Playback fails, shows logo

hootie318

hootie318

I came home today and went to play from the emby server which is installed on a Windows 10 PC. I am running Kodi on a raspberry pi 3+. When I go to stream anything from the emby server the logo displays on the screen and it plays for 5 seconds then returns to the list of movies.

Anyone have this happen?

Angelblue05

You are using the new beta version. You are testing the new playback approach, obviously something is not working right.

Always provide your kodi log when reporting your issue so that it can be looked into. Let’s not waste time guessing.

Edit: Sorry I couldn't provide the links sooner. Here it is, 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/how-to-report-an-issue

Thank you!

Edited by Angelblue05

flatline69

I updated as well -- rebuilt my library but playback fails from movie hub. Works fine from recently added, search, menu->play, etc. @@Angelblue05 this is the same issue I reported way back when, same circumstances. I'll try to grab a log here but my kid just commandeered the TV. I didn't see the Emby logo before I rebuilt my db but this time I did. It started to play but timed out or something because I got an error but could see it playing in the background. Once I clicked OK for error message playback stopped.

Emby Server 4.0.0.2

CoreELEC 8.99.2 (LEIA proper)

Embuary 18.6.10

Emby for Kodi 4.0.6a

EDIT: Yeah, got the log, lots of timeouts before it bailed to error dialog. Look for "the 6th day" in the logfile attached.

EDIT: Grabbed the relevant server-side logging too; not in debug mode but may help.

EDIT: Was looking through the commits and saw this and wonder if I'm running into it as my Mecool KI Pro is connected via Powerline Ethernet vs WiFi or true wired Ethernet: f0ff5633b58a34ba70c1c05199edd9fa48bb996a (speed up playback)

EDIT: Seems to have an issue with the loading-mp4 files :( It does load every so often (playback) but stalls on the loading-mp4 files more often than not.

01_KODI.zip

kodi-server.txt

Edited by flatline69

Angelblue05

Can you install this custom build? Let me know if it makes a difference and provide a new Kodi log when reporting back. Thank you.

flatline69

Can you install this custom build? Let me know if it makes a difference and provide a new Kodi log when reporting back. Thank you.

Will do.

flatline69

@@Angelblue05

OK, installed new version and reset the changes I made from 4.0.6a (namely: emby->blank and force http playback which helped but still has a similar issue, you'll see it in the log attached.)

Tried the same movie, the process as follows:

1) Installed 4.0.6b; reset settings, reboot

2) Go into ADULTS movie hub; in poster view, The 6th Day is the 2nd movie in the list with Sinbad preceding it and Cloverfield Lane and 13 Assassins after it (can see it mentioned in the log) probably because I move left/right after playback to see if UI is responding but log almost seems to indicate it's trying to play them?

3) Pressed OK on The 6th Day and waited. Screen went back. My butt-dyno calculated roughly 1 minute in black screen then error dialog about failed playback comes up and I can see the movie playing in the background (dimmed due to forefront dialog.) Once I press OK for error message, playback stops and I return to poster-view of ADULTS hub

4) Tried Menu->Play; saw nothing except a "blip" and back to ADULTS hub

5) Tried menu->Play; saw briefly (very) the emby loading video and then playback starts; almost like it's cached now?

Please let me know what else I can do. FAF (to be expected, people are always ungrateful ;)) is way down and seen as a regression as (early 4.x versions) pre-new-playback-model it was pretty much instantaneous playback when you clicked OK on remote from any view. I even upgraded my Emby Server to 4.0.2.0 to  make sure I was using the latest to rule that out.

EDIT: Reviewed the log; it appears to me, that while loading The 6th Day, it's trying to play the next movies in sequence/order while trying to spool up the emby-loading video?

EDIT: So I made the previous changes; emby loading->black, force http->off and re-tried. It's actually worse. This time however, when I saw the loading spinner I could see in the background as the spinner spun, the "cursor" moved through 5-6 titles (highlighted them) which explains why it's seen in the log in my opinion. I've just reset my DB and resynching this time in native mode to see if it's any faster.

01_KODI.zip

Edited by flatline69
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

What you stated, that other titles seems to initiate playback even though that's not the case, you navigated. That's the problem here. But I also think something is maybe causing Kodi to not properly load the mp4 video hmm...

What if you switch to Estuary (you are using Embuary right now, correct?)... does this still happen? Restart Kodi to be sure.

I'm trying to understand why this is happening. That's likely the real issue here.

16:50:14.678 T:3255477104  NOTICE: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder - using V4L2 pts format: 64Bit
16:50:14.866 T:3436012400  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::OnExit()
Edited by Angelblue05

flatline69

What you stated, that other titles seems to initiate playback even though that's not the case, you navigated. That's the problem here. But I also think something is maybe causing Kodi to not properly load the mp4 video hmm...

What if you switch to Estuary (you are using Embuary right now, correct?)... does this still happen? Restart Kodi to be sure.

I'm trying to understand why this is happening. That's likely the real issue here.

16:50:14.678 T:3255477104  NOTICE: CAMLCodec::OpenDecoder - using V4L2 pts format: 64Bit
16:50:14.866 T:3436012400  NOTICE: CVideoPlayer::OnExit()

Yes, I noted that above - when I switched to force http->off I could see in the background while the loading spinner started that the cursor was moving forward through other titles. Now trying native mode to see how that works. Once I complete that test, I'll reset again back to addon-mode and try Estuary and update you.

Angelblue05

I'm thinking something about our emby-loading.mp4 is maybe failing to load on this platform? It triggers on playback stop and tries to load other videos in the playlist, but it's not ready and fails.

Let me repack a new build with a different format for emby-loading.mp4 to see if it behaves correctly then. Really wish you'd wait before blowing up your setup.... ah well...

Edited by Angelblue05

flatline69

I'm thinking something about our emby-loading.mp4 is maybe failing to load on this platform? It triggers on playback stop and tries to load other videos in the playlist, but it's not ready and fails.

Let me repack a new build with a different format for emby-loading.mp4 to see if it behaves correctly then. Really wish you'd wait before blowing up your setup.... ah well...

It's a long weekend, I got time to try this :)

I should have waited but I'm an impatient person and need to figure things out or it bothers me. Sorry about that.

Angelblue05

I get it :)

Here's the build. I changed the mp4s to avi. Let's see how Kodi reacts (provide a new log as usual), thanks!

Edit: You can skip testing with a different skin, I don't think the skin is the issue.

plugin.video.emby-4.0.6c.zip

Edited by Angelblue05

flatline69

OK, direct mode works as expected, it's instantaneous no delays. I've installed 4.0.6c and re-synchronizing in addon mode and will report back (takes about an hour for me due to size.)

If I encounter the same problem, I'll go ahead and try Estuary anyways just to be thorough and submit logs.

flatline69

OK so converting to AVI makes it much faster, this time I can see the emby-loading (with green logo/icon) but it keeps starting/stopping and finally stops and plays a movie 5-6 further away from what I selected. I also tried Estuary and it does the same thing. On the plus side, the emby-loading is pretty much instant for me now when it plays. Something is definitely causing navigation to occur when I click on the wanted title (The 6th Day) -- I made sure to reboot to verify with Estuary.

01_KODI.zip

• Like 1

Angelblue05

If you want to switch back to stable in the mean time ( you don't need to do any reset), I will let you know when I'm ready for you to test. I think I see the issue on my firetv stick. It might seem better, but it still exits playback before the add-on adds the item to playlist.

Edited by Angelblue05

flatline69

Went back to 4.0.5 from stable -- still takes a minute for content to load but it loads the right one. Direct-access is instant in comparison regardless of title but at least my family won't lynch me while I'm out of town next week :) Thanks @@Angelblue05

• Like 1