UTF-8 Chinese Subtitles

astynax777

astynax777

Based on what I've read on this forum, UTF-8 encoded .srt subtitles should be supported by Emby Server.  Is this correct?  If so, perhaps there is a configuration issue I'm missing to make mine work?  I'm not getting the expected results:

post-378001-0-14957500-1550105878_thumb.png

In VLC the subtitles show as expected (same pc):

post-378001-0-32201000-1550105863_thumb.png

and these are my settings in VLC to make them work:

post-378001-0-62285900-1550105871_thumb.png

Any help would be appreciated.

astynax777

Is that a subtitle file with both chinese and english?

Yes, it helps my wife learn English.   B)  Out of curiosity, do you attempt to detect the encoding using BOM (byte order mark)?  Perhaps I can try to open the subtitles in Notepad++ and add the BOM to it.

Update: I converted the subtitles to UTF-8 with BOM and it resolved the issue!  Perhaps there's a check you can add into the server to detect the encoding without BOM?  This seems possible as Notepad++ can tell the difference:  

post-378001-0-97280300-1550116057_thumb.pngpost-378001-0-55913700-1550116126_thumb.png

Edited by astynax777

• 1 year later...
danlo315

Hello - so I'm running into some Asian language subtitle issues too.  I'm attachment my subtitle file in hope for someone to point me to the right direction.  I'm on Docker .40.  Here's my locale on host:

$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LANGUAGE=en_US:
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Westworld.S01E02.1080p.BluRay.x264-SHORTBREHD.ko.srt

Hi @@Luke - please see attached image.

I understand, but I'd like you to please describe in your own words your issue rather than someone else's. Thanks.

danlo315

I understand, but I'd like you to please describe in your own words your issue rather than someone else's. Thanks.

I was hoping you can see the result on the attached screenshot, as it was not really showing Asian characters.  I actually have been playing around on that.  I use Bazaar to download foreign language captions, and it seems that it is converting them to UTF8 which caused the issue.  Turned that option off and it seems to be working so far.

I was hoping you can see the result on the attached screenshot, as it was not really showing Asian characters.  I actually have been playing around on that.  I use Bazaar to download foreign language captions, and it seems that it is converting them to UTF8 which caused the issue.  Turned that option off and it seems to be working so far.

@@danlo315 let's look at an example playback session. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 4 months later...

seems that this issue on UFT8 is long time on emby (since 2014) and no one cares to solve it . 

@Luke I saw you asking on many issue reported pages by users to provide the logs, i guess simply just put a Arabic , Persian or Chinese on a movie  and play that out ,you will see the issue your self.  it should be very simple trouble shoot ,right? 

On 8/21/2020 at 8:27 AM, arsia said:

seems that this issue on UFT8 is long time on emby (since 2014) and no one cares to solve it . 

@Luke I saw you asking on many issue reported pages by users to provide the logs, i guess simply just put a Arabic , Persian or Chinese on a movie  and play that out ,you will see the issue your self.  it should be very simple trouble shoot ,right? 

@arsia. It's not that simple. The platform, app, device, versions, subtitle formats, etc all make a difference. That's why we ask for log files so that we can look at specific examples to test.