Upgrade CPU or add GPU for transcoding?

lightsout

lightsout

I have an Intel 4570s, 4c/4t. I can grab a used gtx 1060 or a 4770/k for about the same price. Trying to figure out what is the best upgrade path.

Basically I am trying to take some load off the CPU, I am using quicksync which is good, but I have a fair amount of ripped DVDs that seem to stress the cpu. 

Plus with only 4c/4t it doesn't take much to get the cpu bogged down if it starts doing something else.

According to this chart https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix a 1060 can do two streams at once, seems like that would free up the cpu 

for things like running comskip and recording HDTV.

Any thoughts on which may be the better path?

It would be sweet if we could start collecting data for some recommended builds. Like renethx used to do back in the day at avsforum (anyone remember those threads?)

Edited by lightsout

mastrmind11

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just re-encode your ripped dvd's into something that is streaming friendly?

lightsout

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just re-encode your ripped dvd's into something that is streaming friendly?

I guess it could be, although that is a can of worms itself (encoding interlaced material). But I think I would rather take the approach of having a server

that is strong enough to take whatever I throw at it. And also be able to perform other tasks.

mastrmind11

I guess it could be, although that is a can of worms itself (encoding interlaced material). But I think I would rather take the approach of having a server

that is strong enough to take whatever I throw at it. And also be able to perform other tasks.

well "whatever I throw at it" is relative.  But you seem to have done your research, so if 2 concurrent transcodes is all you think you'll need, go for the gpu you listed.

lightsout

well "whatever I throw at it" is relative.  But you seem to have done your research, so if 2 concurrent transcodes is all you think you'll need, go for the gpu you listed.

Yes I just threw that out there. Not really a concrete statement. But it would be great if the community could start pooling data so we could have a better understanding on transcoding abilities and hardware needs for specific tasks. 

I would be happy to help bring some input. I know there are many variables but still.

Yeah that GPU chart looks good but its basically all 264/265. Not sure how a gpu for instance can handle deinterlacing mpeg2.