NordVPN on Router = Some strange access issues

jonboyuk

jonboyuk

Hi all,

I'm running an Emby server (premiere) on my Synology DS218+ which has been working well. I thought I should tighten up my security so now I use a VPN, which is running at router level. I can still use Emby okay (only local for the time being), but if I add a movie to the library, it can't download any images/covers etc. If I click to make them big (ie go directly to The Movie Database through Emby), the operation to download them just times out. I'm using server 4.0.2. Not sure if it makes any difference but I've also forwarded the requisite Emby ports too.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Edited by jonboyuk

solabc16

Hello @@jonboyuk

There have been problems with some VPN solutions when running on the Synology box itself, so you should have avoided these by running it on the router.

I take it everything still works fine if you disable the VPN?

If so, you probably need to look at the configuration / rules in your chosen VPN solution and make sure access to metadata providers is permitted / possible.

There are occasionally issues with IPv6 compatibility, so if you're not actively using it on your Synology system, you could try disabling that also as a test.

e.g.

DSM -> Control Panel -> Network -> Network Interface -> <your connection> -> IPv6 -> IPv6 setup -> Off

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

jonboyuk

Thanks James

I've just disabled the VPN to try and it didn't work. I then re-enabled it and voila it started to work!!! 20 seconds later, it seems to have blocked up again! Strangely it seems to be able to load the metadata however - just images are a no go.

Sometimes I never quite understand tech! What the heck?

This is it not working...

yVPyDZE.jpg

Edited by jonboyuk

jonboyuk

IPv6 is disabled on both my router and the NAS! I still think it might be the VPN. I wonder if I was just getting some network delay before...

Edited by jonboyuk

jonboyuk

Okay just did some more testing. It's the router's VPN that's preventing Emby from getting full internet access (I don't understand!) As you can imagine, I really would like the NAS behind the VPN. To get it working I have a split tunnel on the router, where the NAS is on the standard ISP internet.

I have an ASUS RT-AC86U using Asuswrt-Merlin (F/W 384.9)

Any ideas on how to get around this would be great  :) Thanks!

Edited by jonboyuk

Guest asrequested

Why are you using a split tunnel? If you're running it on the router, just run everything through Nord. You're likely having communication issues. Just put your whole network being Nord, and then restart the Emby server.

jonboyuk

Hi @. The reason I split it is that my smart TV's (3 of them) and my Nvidia Shield wouldn't work with Netflix, Amazon videos and other streaming services when they were behind the VPN, despite changing through various servers. Frustratingly, when the NAS is behind the VPN I can't stream from Emby remotely.

Guest asrequested

Do you use a NAS for your media storage?

Not like the boxes you buy like yours, but my storage is on a separate Windows 10 machine.

jonboyuk

Actually the image thing seems to have fixed itself (for now at least). I did see there was an update on Emby to the Movie Database though, I wonder if it was that that fixed it.

As for my access issue I'm half considering using my Nvidia shield as a server purely for remote access since it's not behind the VPN. Not a resolution, but a workaround in the meantime...

I did see there was an update on Emby to the Movie Database though, I wonder if it was that that fixed it.

No, it was just some minor updates. It did not fix anything.

jonboyuk

I guess it's just coincidence that it started working again! I didn't change any settings over my network. That's half of the problem gone, which is good.

Now I need to work out why I can watch movies locally, but it won't let me download them... Any ideas? :)

jonboyuk

Appreciate it James

I don't know why, but a few days later the metadata 'automagically' started working behind the VPN! Random, but great. Just need to solve downloading media from my Syno -> Android Pie phone now!