Does Media Browser support 'Artist, The' Filesystem Naming Convention

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

MB supported this convention originally,

but doesn't seem to anymore.

In the album artists view a band like 'The Smiths' stored in W:\Music\Smiths, The

and with content tagged with artist and album artist 'The Smiths'

• shows up under album artists in dashboard as 'Smiths, The' with no content underneath.
  • shows up under artists in dashboard as 'The Smiths' with content underneath.
  • Has a local title of 'Smiths, The' in W:\Music\Smiths, The\Artist.xml

ty

reason why it would be useful for MB3 to support this filesystem format is that  if you have 200 artists starting 'The' in W:\Music, it is harder to jump in list to the artist in Windows Explorer.

FWIW the solution seems to be :- edit the Artist XML so that local title reads 'The Smiths' and then refresh.

Delete the XML and it is recreated with local title 'Smiths, The' which is odd as the xml is fully populated with metadata about 'The Smiths' to all other intents and purposes. Maybe Music Folders ending ', The' could be given special treatment for their local title value when the xml is created?

Edited by ginjaninja

Koleckai Silvestri

I just have mine set as "The Black Eyed Peas", "The Blues Image", "The Offspring", "The Smashing Pumpkins", and "The Temper Trap" as examples. However they were stored via iTunes. The sort ignores the word "The" in my situation. Make sure you don't have explicit sort orders defined for these groups that you're having problems with.

ginjaninja

I just have mine set as "The Black Eyed Peas", "The Blues Image", "The Offspring", "The Smashing Pumpkins", and "The Temper Trap" as examples. However they were stored via iTunes. The sort ignores the word "The" in my situation. Make sure you don't have explicit sort orders defined for these groups that you're having problems with.

to clarify this topic isnt about sort order in MB, its about the preferred storage folder name in Windows explorer; and that MB is 99% already supporting but just missing the final piece of puzzle.

• 2 weeks later...
ginjaninja

Can anyone advise on this explorer folder naming scheme.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Koleckai Silvestri

Works for movies and television. Not willing to test for music but I suspect it is supported there as well.

ginjaninja

@@Luke please could you clarify the mb3 position on 'artist, the' filesystem support.

Ty

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Edited by ginjaninja

• 1 month later...