Uverse

Theangelofspace15

MBSki
10 minutes ago, Sammy said:

You can use MCEBuddy to remove commercials, compress to HEVC and put in any library you like or you can point Emby to the library(ies) created by ChannelsDVR. It'd be nice if Emby would natively support TVE though. 

Yep, for now I've actually got Plex for my DVR since I can add to specific libraries from the UI and set it to mark commercials. Much simpler than MCEBuddy.

12 minutes ago, Sammy said:

BTW, for locals you can use locast in a similar manner as this if locast is available in your area.. or use a good old fashioned antenna and an HDHomeRun Connect Quatro tuner.

It looks like I can get to the locals through Verizon FiOS TV Everywhere. One less thing to configure. 😁 

BTW, what makes you think CableCARD is gone? I'm still using it and just moved whereby Spectrum set it up again for me with my Prime Tuners.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, Sammy said:

BTW, what makes you think CableCARD is gone? I'm still using it and just moved whereby Spectrum set it up again for me with my Prime Tuners.

It's not gone yet, but gone eventually. FCC basically said there's no mandate for television companies to provide a CableCard (FCC drops rule requiring cable companies to provide CableCARDs - The Desk (matthewkeys.net)). I'm hopeful that Verizon FiOS will keep it for several years, but I'd imagine they'll get rid of it eventually. Could be many years away though. 

True, but they need to also provide an alternate means of accessing the content. To date, Charter Spectrum has not provided an AndroidTV app so they are non-compliant. Add to this the fact that all their existing equipment is CableCARD based and it is a huge investment to upgrade STB's and DVR's this will not be happening anytime soon, probably not in the next 5 to 10 years..

MBSki

@Sammy I've just done a little bit of testing, but so far, I'm really liking the ability to add TVE channels. It's tempting to drop at least 1 of my CableCards (and maybe even unplug my TiVo) and just use the TVE tuner. The only drawback appears to be the fact that video quality from TVE is slightly inferior to the CableCard or OTA version. It's decent, but not quite as good. It works well as a backup if all the other tuners are full though. 😁

• Like 2