Shield as Server, write to network share

torrys

I'm looking to replace my windows server with a shield and I have most things working fairly well.  Just trying to figure out where to write TV recordings to.  Can the Shield write to a network share?  If not any advice or options?

unhooked

Yes and no, We're waiting for emby to implement the nvidia api that allows apps to write to smb shares.

But I'm also waiting for nvidia to implement nfs so I can put smb in the trash where it belongs.

So far plex is the only app that uses the api that I'm aware of, you can use uri based user:password schemes to write on the shield bypassing their smb subsystem, just not inside emby ATM.

If you want to write in emby currently on the shield you basically have to make a smbv1 share that's world writable which I wouldn't advise anyone do, for now I would just record to a drive connected to the shield.

EODCrafter

EDIT: This is 100% Working now! smb://steve.local/documents/

EDIT2: Nvermind...it can access it it just can't write to it...I'll do some more research.

I've never tried but I'm pretty sure it can write to a USB Drive connected to Shield, if this is a option.

5c65cccc713df_Screenshotfrom201902141416

It's weird cause I can write to the folder with my X-Plore App, it's just Emby that won't write to it.

It's not a Permission error...I mount it with this.....

sudo mount -t cifs //STEVE/google-drive /media/Google -o guest,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,noserverino,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
Edited by EODCrafter

nic_griffin

Solved a part of the network writing problem enabling guest user on my Synology Nas DS112+ on DSM 6.2.1 . I don't know if I'm lucky or not, but it's working on the syno.

But still not  on my old Netgear readynas duo

post-422954-0-02333200-1550166433_thumb.png

post-422954-0-11099300-1550166447_thumb.png

EODCrafter

There are other existing topics about this, although suddenly I can't seem to find them.

@@softworkz

Me either....srrry ....Just drives me Bonkers...the share on Ubuntu reads/writes to Google Drive Just fine...on Shield, Emby won't write to Google Network Share Drive.

5c65efd4f0370_Screenshotfrom201902141646

Edited by EODCrafter

EDIT: This is 100% Working now! smb://steve.local/documents/

EDIT2: Nvermind...it can access it it just can't write to it...I'll do some more research.

I've never tried but I'm pretty sure it can write to a USB Drive connected to Shield, if this is a option.

It's weird cause I can write to the folder with my X-Plore App, it's just Emby that won't write to it.

It's not a Permission error...I mount it with this.....

sudo mount -t cifs //STEVE/google-drive /media/Google -o guest,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,noserverino,gid=1000,uid=1000,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

If you can mount it manually, then you could point Emby to use the mounted folder (/media/Google) instead of the smb share.

Edited by softworkz

unhooked

Yes, there's 2 ways to deal with networked filesystems. At the OS level where the shield mounts remote filesystems. Which is accessed from the shields settings, and is where the api comes in. Nvidia wants to control what can access shares as "you" so they added an api/whitelist to keep malware from doing what it wants to your shares. So far plex is the only app doing things this way.

And the client/server model where your app does all the work either by storing user credentials, or by sending the URI for a network share ie smb://you:password@server/share like kodi and most file managers do via libsmb/smbclient/or libnfs.

If you can mount something read write some other way,  emby doesn't care and will just use it.

On other platforms, you can do this no problem so we're in a waiting pattern for either method to come to the shield.

The nvidia api/whitelist method is currently buggy as well as I sometimes see emby writing to my shares when plex has them in "write mode". This kind of confuses the issue.

• Like 1

unhooked

There are other existing topics about this, although suddenly I can't seem to find them.

@@softworkz

Yeah those other threads had someone trying to hook you guys up with nvidia devs to implement their api. I think it was sniper@nvidia being directed @@Luke Don't know if he was aimed at @@softworkz

though.

Edited by unhooked

EODCrafter

If you can mount it manually, then you could point Emby to use the mounted folder (/media/Google) instead of the smb share.

Your writing like you tested this and it works for you. Please share your setup if that is true.

Yea, I figured that much out ;) but Emby still throws the same error about not being able to write to it.

5c66b81e8f48e_Screenshotfrom201902150700

5c66b82db33a3_Screenshotfrom201902150700

Yes, Emby does have Permissions to access Storage on the Shield.....

The Files that are in there are the ones that were written With Emby Ubuntu pointed at the share  <_<

5c66b8c3b9764_Screenshotfrom201902150703

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

Yes, there's 2 ways to deal with networked filesystems. At the OS level where the shield mounts remote filesystems. Which is accessed from the shields settings, and is where the api comes in. Nvidia wants to control what can access shares as "you" so they added an api/whitelist to keep malware from doing what it wants to your shares. So far plex is the only app doing things this way.

And the client/server model where your app does all the work either by storing user credentials, or by sending the URI for a network share ie smb://you:password@server/share like kodi and most file managers do via libsmb/smbclient/or libnfs.

If you can mount something read write some other way,  emby doesn't care and will just use it.

On other platforms, you can do this no problem so we're in a waiting pattern for either method to come to the shield.

The nvidia api/whitelist method is currently buggy as well as I sometimes see emby writing to my shares when plex has them in "write mode". This kind of confuses the issue.

I don't want to "Like" this since it relies on waiting on a "Fix" but I will. :)