Sorting Movies into Categories

ejacobs

ejacobs

First off - amazing product.  Been using an HTPC since back in the Meedio days.

Here's my issue.

I have approx. 1,400 DVD's ripped in native format (VIDEO_TS folders) stored on my servers.

My movies fall into 4 categories (Kids, General, Baby & Fitness)

I'm looking for a way to place the movies into the proper categories, so when viewing in Media Center the user can choose the category and see the movies in that category.

I've come up with the following two methods, but neither are easy to implement.

1. Add to every movie a genre ( -Kids, -General, -Baby, -Fitness) and mark that movie to not update the genre.  This works, however because there is no method that I can find to edit movies genre in bulk, it work take forever to do this.
  2. Create a collection for each category of movie.  The problem with this is that there is no way that I can find to add movies to a category without typing the movie name. If all movies were displayed, and I simply selected the movies to be included in each category, this would work.

Has anyone else tried to manage their collection with this method?  Any help would be great.

You could physically separate them in your file system and then define different media folders for each category.

You could easily drag and drop the items into different physical folders using explorer pretty easily.

• Like 1

ejacobs

You could physically separate them in your file system and then define different media folders for each category.

You could easily drag and drop the items into different physical folders using explorer pretty easily.

I thought of that.  The only issue is, that would completely break my current system during the transition process.  Any other thoughts??

swhitmore

This would be my suggestion too.

Koleckai Silvestri

Until we can create lists of media based on tag, best way is a physical separation on the disk.

ecrispy

Is it possible to paste hard/soft links into folders instead of actual movie? That way a movie could belong to more than one category, it's sort of a filesystem way of tagging.

johnhb

First off - amazing product.  Been using an HTPC since back in the Meedio days.

Here's my issue.

I have approx. 1,400 DVD's ripped in native format (VIDEO_TS folders) stored on my servers.

My movies fall into 4 categories (Kids, General, Baby & Fitness)

I'm looking for a way to place the movies into the proper categories, so when viewing in Media Center the user can choose the category and see the movies in that category.

I've come up with the following two methods, but neither are easy to implement.

1. Add to every movie a genre ( -Kids, -General, -Baby, -Fitness) and mark that movie to not update the genre.  This works, however because there is no method that I can find to edit movies genre in bulk, it work take forever to do this.
  2. Create a collection for each category of movie.  The problem with this is that there is no way that I can find to add movies to a category without typing the movie name. If all movies were displayed, and I simply selected the movies to be included in each category, this would work.

Has anyone else tried to manage their collection with this method?  Any help would be great.

A great improvement to Collections (I think) would be the ability to specify a whole folder - this would solve the issue you mentioned in 2. I.e. you would just need to have separate physical folders for Kids, General, Baby and Fitness and then create four spate collections pointing to those folders.

This is the sort of thing I am after for adding media that does not fit into the top-level Movies, TV Shows or Music categories (e.g. concert dvds, fitness videos, home videos etc.)

Edited by johnhb

Koleckai Silvestri

A great improvement to Collections (I think) would be the ability to specify a whole folder - this would solve the issue you mentioned in 2. I.e. you would just need to have separate physical folders for Kids, General, Baby and Fitness and then create four spate collections pointing to those folders.

This is the sort of thing I am after for adding media that does not fit into the top-level Movies, TV Shows or Music categories (e.g. concert dvds, fitness videos, home videos etc.)

You might like some upcoming features then.

• Like 1