Remove Adverts

PristDean

PristDean

Plex does this fairly successfully, its very useful to apply to recorded TV programmes. Would this be possible to implement in Emby ?

• Like 1

Baenwort

This is working for FreeBSD/FreeNAS based upon the work of several people. It's based upon the Linux program comskip.

From a little googling you could whip something up for the Shield as Emby supports a post recording script file and there is a comskip/comchap support for the Shield (I think, I only searched for a minute) and it was just those two things that enabled the eventual creation of the automated commercial removal process for FreeBSD/FreeNAS Emby servers. 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49900-automated-commercial-removal-from-tv-recordings/

As someone who has been using Comskip on SageTV/WMC for almost 12 years, I can say with sincerity that I would never trust a post-process automated cut job on the original video. Auto-skipping over an unaltered video stream based on an external XML/EDL/whatever is much preferred, because if the analysis is wrong, you can toggle the auto-skip and start over with the manual click-the-remote exercise. You can't put back 'innocent' video that's been wrongfully auto-excised. If you want to cut video for library archiving, fire up VideoReDo and use a generated VPRJ as a crude starting point.

I realize some people have had success tuning bespoke Comskip INI files for different types of video (say, sports w/ bottom tickers vs. conventional sitcoms) to increase detection accuracy and minimize false-positives. Presently, Emby's post-processing doesn't support per-recording or per-series arguments.

When Autoskip toggle gets implemented in Emby, MWC/Win7 will get treated to a virtual Viking funeral accompanied by a hymn of gratitude and a tumbler of 18-year single-malt Irish.

• Like 3

I've been using comskip before we added it into SageTV and it's always worked pretty well for me. :)

The key is setting up your settings for your environment correctly.  I do a "true cut" and pretty much have always done this.

I can't remember the last time I saw it cut part of a show that it shouldn't have.  I do occasionally see it miss commercials however but I get FF past them.

• Like 1

It's in the works but MCEBuddy does this just fine..

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

"It's in the works"  Is this true? If so I'll quit working on my post processing script right now. 

The Emby Devs have always seemed to be against implementing any kind of auto skipping of commercials. 

I don't think they are against implementing this in any way.  It's probably just not been a high priority compared to other features that appeal to more people.  With 3rd party utils like MCEBuddy or with Emby's Post processing it can be implemented now by anyone needing this functionality.

Personally, if you need or want it then just implement your own.  With post processing functionality you can roll it anyway you want which will allow your creation to likely be more flexible for your own use.

Well actually I did finally get the paths and permissions figured out on my unraid server with emby running as a docker. I am able to use comskip to create a chapter file and then remux the recordings into an .mkv with chapter markers. This seems to work. I still have to manually bring up the chapters during playback and jump to the next chapter labeled Show Contents. What I don't think that emby can do is automatically skip over chapters named Commercial Segment. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I'm very new to the Emby DVR.

I have used Npvr and SageTV for years and both of them will skip over commercials with no intervention from the user based on the .edl file produced by comskip. I have always preferred this to actually editing out the commercials.

mchallis

I would be happy even if they added video scrubbing during fast forward like Philo has. That way you can see when it is time to stop fast forwarding. 

Philo
 is close to the ideal for how visual preview should work on live TV streaming services. Whether you're watching on Roku, Apple TV, or Amazon Fire TV, you'll get a large pop-up window showing what's on as you fast forward.

philopreview-100778045-large.jpg

Well, I actually like the current implementation of the chapters pretty well. I just think that it could be better. I'm hoping to figure out how to add thumbnails to the chapter markers and it would be great if I could automatically skip the chapters named Commercial Segment

You can press the up button on the remote move to the next chapter marker and start playback there. My script uses comskip to mark the commercials and ffmpeg to add them to the dvr file. (Excuse the crappy cellphone photo.)5c6bec7c47f16_IMG_20190219_061543.jpg

I'm hoping to figure out how to add thumbnails to the chapter markers 

Just enable "Chapter Image Extraction" on that library.

• Like 1