Emby Connection Failure this week on Synology

hollerme

hollerme

Hi,

For some reason Emby no longer works on my Synology and I receive the below message. I can still access my files on Synology but cannot use Emby in an issue that has lasted this week and was hoping someone may be able to advise what I must do.5c6594d9b2afb_embyconnectionfailure.jpg

Edited by hollerme

hollerme

Hi James and thanks for the response.

I hadn't tried that but just now pressed 'Stop' on Synology then tried to run it again and it failed:

5c65975dbd999_EmbySynologyFailured.jpg

Hello @@hollerme

What is the status of Emby Server in Package Center?

Have you tried stopping and starting the package there?

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @@hollerme

That's not looking so good, when did you last restart your system? Just to eliminate that, it would be a good step to take when convenient.

What Synology model do you have and which version of DSM?

Best

- James

hollerme

I restarted it last week when I added more storage space.

I bought a Synology Diskstation DS218 NAS Desktop

I'm on DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4

Edited by hollerme

solabc16

Hello @@hollerme

Is there anything you can think of that happened prior to it stopping? When you added storage space, did you change the volume layout at all?

The above is an unusual error and suggest something fundamental is missing and/or inaccessible.

To analyse further, please can you run the Send Logs utility, so we can see what the underlying issue is :  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

hollerme

When I added the storage space I expanded the storage pool (although found that by doing so I was merely using that extra drive as a back-up which was very disappointing).

How do I log in as admin using the command line (I'm logged in as admin on my desktop but don't know how to get to the command prompt in the screenshots).

Hello @@hollerme

Is there anything you can think of that happened prior to it stopping? When you added storage space, did you change the volume layout at all?

The above is an unusual error and suggest something fundamental is missing and/or inaccessible.

To analyse further, please can you run the Send Logs utility, so we can see what the underlying issue is :  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

hollerme

I installed putty to connect to the Synology. It wouldn't connect receiving an "Network error: Connection timed out". I then opened my own command line and tried pinging the IP address. The request timed out. I seem to be unable to reach the server even with all my firewalls turned off. What shall I do?

solabc16

Hello @@hollerme

Are you able to access the Web UI ok from the same machine you have PuTTY installed on?

Once you've enabled SSH as per the instructions above, then you should be able to connect, using the same IP address you connect to with your browser.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @hollerme 

If you have Terminal access via SSH enabled and you are connecting via SSH on the same local area network, then there has to be something amiss in your environment.

We'll do what we can to help you, but this appears to be something either in your environment or there is a problem with your DSM installation; which is also contributing to the issue you originally posted about.

Please can you double check and confirm all of the above.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Hi,

do you connect your DiscStation by using its local ip address, or do you use "quick connect" options?
From my point of view, it sounds not very logical that you can access the web interface, but a ping will not be answered by the device, except, there are some conditions in your local network which aren't available when you connect your NAS through QuickConnect.

It seems more that something on your DSM installation is corrupted / misconfigured than an issue with the emby server itself - from what I can see at the moment.

hollerme

Hi Chris,

I connect via quick connect and did a reset on my DSM this morning but it didn't fix the issue. I've had tickets with Synology around this for the past 2 weeks but the first person was very unhelpful (he said the problem's with Emby and Putty is 3rd party so can't help - bizarre since Synology's own website brought up Putty). The 2nd person hasn't made any progress either. I'm very concerned now that I will never be able to use Emby again.

Hi,

do you connect your DiscStation by using its local ip address, or do you use "quick connect" options?
From my point of view, it sounds not very logical that you can access the web interface, but a ping will not be answered by the device, except, there are some conditions in your local network which aren't available when you connect your NAS through QuickConnect.

It seems more that something on your DSM installation is corrupted / misconfigured than an issue with the emby server itself - from what I can see at the moment.

Edited by hollerme

solabc16

Hello @@hollerme

I can understand their response with regard to Emby Server, but not the fact that you are unable to SSH to the box; perhaps they didn't quite understand the issue.

The fact that you are unable to SSH to your machine, despite having enabled this at...

DSM -> Control Panel -> Terminal & SNMP -> Enbable SSH Server -> On

...remains the crux of the problem, as this really should 'just work' on a normally operating system in a typical environment.

I'm reluctant to 'mess' around with anything else until we understand exactly what is going on / has happened.

Best

- James

hollerme

Hi both, I'm trying to reinstall Emby on the Synology and had a quick question - regarding my Emby Connect username would that be the username I see on the Synology or my own username here (i.e. hollerme)?

hollerme

Okay, interesting development:

I reinstalled Emby on the Synology and on the homepage of Emby saw 2 Synology servers - one is the problematic server which I can't access. The 2nd however works and it is right now scanning my media.

Is there any way to remove the problematic server and move my Emby Premiere to my new one?

Your username here.

Hi, you can remove servers from the server selection screen.

Then in the server dashboard of the new server, you can setup your Emby Premiere key just like you did on the first one. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

hollerme

None of the servers are working again. 

I deleted them both now and typed in: 192.168.1.98 (Port: 8096)

5c6eec74165bb_embylibrary.jpg

But got a connection failure message.

Am I typing in the wrong figures?

5c6eecb94ef44_embyconnect.jpg