any specific format for Episode and Season external subtitles or can I name the subtitles however I want, just as long as the language is formatted perfectly (Aaaaa.ara.S01E01.srt)?

See https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69970-subtitles-not-showing/page-2

uberstar100

Hi there, can you please go over an example?

So I've found the solution, I had to rename my external subtitles within the tv show folder/movie folder EXACTLY what the Show/Movie is named in the file AND put the language in the external subtitles too, but according to the wiki, you can do either, but not necessarily both. That doesn't work for me unfortunately, in this case I have to do both which gets pretty bothersome. (If the filename of the episode of the show is "Young Justice BRRip 1080p HEVC S3E01.mkv", then I would have to do what I just explained if I want to add an external subtitle.)

Edited by uberstar100

rbjtech

..so that's the normal requirements for subtitles as this ensures the correct subtitles work with the correct video file (as you can have multiple video files in a single folder - otherwise how would emby know which one it is applicable to ?)

For the .srt renaming, then for just a couple (and if using Windows) just 'copy' the file name portion of the video file (it will highlight) and then rename the subtitle, pasting in the previously copied file name - add a .english.srt or whatever on the end - but as you correctly say, you do not need it BUT emby will define it as 'undefined' which is a bit ugly imo.  Also add .forced. if you want to ensure the subtitle is ALWAYS selected by default - ie filename.forced.english.srt

uberstar100

@@uberstar100, what were they named before? can you give an example? Thanks !

Sure, so as an example, before I renamed it to "Young Justice BRRip 1080p HEVC S3E01.swe.srt" (which is the way Emby accepts external subtitles for me), it was named.. lets say.. "YJ BRRIp S03E01.srt". Again, according to the documentation, it states that you either add a language acronym, ".swe" in this case or the subtitles has to have the same name as the video file, though for me I have to do both for all my subtitles which I find a bit tedious and I find it strange that you have to do both and not either like it is stated. Hopefully everything is clear now, thank you.

Right but it always has to start with the filename of the video, you can't just have the subtitles randomly named. Does that make sense?