Wrong Aspect Ratio

Blatherscribe

quackpipe

I just wanted to chime in on this. I have two Roku TVs.

Sharp Roku TV - Software Version 9.0.0 Build 4151

-Displays everything perfectly, direct stream from server

Insignia Roku TV - Software Version 9.0.0 Build 4142

-Defaults a "fill screen" aspect ratio on everything whether it should have letterboxes or pillar boxes.  The Roku is set to auto and I can't seem to find the transcode settings needed to correct it on the one TV. Kind of don't want to mess with it since my Sharp is working great.

can I also say, I just stumbled upon Emby last night and I'm already obsessed. It makes it so much easier. Thank you thank you thank you for creating such an awesome and versatile tool.

I just wanted to chime in on this. I have two Roku TVs.

Sharp Roku TV - Software Version 9.0.0 Build 4151

-Displays everything perfectly, direct stream from server

Insignia Roku TV - Software Version 9.0.0 Build 4142

-Defaults a "fill screen" aspect ratio on everything whether it should have letterboxes or pillar boxes.  The Roku is set to auto and I can't seem to find the transcode settings needed to correct it on the one TV. Kind of don't want to mess with it since my Sharp is working great.

can I also say, I just stumbled upon Emby last night and I'm already obsessed. It makes it so much easier. Thank you thank you thank you for creating such an awesome and versatile tool.

Thanks for the feedback ! Can you go over an example of what you're playing on the Roku TV? Are you sure the server is transcoding?

quackpipe

1080p MKV and 1080p MP4s

Ya know, I'm not TOO sure it's transcoding but when I went to the "info for nerds" section, it said something about it. Attaching screen shots from both systems below.

5d0effa478d51_insigniaROKUIMG_5036.jpg

5d0effb811352_SHARPRokuIMG_5040.jpg

Nether of those is transcoding.  One of them is re-muxing to a different container due to an error trying to direct play it.  The other is direct playing.

So, I don't think the display issue you are seeing is related to that at all.  It must be related to display settings on the device.  Our app has no zoom type settings or capability in it.

quackpipe

To clarify, It's not zooming, it's just filling the screen. So a movie that should be letterboxed is stretching top-to-bottom and an older movie that should be pillarboxed is stretching side-to-side. Reading previous posts on here, sounds like it's a Roku software issue. Seems like it's down to the specific build on my side though because both TVs are running the same version.  Roku hasn't pushed an update out since feb/mar so maybe I'll see one soon.

Thanks for clarifying the remux/transcode is the direct play error caused by a bandwidth issue or something on my Roku side? Or maybe it's just hard to tell since you aren't here looking at it.

Thanks again.

Unfortunately it is the TV manufacturer not allowing some resolutions. It will upscale you. This is the effect you are seeing. Those cheaper Roku TV cannot support all the same native resolutions that normal Roku TV (and Roku set-top-boxes) are capable of. The upscaling with cause your TV to stretch-to-fill and distort aspect ratio or possibly even zoom-to-fill and cut off the edges. There is unfortunately no way around this because this is the TV circuitry upscaling the resolution.

What resolution media are you playing that has this problem? Is this 400-480p? Is this 720 and 1080p?

A Roku firmware update may eventually fix this issue. You might want to post on Roku forums about the issue and see if that can get more eyes/attention focused in your direction. Insignia is the problem.

Fox-Sports same zoom issue on insignia:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=104783&p=576874&hilit=insignia+zoom#p576874

Another user with insignia TV:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94515&p=529337&hilit=insignia+cut#p529337

Edited by speechles

quackpipe

That's what I thought, it's mostly 1080p material and a little 720p and 480p. I'll submit to the Roku community. Thank you.