Subtitles not showing

RickM

Recently, emby android client V1.6.79g does not show subtitles. I have 2 different servers running latest server releases and have Emby TV on 2 different Android boxes. I have always added .srt files to the folders that contain movies/tv episodes on both servers as I have hearing issues and need the subtitles. Previous to about 3 weeks ago, the subtitles displayed properly playing on both clients from both servers. The subtitle file shows in the "cc" drop down list but does not display. If I add a second subtitle file, then I can select one of the two subtitle files and it displays properly. Example: filename.srt and filename.en.srt and I am able to select one. If only one file, .srt or .en.srt, or .default.srt, then no subtitle is displayed even though it appears in the dropdown list for "cc". If I have at least 2 srt files then I can select either one. This problem occurs only on several versions of the Emby For Android TV app. I've gone back to a version 1.5.6 version and same problem. However other versions of Emby For Android are perfect, no problems with displaying subtitles.

I'm running Emby servers on a Raspberry Pi 3 and Windows 10. Any suggestions as to the cause. I Have performed all new fresh installs on the servers and player boxes.

kikinjo

i Just noticed the same, server 4.1.0.8 beta, latest stable andoroid app on firestick 4k. No subtitles on multi version of movies, external subs srt. Subtitles show normal when i watch it on Emby Theater client on windows.

You can see it in selection click, but no subs show, must be something with multi version choice.

Glad someone else has same problem. Subtitles were working perfectly until few weeks ago. Been updating servers (Raspberry Pi 3 and Windows 10) versions and players T95Z Plus and Samsung Tab S2 whenever an update came out and suddenly subtitle problem. Looks like you have to have 2 subtitle files in folder. Any combination of 2. .srt, .en.srt, .default.srt.

Theogeek

Not piling on, just another "me too".  I just started noticing this as well.

The same movie shows the subtitles on every other device (Pixels, Chromebook, PC, Xbox One), just not the Fire TV.

Hi.  There is an issue in the current release in some situations.  If you can try the beta, it should correct it.

Thanks.

Clients: Samsung S2 tablet running Emby Android For TV ver 1.6.79g and T95Z Plus Android box with same version. Servers: Windows 10 ver 4.0.1.0 and Raspberry PI 3 running 4.1.0.8. Folder has one video file and one .srt file. Subtitle does not display on either clients even though the srt file is selected. However, using Emby Theatre, subtitle displays correctly when viewing from either server. Included necessary log files. If you need the video file, I'll have to compress it and upload it.embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-dc4cf091-7fba-4911-a766-0109402cc62f_1.txt

Hi @@RickM, you're using our TV app on a tablet? Why not use our android mobile app?

To answer the question though, it looks like the subtitles were never selected. Did you try turning on the subtitles in the video player?

Because the straight Android version works OK but I needed another device with the TV version on it to test the subtitle problem. The Android version works perfectly on both my Samsung S2 and T95Z Plus. But I require the TV version on my T95Z Plus because I am using a tv remote hand control device and the straight Android version uses "touch" devices which is not supported on the T95Z. The subtitle problem has only surfaced recently. I have been using the T95Z Plus with Emby to my tv for several years now without any problems.

And yes, a subtitle was selected and shows in the drop down list as selected but doesn't show. It almost seems as if it is something between the version of server and player since the straight Android version works OK. And I am using 2 different hardware platforms for the server, one being the Raspberry Pi 3 and 2nd being Windows 10.

Macieksoft

Same problem on the latest android app on the fire TV 3rd gen. Subtitles won't load, but load on emby theater for PC.

Attempting to download either version of the beta on Google Play store and says Installed. How can I force download either of them. I've un-installed the TV version on my tablet and Google still shows as Installed.

OK, un-installed from both Android devices and was now able to install on the T95Z box. Good news, the subtitles now work perfectly with this new version.  Much thanks.

Google still preventing me from installing either on my Samsung tablet. Says Installed when I choose either. I probably installed the original Emby from Google onto the T95Z box years ago and may have installed another version of Emby from another site. Suggestions?

Ok, am finally able to get both versions from Google Play store on both my Android devices. Subtitles also working properly with the TV version on my Samsung Tablet. Much appreciate this subtitle fix.

Theogeek

Sorry!  So, I just reinstalled the test version and the subtitles are now working.  So, I either didn't actually install the beta version before or there has been an update since a few days ago.

Thanks!

Now, if there were a way to position the subtitles down below the letterbox... :)

unclebob88

OK, un-installed from both Android devices and was now able to install on the T95Z box. Good news, the subtitles now work perfectly with this new version.  Much thanks.

Well it works but not quite yet.  Try this:

1.  Play a Movie with subtitle enabled

2.  Stop the movie after some time, any period is fine.

3. Now resume the movie and no more subtitle being displayed or if the subtitle is being displayed. it is all out of sync..

I've had the issue in the past where the subtitle is out out sync after a short pause or a fast forward but it's something I can deal with. I just restart the video and quick forward to where it got out of sync or let it catch up. The subtitles being played is more important to me and the out of sync is something that I have done to cause it whether it's a bug or not.

unclebob88

I've had the issue in the past where the subtitle is out out sync after a short pause or a fast forward but it's something I can deal with. I just restart the video and quick forward to where it got out of sync or let it catch up. The subtitles being played is more important to me and the out of sync is something that I have done to cause it whether it's a bug or not.

It is definitely a bug as it never happened in previous version.  I hope they fix it soon.

I've seen it happen in past versions but kinda just ignored it as it was a very rare occurance and after restarting the video, the subtitle would be back in sync. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it out as you've described the problem.

unclebob88

I've seen it happen in past versions but kinda just ignored it as it was a very rare occurance and after restarting the video, the subtitle would be back in sync. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it out as you've described the problem.

Great thanks.  Let me know how you go.

I also tested few movies and the same.  One more thing I notice only the subtitle that is built-in the contain file files such mkv seems to work but the movie would be laggy, unlike previous version, it works for all type of subtitles: be it srt file or built-in.  The out of sync subtitle issue is with srt file for my case.