Failed at the first jump: Installed but cannot connect to configure

phillipmcmahon

phillipmcmahon

Hi there, looking to move from Plex to emby on my QNAP TS-673

Downloaded the latest package emby-server-qnap_4.0.2.0_x86_64.qpkg, installed with no seemingly no error. However when going to launch the app to configure in the browser, I just get a connection error message in the browser.

The URL is https://192.168.1.28:8920 (192.168.1.28 being the internal IP of my NAS), I tried using plain old HTTP and that also gives a connection error.

I ssh'ed to my NAS and did a netstat -a | grep 8920 and something looks to be listening.

tcp        0      0 :::8920                 :::*                    LISTEN

Not quite sure where to go from here. Help :0)

phillipmcmahon

Here is the quickest answer to my own question...

I realised the non SSL listening port is 8096, popping this url in work http://192.168.1.28:8096

Although interesting that the default install took to me something clearly not working...

Hi, it's because we can't force that QNAP button to go to the http version, it's out of our control. The HTTPS version will work if you setup an SSL certificate in the advanced section. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

phillipmcmahon

It was a more a case of not being able to do a thing as the URL I was forwarded to simply didn't work. I have to force the non SSL protocol and port number. Once done then I could configure it easily. Maybe a note can be put in the release notes for the package. I am sure you must be able to control what goes in there?

I stuck it behind my nginx RP, and don't need to make use of a emby specific cert.

However, as I am really only making connections from the nginx RP which sits on the same box running in a container I would like to restrict emby to only accept connections from that host. My RP has a .49 address, emby has a .28. Putting the RP address in the allowed IPs didn't work and blocked all remote access.

Is there some setting I am missing?

However, as I am really only making connections from the nginx RP which sits on the same box running in a container I would like to restrict emby to only accept connections from that host. My RP has a .49 address, emby has a .28. Putting the RP address in the allowed IPs didn't work and blocked all remote access.

Is there some setting I am missing?

Regarding these, have you explored the advanced settings in the emby server dashboard?

phillipmcmahon

Absolutely, and there doesn't seem to be a method to only limit to my RP.

There is a setting to white list WAN IPs but I actually just want to limit connections to emby from my IP.

If I untick the setting to allow external connections then nothing can come in, and white listing a WAN IP isn't what I am looking to do.

phillipmcmahon

But it's emby I want to restrict to only accept connections from the RP. It's more a technicality as my firewall only allows connections in to my RP but the extra restriction would have been nice if possible.

Thanks for your responses. Appreciated.

Now just have to work out why hardware transcoding doesn't seem to work. My CPU is getting maxed out and the onboard Nvidia 1050 GTi is idling at 1%.

pir8radio

cant you bind emby to 127.0.0.1 and send the RP requests to 127.0.0.1? making emby not respond to other interfaces. or does this not do the same thing for qnap

phillipmcmahon

Sadly not, the RP is essentially on a different machine as far as I understood it works with containers. It isn't a bigger as I only expose my RP via my firewall.

• 1 month later...