Help me pick a motherboard for i5-9600k

Marc_G

arrbee99

Good lord that is a lot of USB drives. Are they all connected to usb 3.0 or 3.1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just usb 2 and 3. 3 or 4 years old by now. Those bluray (and DVD) straight backups take up a bit of space, and even though the blurays are also turned into compressed mkvs, I keep a copy of those as they take so long to compress.

One last (hah!) Question:

The board has three ATX power inputs: 24 pin, 8 pin, and 4 pin.

The two supplies I have on hand have the 24 pin and an 8 pin 4+4 arrangement.

I was about to panic buy a new power supply, but then I noticed the MB manual said that for the 8 pin connector I could plug in a 4 pin feed, as long as I plugged it in on the proper side of the connection.

So please confirm: it's ok for me to split the 4+4 to use, plugging one of them into the 4 pin connector and plugging the other into the correct side of the 8 pin.

I'm not planning to OC the processor, by the way.

From what I read this should be fine... Both PSUs are way more than I will ever use (older one is 450 W, newer one is 430 W).

How is the i5-9600K for remuxing and converting video?

Certainly better than my i5-4670 for sure.  I'll let you know when I do a conversion, but I'm interested to hear others' experiences.

• 3 weeks later...
Marc_G

Hi guys,

Just a quick note that everything worked out fine with the build. That USB 2.0 port adapter was perfect, and I like the combo of the i5-9600k and the Asrock Extreme4 Z390. Smooth build, and I was able to use my Hyper Evo 212 that was hanging around for a couple years. Just barely fit in the case, by 1 mm.

I'm using a single stick of 16GB RAM; no dual channel this way so I probably should have bought 2x8GB, but for my use it doesn't matter. I might just buy another stick for the hell of it; RAM is cheaper these days due to Intel CPU shortage.

It's a sweet little system, gradually settling in as my main Windows desktop; have transferred the flag from my old desktop which now sits unpowered and idle. It will resurrect as a Linux system this spring sometime. I've played with some flavors of Linux before but for this one my goal is to create an alternative environment I could use instead of my Windows system, for everything I do. I've got one proprietary piece of hobby software that has no Linux version though, so might need to create a virtual environment for it :-)

Thanks for your help along the way.

• Like 1