XPEnology - Hardware Transcoding Support

solabc16

solabc16

Hello All

As this topic comes up quite frequently, I've created this topic so we can consolidate the various threads and knowledge.

Firstly, hardware transcoding requires an Emby Premiere License : https://emby.media/premiere.html

We've provided dedicated packages for the XPEnology community from the outset, please see https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/40411-xpenology-users-read-me/ and https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Custom-Package-Architectures-for-XPEnology.

The packages all include support for h/w transcoding, but access to the GPU has to be provided by your DSM installation. Whether or not the GPU is available, will primarily depend on the hardware and boot loader you are using.

Whilst we'll certainly work with you and do all we can to help get your system running with h/w transcoding, we are not able to contribute directly to the XPEnology project.

The first thing to do, if you believe your system does have a GPU that could be used and it's not available, is to run the 'Send Logs' utility and post the reference here for my attention : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

If you have h/w transcoding working and have any suggestions or advice for other users, please do feel free to contribute and add to this topic.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

I have a very reliable Microserver Gen8, 16GB ram, upgraded to a Xeon E3-1265L V2. Have been an Emby Premiere member for awhile and loving the ease usability. Have recently updated to Emby Server 4.0.2 as well. I use the system sucessfully to play movies (4K and 1080p witht high bit rates) on my local 1GB network to multiple devices (Nvidia Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box 3 and Amazon Fire TV).

Recently bought another Xiaomi Mi Box 3 for my dad so he can enjoy some movies too (Remote WAN) but will be transcoding them from my server. I have set 4mb in transcoding settings on device and on server and i keep getting buffering and not a successful stream. Hardware acceleration is on and Transcoding thread count set to Auto. I have tried enabling and disabling throttling and playing with H.264 encoding presets too. I cannot seem to get a good stream when we both have 8mb upload and 45mb download internet.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any settings i could change so i could could elimate the buffering. I have tried playing small low bitrate movie files too from a Wan connection and is the same.

Any help appreciated.

• 6 months later...
Byolock

Hello,
i want to build myself an NAS / Homeserver with the pentium gold g5400 ( Coffee Lake-S ).
As there is no  XPEnology Package for that should i try to go with the normal synology package or the latest intel package?
Will I be able to use the latest features of Quick Sync ( HEVC 10bit transcoding seems to be new ) or does these need further changes in ffmpeg / Emby?

In addition has anybody tryed XPEnology hw transcoding with an underlying ESXI?

Thanks for any recommendation and information.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, 
   I build a xpenology NAS running a fake "DS918+" and DSM 6.2.2, then I installed emby server from (https://synology.emby.media/?package_repository=360efc6e-de72-4073-b603-2bfbd7001586).

It's running excellent except the hardware transcode. I use an I3-8350K cpu and it's should support Intel QSV. I have turned on hardware transcode, and emby detected my UHD630 correctly.But when I try to play a HEVC 4K movie in browser, the server turned hardware transcode to software transcode, because some errors.

the log shows

02:44:38.341 [h264_vaapi @ 0xb0b780] No usable encoding profile found.

02:44:38.342 Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height.

attached file is the full transcode log.

plz help to resolve this.

ffmpeg-transcode-3fa90d78-5e73-4200-b1af-c6de496537c4_1.txt

Hello, 

I build a xpenology NAS running a fake "DS918+" and DSM 6.2.2, then I installed emby server from (https://synology.emby.media/?package_repository=360efc6e-de72-4073-b603-2bfbd7001586).

It's running excellent except the hardware transcode. I use an I3-8350K cpu and it's should support Intel QSV. I have turned on hardware transcode, and emby detected my UHD630 correctly.But when I try to play a HEVC 4K movie in browser, the server turned hardware transcode to software transcode, because some errors.

the log shows

02:44:38.341 [h264_vaapi @ 0xb0b780] No usable encoding profile found.

02:44:38.342 Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height.

attached file is the full transcode log.

plz help to resolve this.

Hi there @@kriser, did you follow our hardware acceleration setup guide?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Hardware-Acceleration-Overview

yes, i have tried to play a H264 movie in transcode, it works properly. only fails when i try to play a HEVC HDR 10bit movie.

Ok, there's a good chance this will be improved in the upcoming 4.4. release. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Lotusd

Hi, I run Emby Server on the expenology machine with Coffelake Core i3 9100 DSM 6.2.Loader 1.04b

No HW Transcode, only SW.

The log is sent

sendlogs_DSM_Storage_synology_apollolake_918+_20200429T183829UTC.tgz

Would really appreciate if you checked this. The GPU Intel UHD 630 has to support Quick Sync

Lotusd

Hi there, can you please attach the ffmpeg log? Thanks.

Thank you for your prompt reaction. Would you advise how can I create one?

This is the file exchange server.

Please find the attached file as well

UPDATE: Solved by using linuxserver/emby:latest in docker

I'm glad you found a solution. We'll look into this. Thanks.

Lotusd

I'm glad you found a solution. We'll look into this. Thanks.

Let me know if you found a way to use the native package with HW Trancode

• 2 weeks later...
DJIemby

I have Xpenology installed on my Microserver Gen8 running very well over the years. Was wondering how i can be sure that Hardware Transcoding is taking place with my 'Xeon E3-1265L V2' or is it only GPU's?

On Emby Server under Transcoding i leave 'Enable hardware acceleration when available' to 'Auto. I do no not see anything under Advanced.

post-172746-0-27120400-1589927094_thumb.jpg

Lotusd

You can login into your DSM via SSH and check whether the folder /dev/dri exist. If it doesn’t, there is no hw transcoding. If it does exist, try to play your movie on a computer with setting quality to low, then look at the CPU utilization in your DSM system. If it goes over 50-60%. - this means hw transcoding does’t work

I hope ffmpeg package had been installed and activated in your DSM.

Of course it would be great if you described your type of installation (dsm version, loader, etc)

DJIemby

Hi Lotusd, I have checked via SSH and do not have '/dev/dri' folder.

I have not manually installed ffmpeg but according to my embyserver logs it is installed.

I am using XPEnoboot 5.2 loader with DSM up to 5.2-5967 Update 9.

DJIemby

I have given it a S/N and MAC configuration in text file on usb stick it is running on.

Edited by DJIemby