Camera upload (select photos)

skidmarks

skidmarks

I think i was going to try this feature when it first rolled out in emby.  Sounds cool as heck to take a picture and have it show up on the server!  But realized it would upload all photos in my gallery to the server.  I've got nothing to hide, but having labels that i need to take pictures of in order to blow them up to read and other trivial crap aren't worthy of server space, but phone worthy.   So i backed off doing it then. 

Tonight i figured i would try this out again (years later?) only to remember why i didnt do it in the first place...  There is just stuff on my phone that i dont need in the server.

But i figured maybe if i went into my photo gallery on my phone that i might be able to select photos to upload.  Selecting one of the pictures and choosing share i realized there are many places that i can actually choose, but not emby.

It would be great to share a selected picture (instead of the whole phone library).  Make the share option in the photo gallery link to whatever it is in the emby android app that knows how to share the whole library?

If i turned on camera upload i would then have to go in and manually delete pictures when i was back at the server.  And having not played with this feature at all, would it then keep uploading pictures that i want on my phone but deleted from the server when syncing?

Anyway, thanks for all you folks do, and this is far from any type of priority on my side!

(I searched the topic before posting, so if someone else already has it suggested i apologize in advance)

• Like 6

RobWayBro

I would also appreciate having the capability of selecting which photos were uploaded.  There are numerous methods I can think of in addition to the OPs suggestion of a "share via Emby" selection.  Separate folder the client monitors?  Selection from within the app itself?

As mentioned, not all of my pics are server space worthy (I like that line)..

• 5 months later...
neik

+1

And, it should respect the Wi-Fi only option of Downloads!

Otherwise this is useless for a lot of people as it will consume your mobile data plan no matter what.

darkassassin07

My bad, didn't see the dupe thread.

+1 :)

Specifically the option to select which folders to monitor for new images to upload, as well as a manual upload option.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Control over the timing too please.

New user here and looking to make the best use of this function. Clearly the ability to select which folders to sync to server is important, but also the frequency at which they are uploaded. For example, immediate would be useful for those wanting to ensure moments are saved there and then, I'm other cases 15mins after being taken would allow temp photos to be used and then deleted.. I'm not sure of the current frequency but it looks to me like every 24hrs.. (if someone can confirm the default that'd be great)

I've no doubt that WiFi vs data would be a consideration for some as well.

Timing and folders are planned for the near future as we're about to overhaul this entire feature. I don't think we'll be at the point of doing specific photos but we will be adding the ability to limit to certain folders to upload.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This will be in the next update to the android app, and two updates from now in the iOS app. You'll be able to select which folders you want to upload. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
RobWayBro

What version please? and is it in the Play store? I am not seeing the options and it just kicked off a 1300 file upload.

RobWayBro
1 hour ago, Luke said:

It's in the next update to the app, or currently in the open beta version.

Thanks Luke, I was wondering if it was in the Beta.

• 3 months later...

Leaving this at "in progress" because, right now, it is only at a folder level instead of an individual picture level as originally requested.

• Like 1

Sadly just made a duplicate post, but yeah wanting to individually upload pictures instead of a whole folder would be much appreciated! I think we give permission to the gallery when we use the camera upload function maybe we can just pull up our gallery and tag the pictures that way? Just a thought.

• 4 months later...
ScottASWAJ

I would appreciate the option to individually upload pictures as well.

One of the recent android app updates killed the folder list in the camera upload feature and the camera uploads stopped.

I am currently running version 3.1.73 the restore the folders and the uploads.

It would be nice to have this as an addition, and also be able to use it to manually upload if the auto feature fails.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi, please consider add an option to mirror folder, subfolder structure.

So if in the phone i have a folder /storage/emulated/0/ Pictures/Folder1/Folder2/photo1.jpg

Please let me somehow end with a backup in emby server like this.

c:/customPhotoPath/Nexus6/ - Pictures/Folder1/Folder2/photo1.jpg  current behavior is putting them all inside "Camera Roll".

--------------------- And for single directory non recursive select---------------------

SdCard/WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp_Images should be mapped  included last folder name to something like
c:/customPhotoPath/Nexus6/ - WhatsApp_Images/*

Thanks.

Edited by dolpsdw
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
negativzeroe
On 12/1/2021 at 3:50 AM, dolpsdw said:

Hi, please consider add an option to mirror folder, subfolder structure.

So if in the phone i have a folder /storage/emulated/0/ Pictures/Folder1/Folder2/photo1.jpg

Please let me somehow end with a backup in emby server like this.

c:/customPhotoPath/Nexus6/ - Pictures/Folder1/Folder2/photo1.jpg  current behavior is putting them all inside "Camera Roll".

--------------------- And for single directory non recursive select---------------------

SdCard/WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp_Images should be mapped  included last folder name to something like
c:/customPhotoPath/Nexus6/ - WhatsApp_Images/*

Thanks.

@alel3001 was linked to my own post and told to follow the discussion there, which had a link to this and one other closed thread that was also locked for replies. - Which actually were a different topic than the start of this one (wanting to segment based on user).

I JUST tested camera uploads (as in like 2 minutes ago) on latest beta, and it allowed me to select a descriptive folder that it detected pictures in. I selected Camera. This uploaded my camera photos under camerauploads\mydevice\* and created about 18 libraries all called "Camera Uploads" in the app.

If there is one thing I've learned after years of struggling to listen to audiobooks, if it's not movies/music/tv - just find something else. Emby is great at those three things (and I guess manually placed "mixed content" libraries) but anything else I've tried is non-existent or struggles with basic functionality that you might expect to be a given.

Edited by negativzeroe

alel3001
1 hour ago, negativzeroe said:

@alel3001 was linked to my own post and told to follow the discussion there, which had a link to this and one other closed thread that was also locked for replies.

I JUST tested camera uploads (as in like 2 minutes ago) on latest beta, and it allowed me to select a descriptive folder that it detected pictures in. I selected Camera. This uploaded my camera photos under camerauploads\mydevice\* and created about 18 libraries all called "Camera Uploads" in the app.

If there is one thing I've learned after years of struggling to listen to audiobooks, if it's not movies/music/tv - just find something else. Emby is great at those three things (and I guess manually placed "mixed content" libraries) but anything else I've tried is non-existent or struggles with basic functionality that you might expect to be a given.

In case anyone is looking to do something similar, I'm looking into having just an upload directory that no one has access too, and separate directories each family has access to. Then i'm creating an automation to move files based on the devices subdirectory depending on which user uses which devices. The only issue might be if multiple users have the same device. Does anyone know if the directories will merge or are they separate despite having the same device? For example I think my parents both got the galaxy note 8 at the same time.

alel3001
18 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

You could always look into nextcloud.

And then add that upload folder/folders to emby.

A possibility, but it seems it would require another app to work. I have some older folks in my family that struggle with technology, but I'll keep that in mind in particularly tricky cases.

negativzeroe
2 hours ago, alel3001 said:

A possibility, but it seems it would require another app to work. I have some older folks in my family that struggle with technology, but I'll keep that in mind in particularly tricky cases.

I can guarantee you that any Jerry rigging you do with Emby will confuse them more than using another app. Check out the awesome self hosted list on GitHub for a proper photos app if Nextcloud is too much and have them use that. Then if you really want to you can just point emby to those folders.