Music not getting identified when they don't contain id3 tags

Duffyx

Hi guys,

I have recently tried adding my music library with their id3 tags stripped on Emby 4.0.1.0.

As I think its a burden to tag my mp3 collection when my folder structure is identical to album/artist name.

How is the rest maintaining their music collection? Do you guys use embedded tags for mp3 files?

I like to keep it quick and easy; just strip every metadata, only based on the file name (for movies eg) and the folder structure should be enough to identify the music. Clean and easy.

I also attached two logs, adding my music collection without it containing tags and adding it when they contain tags.

I have in the past initiated this "problem" through github as an issue although with this I'd like to hear how other people manage their music folder structure.

Adding library with mp3 tags.txt

Adding library without mp3 tags.txt

Edited by Duffyx

Hi,

So when I add my music without mp3 tags it looks like the following picture:

5c65a2911dada_Capture.png

Basically, no musicbrain ID's get assigned at all (no album id nor a release group).

On the other hand, when I assign mp3 tags (album = ./name and artitst = ../name in function of directory structure) to the music I add, matching and identifying does work.

5c65a2ee8b90a_Capture.png

Thanks for looking into this. I'm still wondering if other persons running FreeBSD and the latest Emby, experience this issue and how they manage their music folders.

Ok currently artist and album information is tag driven. If you don't have that as a minimum, then you will not get any metadata. I think this is something we can improve in the future to support albums based on folder names.

• Like 1

Oh I didn't know that, as movies and series don't need this. Thanks for the heads up. Would be a nice improvement/feature though. I come from Plex and IIRC they do matching based solely on folder structure if no tags are available.

• 1 year later...
Duffyx

Hi Luke, does the recent Emby Server release support matching music based on directory structure? Is this something that could be added in the future? Thanks.

Hi Luke, does the recent Emby Server release support matching music based on directory structure? Is this something that could be added in the future? Thanks.

No, there haven't been any changes in that regard.