Emby Server Crash as it starts (Mojave 10.14.3, Emby, 4.0.2.0

jpcyr

Installed by dragging to Applications folder.

Launching the Emby server for the first time. I see the icon in the menu bar for a brief 1 second and then nothing. The Wizard doesn't start or anything. 

Uninstall, reboot, install again, reboot, same thing.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by jpcyr

For what I can see in Library/Logs or from the Console on Mac, I cannot find anything related to "emby". I think the app hasn't the chance to even start properly, so no logs. Let me know if there is any other way I can find a log for it.

I installed also 4.0.1.0 and 4.0.0.2 and same thing. They crash immediately.

Same here.  Tried installing Emby 4.0.2.0.

Emby on MacOS stopped working.  Can't run it at all.  Can't install or uninstall it.  Rebooting didn't make a difference.

On MacOS 10.14.3, Mac Mini 2018, lots of RAM and storage.    

There is nothing under /Users/{username}/.config/emby-server.

There is a /Users/{username}/library/Application Support/Emby Tray  folder but it is empty. 

Edited by Danno

Nothing under .config no... Same as for the Emby Tray. The folder is there, but empty.

I'm sad to hear that others have the same problem, but at the same time I feel less alone. There is something conflicting with the proper installation of Emby, but it's hard to pinpoint what it is.

I better like the Emby Media Player interface on Roku, but for the time being I had to switch to Plex. I had no problem installing the Plex Server on Mac.

Edited by jpcyr

Tony Gunk

We're looking into this, thanks guys. 

I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29).

Same thing except it wouldn't start at all yesterday so I trashed it along w/ the preferences file (only thing AppCleaner found). Didn't reboot b/c of a GPU issue.

Today, I reinstalled but it still won't start and there's no indication of it in Activity Monitor. If I open it too many times, macOS claims it can't because it’s either not responding or it's not open.

I've still got the folder in my .config folder. The files haven't been modified since yesterday.

I'll try deleting the config folder now along with the app, etc.

EDIT: I attached the logs folder. Made a copy of the config folder too, just let me know if I should attach here or send in a PM or whatever.

logs.zip

Edited by Tony Gunk

I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29).

Same thing except it wouldn't start at all yesterday so I trashed it along w/ the preferences file (only thing AppCleaner found). Didn't reboot b/c of a GPU issue.

Today, I reinstalled but it still won't start and there's no indication of it in Activity Monitor. If I open it too many times, macOS claims it can't because it’s either not responding or it's not open.

I've still got the folder in my .config folder. The files haven't been modified since yesterday.

I'll try deleting the config folder now along with the app, etc.

EDIT: I attached the logs folder. Made a copy of the config folder too, just let me know if I should attach here or send in a PM or whatever.

Can you try rebooting your machine? Thanks.

Tony Gunk

Can you try rebooting your machine? Thanks.

Ok, I deleted everything again and rebooted.

Launched it once, went through setup + added a movies folder, exited server from the menubar, launched it again... same thing, no menu bar icon & can't access via last visited localhost URLs. 

Dk if this is normal behavior or not: There's 2 instances of Emby Server process in Activity Monitor now. First one (907) had the parent of launchd. Second one (1249) says the parent process is the first process (907) . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attached logs again. Also sampled each process if that helps. Let me know if you need anything else from the .config folder.

logs.zip

Sample of EmbyServer 1.txt

Sample of EmbyServer 2.txt

usesembyalot

Same issue here. I have to restart my Mac for Emby to start. Then if I ever shut it down, it will not start. i have to restart the MAc again. 

I gladly give you any logs you need to troubleshoot. 

Had the same issue along with network problems. So I totally removed Emby for MacOS and re installed. For some reason it works as intended now. Network issue seemed to be about Firewall rules prior to installation. Automatically allow software to allow connections are checked.

Mojave 10.14.3

Emby 4.0.2

The Emby server was very unstable prior to re instillation, so gather it was the server update that resulted in this behaviour

AZRichG

Is it still normal (or okay I guess) to see two Emby processes in the activity monitor? One with no CPU % and a couple minutes of time and the other appearing to be the one doing all the work?