EMBY on same server with PLEX LiveTV

rakstr

At this point in time, I believe you still need the tuner software for our support to work.  @@softworkz can confirm.

Some Roku devices don't support mpeg2 and most of them don't support it very well.  However, if you have a Roku TV then that is probably the best chance of it supporting mpeg2.  @@speechles may have more insight here.

ALSO, does EMBY support MPEG2 direct to ROKU devices (no transcoding)?  THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME!

Well. Honestly.. We could direct play mpeg2 on the Roku but you cannot seek. So we have to turn the TS into an m3u8 and segment it. Once segmented the Roku will direct stream this. It will be converted from TS to M3U8 to create segments. This should be next to nothing as far as the CPU is concerned since this copies the video and audio streams. If audio must be converted to play this can be and the video stream is still copied. So at worst with mpeg2 on a capable Roku device you will perhaps see converted container and audio streams. But rest assured yes, the video stream is always copied. The Roku supports mpeg2 for LiveTV experimentally. This means it is a little over a year new for Roku to have mpeg2 support. We are and have always been at the forefront of this effort. This mpeg2 support is detected on the device like every other codec. We read the full capabilities entirely from the Roku. Roku premier, Roku premier+, Roku ultra, Roku streaming stick+. Those models do support mpeg2 fully and our detection reads this support perfectly.

For proof.. see here: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=114433&hilit=mpeg2#p600090

This is me on Roku forums asking please for them to add this support for mpeg2 and document it so developers can make use of it. So please bear with Roku as they are working on fixing these issues and we are a little over a year into this. I guarantee you that I continuously am pushing the Roku hardware to find every new little trick we can pull out of the hat. The capabilities we use is not just some XML. It is custom built every single time by the device on the device using its capabilities discovered at that moment before playback. So we are already ahead of the competition as we are not just guessing anymore. This is why you do not see options to "force" playback methods and other work arounds. Quite frankly we don't need them and they just serve to complicate a users playback experience.

It must be simple. We must do all the thinking and guessing. The user simply presses play. This is why you do not see as many options as our competition has. We do not need to do this. We do things differently. :)

If you have any issues regarding playback on Roku please mention them immediately so we can resolve them. You should not have any issues everything should just work. If this is not the case or you see a potential issue with how our workflow operates please let us know. We need this feedback to do better. Thanks. :)

@@ebr I know our detection and our fallback combined with our capabilities reporting is second to none. We are already future proofed there. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

At this point in time, I believe you still need the tuner software for our support to work.  @@softworkz can confirm.

Some Roku devices don't support mpeg2 and most of them don't support it very well.  However, if you have a Roku TV then that is probably the best chance of it supporting mpeg2.  @@speechles may have more insight here.

Yes this is true. Hauppuage drivers and WinTV are currently required. But in the coming months this will change.

All my newest gen ROKUs support MPEG2 (Ultra, Stick+, and Stick).  The Stick does have some random issues and I've retired my two to rarely used bedrooms and disabled MPEG2 from my PLEX server for those two devices (actually a client setting)

The Ultra and Stick+ do quite well with MPEG2 from PLEX and not having to transcode improves both PQ and server performance.  So I'm not sure why the other poster says it's experimental.  ROKU has listed it as supported since the 9.0 release (I think).

That said, am I hearing that y'all DO or DO NOT support MPEG2 direct playback from OTA live TV?  I think I heard you DO on the Ultra and the Stick+!

I also believe I heard I need to install the Hauppauge software in order to use the quad PCI cards on W10 (different than what was said a few months back).  Does anyone know if that causes any issues with PLEX?

Again, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Edited by rakstr

All my newest gen ROKUs support MPEG2 (Ultra, Stick+, and Stick).  The Stick does have some random issues and I've retired my two to rarely used bedrooms and disabled MPEG2 from my PLEX server for those two devices (actually a client setting)

The Ultra and Stick+ do quite well with MPEG2 from PLEX and not having to transcode improves both PQ and server performance.  So I'm not sure why the other poster says it's experimental.  ROKU has listed it as supported since the 9.0 release (I think).

That said, am I hearing that y'all DO or DO NOT support MPEG2 direct playback from OTA live TV?  I think I heard you DO on the Ultra and the Stick+!

I also believe I heard I need to install the Hauppauge software in order to use the quad PCI cards on W10 (different than what was said a few months back).  Does anyone know if that causes any issues with PLEX?

Again, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

We support it on any Roku device that shows support for mpeg2.

Think of it like this:

The other guys tell the Roku what to play and how to play it based on what they think the Roku will play. Then on top give the users some options in app to tweak this along with the Roku itself being able to tweak a few.

We ask the Roku, "What can you play and how would you like us to send it to you?". Anything it doesn't tell us it can play we transcode. This is the difference.

Every single codec on the Roku is read directly from the device if supported. Nothing is assumed to work. This is why you do nothing and just play. If mpeg2 is supported on that Roku it direct streams perfectly. If it isn't the Roku told us it didn't like mpeg2 and we transcode it. That is honestly how simple all this is. We depend on the Roku device to enable mpeg2 not any setting. Mpeg2 is 100% supported as every other codec is. There is no special treatment or handling of any codecs. All are treated the same and read off the device in the same manner. Consistently the same always. Never deviates. This is how you can rely on it. :)

( Note: I guarantee you that nobody is direct playing mpeg2 to a Roku. If they are you cannot seek the stream. You can only pause and build a pause buffer then seek back in that pause buffer. Once caught up to real time you lose the buffer and ability to seek again. This is how liveTV on Roku works. If the competition shows direct playing and you can seek the mpeg2 transport stream they are lying to you. We are honest and show this as the direct streaming as it really is. )

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Can you confirm that an OTA stream from a Hauppauge Quad PCI tuner via the EMBY server is not transcoded when sent to a ROKU Ultra (4660) or Stick+ (3810)?

I'm not trying to be difficult and I'm most certainly not as well versed as you on this topic.  I only know that when OTA is transcoded to H264 in PLEX and sent to the same devices it is terrible, especially if it high motion like football.  I also realize it could be poor algorithms and other things.

This is why I've been wanting a trial but ...  I have confidence in y'all but there is always the unknown!!!!!

I'm so unsure about doing this that I'll be making a clone of my server OS disk before adding Emby and the Hauppauge software so I can revert back if need be.

THANKS AGAIN!

We support it on any Roku device that shows support for mpeg2.

Think of it like this:

The other guys tell the Roku what to play and how to play it based on what they think the Roku will play. Then on top give the users some options in app to tweak this along with the Roku itself being able to tweak a few.

We ask the Roku, "What can you play and how would you like us to send it to you?". Anything it doesn't tell us it can play we transcode. This is the difference.

Every single codec on the Roku is read directly from the device if supported. Nothing is assumed to work. This is why you do nothing and just play. If mpeg2 is supported on that Roku it direct streams perfectly. If it isn't the Roku told us it didn't like mpeg2 and we transcode it. That is honestly how simple all this is. We depend on the Roku device to enable mpeg2 not any setting. Mpeg2 is 100% supported as every other codec is. There is no special treatment or handling of any codecs. All are treated the same and read off the device in the same manner. Consistently the same always. Never deviates. This is how you can rely on it. :)

( Note: I guarantee you that nobody is direct playing mpeg2 to a Roku. If they are you cannot seek the stream. You can only pause and build a pause buffer then seek back in that pause buffer. Once caught up to real time you lose the buffer and ability to seek again. This is how liveTV on Roku works. If the competition shows direct playing and you can seek the mpeg2 transport stream they are lying to you. We are honest and show this as the direct streaming as it really is. )

Can you confirm that an OTA stream from a Hauppauge Quad PCI tuner via the EMBY server is not transcoded when sent to a ROKU Ultra (4660) or Stick+ (3810)?

I can confirm if sent an mpeg2 video stream contained within an m3u8/ts container it will play directly on both the 4660 and 3810. I have those same models and can confirm.

Thanks

I can confirm if sent an mpeg2 video stream contained within an m3u8/ts container it will play directly on both the 4660 and 3810. I have those same models and can confirm.

Thanks again.  How about I try differently :)

What will be sent if I set up an EMBY server with LiveTV/DVR using my Hauppauge quad PCI cards across a wired network to a ROKU Ultra 4660?

I'm really not trying to ask any gotcha questions.  HONEST :) :)

PS - your comment about seeking in the stream a couple posts back.  Could that be why timeshifting live TV is all farckled up in PLEX?  If you haven't already (*wink*) I'll post a link to the over year long thread about it being FUBAR.

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Red5ive

But you already had that equipment and said nothing of ordering new stuff. :)

The Next PVR install doesn't need to be hard. 

Essentially:

Install NPVR on server and turn on client functionality.

Find and Scan Hauppauge card(s), No EPG or other setup.

That's pretty easy without a lot of time or effort.  Then all you do is hit up the Next PVR web port to export a channel list, make an adjustment to this file and then use it like any other IPTV source.

Time to this point 10 to 15 minutes (give or take).

Now it's just Emby setup as usual.

This allows NPVR to do the actual tuning vs the Hauppauge software and it's pretty rock solid.  Emby then does all the recording, EPG and everything else.

Next PVR used this way is set, then forget. :)

Don't sweat it.  When you stuff comes in shoot me a PM or post here and we can help you.  I'll help you via TeamViewer if you like as it's only a few minutes work and pretty easy.

You can of course try and use the Hauppauge cards directly via Emby as well.  Maybe you won't hit the same issues as some other users have.

I have the same cards and was surprised I had to install and scan with the Hauppage software to get the channels into Emby. (has there been any progress in the next version to eliminat this yet?)

Have had it be a bit slow and unstable in testing so would like to try using NPVR as the tuning software as you suggest Cayars (would also make it a more flexible setup so it could be used in Kodi and other clients)

Are you still up for offering guidance or preferably a walkthrough on how to setup NPVR? :D

We are working on better hauppauge support and in the near future you won't have to do that anymore.

Red5ive

Thanks Luke, good to hear.

Can you define 'near future' ;-)  Is it in alpha testing?

In the meantime can anyone advise the steps needed in NPVR and emby ?