Can't fast forward or rewind since 4.0.0.0

dr0ther

Hello, I have a docker setup on Debian-9. Ever since 4.0.0.0 I can't fast forward or rewind. It seems to work on the web page on my laptop, but not on a Roku 4. It's the same with the regular version or Beta Roku version. Every version later than 4.0.0.0 all the way to beta have the issue, but 3.6.0.84 does not.

Thanks!

roku logs.txt

Edited by dr0ther

That usually indicates the Roku wasn't told how long the file was. It is missing length/duration. Did you complete a full scan of your library prior to playing that item? It may be the Roku can see the file but has not been checked by ffprobe yet. This would make the Roku believe it is a live stream and not offer any transport controls. To get rewind in this instance you would have to pause and then build a back buffer the same as a DVR would do. The Roku can only buffer live streams with pause. Rewind and fast forward will only work on live streams inside a pause buffer.

Edited by speechles

Ok I looked, it never creates a ffmpeg log. When I do pause it, it usually goes back to somewhere between 1:30 and 8 minutes into the show no matter where I am at.

Also, it doesnt do it with every file, just some of them.

Ok well yes this is certainly a problem that we need to look at regarding web app playback.

Roku on the other hand is possibly a different story. In all cases in your logs here, it is direct playing to Roku. Does the web app detail screen show a known runtime for these titles that you're unable to seek on Roku?

@@speechles how can we diagnose this? thanks.

Can you also refresh the metadata on this item in the web app? Then give it a minute and try to play again. Thanks.

Ok well yes this is certainly a problem that we need to look at regarding web app playback.

Roku on the other hand is possibly a different story. In all cases in your logs here, it is direct playing to Roku. Does the web app detail screen show a known runtime for these titles that you're unable to seek on Roku?

Yes, it shows a runtime.

@@dr0ther, do you have other titles with subtitles that you can test in the web app? Thanks.

Yes! Today I tried it on my mobile phone web app (iphone safari) and it works fine.

Can you also refresh the metadata on this item in the web app? Then give it a minute and try to play again. Thanks.

I refreshed the metadata and it did not change the outcome.

@@ebr might be able to see debug logs for the app and see what is happening.

But.. some of the logging is done via print commands because it is printing objects to screen. These objects might be required to see what they contain. We would need access to his server via emby invite or we would need a sample file that we can try to get the same issue ourselves.

@@dr0ther Can you enable debugging in the Roku app. Use the settings then exit using the home button. You have to restart the app after changing debug options to ON. Now play an item and wait for the issue to surface. As soon as it does then go back to the homescreen. At the bottom as the last row will be an options row. In this row will be the Send Log button. Use this to send the logs to us after you see the issue. Once you do this perhaps these can show us what is happening but it may not. We may need access to your server with an invite to see this. We can also use a sample video you have that has the issue but it may not have the issue when used with our Emby server. The best way is to invite both "speechles" and "ebr" to your server. Let us know when you have and how to navigate to the problem item. We can then experience the same issue you see and the debug is more robust when directly accessing the server than the app can log normally.

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...

@@dr0ther can you attach a new log of the playback attempt following the metadata refresh? thanks.

Sorry, I have been deaing with changing jobs the last week. I’ll get you the logs shortly @@Luke!

Edited by dr0ther

Here is a video of what happens. I press ff and it it pauses at some early time, and doesn't go any further. If I press play, it resumes where I was. If I rewind, it goes to the early timestamp it paused and takes over from there. I could be an hour into a movie, and if I press rewind, it won't let me go any further forward than the the 1-8 minutes into the show.

IMG_1684.MOV

I invited @@speechles and @@ebr to see if they can see the issue remotely. The example I'm using is movie Venom (2018). It seems about 50% of the media I have is doing this. I am using a Roku 4 if that matters. I can go back to 3.6.0.84 at any time and it fixes the issue.

Edited by dr0ther

This is weird.. Okay I accpeted the invite. I am on your server. I see venom and some others all at 50% or so. Try to resume one and of course it transcodes. My bandwidth is somewhere around 6MB/s in this area. Not fast enough to play directly so it transcodes. But I see the issue. In trying to fast-fwd the BIF are broken. There are 4 images in your BIF and that is it. Try to go beyond the last one and pops you back to the start of the video.

NhsAom5.png

Can you uninstall the Roku thumbnail plugin and see if the items allow seeking. It will show no thumbnails in this view but should allow you to seek.

It looks like something is wrong with the BIF files created on your system. These look to be recordings. Perhaps the BIF process for these is running too soon and before they complete? This would cause the problem. @@Luke is this problem a difference in stable versus beta?

Ok I got home earlier than expected. Removing Roku thumbnails fixed it.

I was just going to say I retried your server and yes indeed it fixed it. :)

@@Luke The issue here is Roku BIF generation on recordings too early before they complete.

Edited by speechles