Subtitles not showing

RickM

Dizzy49

If anyone is still having an issue with subtitles not showing, we're happy to help. Please go over an example and attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your work on this issue.  It was a big one for me since I watch a ton of anime.  I noticed it was working again on my Fire TV last week.  It struggled the first day but now it's good.

I'm happy! :D

• 1 year later...
Pchoice

Hi. Can anyone help me with my android TV box. Subtitles suddenly not working or loading on both my android box. Am using X96 mini and the other one is MXQpro

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi. Can anyone help me with my android TV box. Subtitles suddenly not working or loading on both my android box. Am using X96 mini and the other one is MXQpro

Hi.  Please provide the following information and we will help.  Thanks.

If anyone is still having an issue with subtitles not showing, we're happy to help. Please go over an example and attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

• 2 months later...
SirTranceALoT

Hi guys.

Just wondering, has this been resolved because I'm still having the issue.

Server: Emby 4.4.3.0
Client: Emby for Android TV 1.8.10g
Device: Mi Box 2

It all works fine in Emby for Android on phone, Emby Web and Emby Theatre on windows 10. 

Also subs that are muxed in directly into the .mp4 files work fine on Android TV. It's just external subtitles that do not work.

Is the Android TV client handling paths differently then the other clients? The reason I ask is that I use drive_strm to stream my media files from google drive  while subs are stored together with the .strm files on the server.

I do notice when I look at the files that they have the following structure:
movie.mp4.strm
movie.mp4.nl.srt

Now to me it doesn't seem odd bcs Emby get's the MP4 file from the link in the .strm file right? 

Anyways, just thinking out loud.

Edited by SirTranceALoT

Hi.  Can we please look at an example that isn't working as you expect?

SirTranceALoT

The Software & Hardware:

Device: Xiaomi Mi Box S EU

The problem:
External subtitles won't play. They are selectable but while playing back the media, they do not show up. Everything works fine on Emby Web, Emby Theater for Windows and Amby for Android on my Samsung S10. I store my media on google drive and stream them trough.strm files. The subtitles are stored at the same location as the .strm files on the server. They are named accordingly: 

The.Bourne.Legacy.2012.BluRay.1080p.AAC5.1.x264-CHX.mp4.strm
The.Bourne.Legacy.2012.BluRay.1080p.AAC5.1.x264-CHX.mp4.nl.srt

Both are located in the same folder

I was logged in as as user Andy on the server

Logs:
app log:
sent on Sunday, July 26th, 2020 at 4:54 am UTC-5

Server log:

embyserver.txt

Edited by SirTranceALoT

I don't think that's going to work.

When you use the STRM file you are pointing ONLY to the media file so there is no concept of an external sub on Google.

What I think you would need to do is download the sub and store that locally next to the STRM file.  It should then work.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

I don't think that's going to work.

When you use the STRM file you are pointing ONLY to the media file so there is no concept of an external sub on Google.

What I think you would need to do is download the sub and store that locally next to the STRM file.  It should then work.

That is correct.

SirTranceALoT
6 hours ago, cayars said:

IWhat I think you would need to do is download the sub and store that locally next to the STRM file.  It should then work.

That is actually what I did and it works fine on all other apps and emby web. Not on the Android TV one. 

The subtitles are stored at the same location as the .strm files on the server. They are named accordingly: 

Edited by SirTranceALoT

I didn't even see that before. :(

I assumed that was the files on Google Drive but now see it is the strm file.

Which Android TV client were you using?

A question.  On the Google drive do you ALSO have the SRT file there as well next to the media?

If not can you place it there for one movie and test it.

SirTranceALoT
7 hours ago, cayars said:

I didn't even see that before. :(

I assumed that was the files on Google Drive but now see it is the strm file.

It happens 🙂

Which Android TV client were you using?

That was also there

A question.  On the Google drive do you ALSO have the SRT file there as well next to the media?

If not can you place it there for one movie and test it.

Just tried and it doesn't work. Given what you wrote earlier I figured it wouldn't. :)

Edited by SirTranceALoT

Do you know how to send a log file from inside Android TV?

I think this is a known issue with external subtitle files with STRM files that we still need to figure out.

Thanks.

Might sound like a dumb question but is the Android client direct playing from the STRM vs it running through the server?

Just wondering why it would be different than other clients.

Thanks.  What I figured, but seems strange the external subs don't get loaded that way.

But ebr already commented he's aware of it so...

I guess I do need to see more details because I just tested this out and it works fine for me.  strm file and srt file in the same folder and I can see and select the srt subs in the Android TV app and they display.

SirTranceALoT

3 hours ago, cayars said:

Do you know how to send a log file from inside Android TV?

Yup, posted it above already in my first post 🙂

1 hour ago, ebr said:

I guess I do need to see more details because I just tested this out and it works fine for me.  strm file and srt file in the same folder and I can see and select the srt subs in the Android TV app and they display.

I did post the logs in my top post with times when I tried it if you need details. Strange that it does work for you. I've tried different settings and such but nothing helps. 

• Like 1

Yep see it now (I think I'm blind to your posts, I keep asking for things you already posted) :)  sorry

On 7/26/2020 at 6:15 AM, SirTranceALoT said:

The Software & Hardware:

Device: Xiaomi Mi Box S EU

The problem:
External subtitles won't play. They are selectable but while playing back the media, they do not show up. Everything works fine on Emby Web, Emby Theater for Windows and Amby for Android on my Samsung S10. I store my media on google drive and stream them trough.strm files. The subtitles are stored at the same location as the .strm files on the server. They are named accordingly: 

Both are located in the same folder

I was logged in as as user Andy on the server

Logs:
app log:
sent on Sunday, July 26th, 2020 at 4:54 am UTC-5

Server log:

embyserver.txt

@Luke, @ebr  Could one of you look at his app log if you haven't already to see if that reveals any info on the subtitle use above?

Unfortunately, the app log does not contain the start of playback and there isn't any subtitle selection information in the server log.

The item is direct playing (you have disabled transcoding on your server).  I wonder if it is related to the container somehow.  Can you try one of these that is an mkv?

SirTranceALoT
On 7/27/2020 at 11:54 PM, ebr said:

Unfortunately, the app log does not contain the start of playback and there isn't any subtitle selection information in the server log.

The item is direct playing (you have disabled transcoding on your server).  I wonder if it is related to the container somehow.  Can you try one of these that is an mkv?

That's bizar since it's just .mp4. I'l mux one to .mkv and try it. 

Yes transcoding is disabled since my files are already optimized for streaming and .MP4 is about as most standard as you can get. 

Edited by SirTranceALoT

SirTranceALoT
On 7/27/2020 at 11:15 PM, cayars said:

Yep see it now (I think I'm blind to your posts, I keep asking for things you already posted) :)  sorry

@Luke, @ebr  Could one of you look at his app log if you haven't already to see if that reveals any info on the subtitle use above?

haha, I get that too from time to time. no worries 🙂

The item is direct playing (you have disabled transcoding on your server).

Please turn this back on. Do you get subtitles then?

SirTranceALoT
On 7/27/2020 at 11:54 PM, ebr said:

OK I switched to .mkv and enabled transcoding again and still nothing. 

Thanks for testing that but that leaves me at a bit of a loss for why it works for me but not for you.  We have to figure out what is different...

@cayars can you test this out?