Server v4.xx - External player doesn't start

Dj Fritzen

Dj Fritzen
Hi. I always have been using MPC-HC as my default external player. I configured this a long time ago in Theater v3.0.5859.23399. I have been updating the server since till version 3.5.3.0. with MPC-HC as my default player.

When I enter the settings for the external player, still having 3.5.3.0 as my server version, I get a 'There was an error processing the request' screen but when I click 'OK' I can review my settings.

When I play a movie MPC-HC starts fine and plays well.

Recently I updated to server version 4.xx. I reviewed my external player settings, still getting 'There was an error processing the request' screen. The settings are like they were and should be being MPC-HC as my default player. But, when I start a movie the internal player is starting totally neglecting my settings to start the MPC-HC external player. When I revert to server 3.5.3.0 movie playback will be done with MPC-HC.

I also did a compleet fresh install of the latest server version with the same result.

To my believe something in the latest server version 4.xx totally overrules playback to my external player only using the internal player.

Is there a possibility to fix this flaw in the server software ?

Hi there, can you try removing the external player setup from Theater, and then setting it back up? 

It seems to be working just fine in my testing here. Thanks.

Dj Fritzen
Hi Luke.

I remember I was looking at the settings within Theater before and for some reason I could not delete the external player from within Theater. This is only possible by adjusting the '...AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\System\config\settings.xml' and delete the mediaplayers section within this file.

Next I updated the server to 4.0.1.0, added the external mediaplayer to Theater again and started a random movie. No success, the internal player starts.

So I returned (OS-image file) to server version 3.5.3, uninstalled this server, deleted the remaining files in the 'appdata\roaming' from the server and the theater and created a new 'Roaming\Emby-Theater\System' folder and copied the required files I saved long ago into that folder. I stopped the NSSM server, updated to version 4.0.1.0 and started the NSSM server.

Next the dashboard starts, I confirmed my account, added a movie folder, and it starts refreshing.

Next I started Theater, added the external player, did a reboot, waited, started a movie and again no success.

I already did so many different things and I keep on stating something from within the newest server software is overruling the default external player settings. This happens by upgrading and also from a totally fresh install setting up everything from scratch.

post-42113-0-17246500-1550001723_thumb.png

post-42113-0-72530500-1550001730_thumb.png

post-42113-0-68018900-1550001739_thumb.png

post-42113-0-18326100-1550001749_thumb.png

post-42113-0-31700400-1550001757_thumb.png

post-42113-0-10558600-1550001767_thumb.png

Oh wow OK you're on the old Emby Theater. I'm afraid this app is no longer supported and I do not know the answer to this. I would suggest using our newer app:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

In fact, you'll have a much better experience with the built-in player that I doubt you'll feel the need to bother with an external player anymore. Thanks.

Dj Fritzen

Hi Luke.

Everything worked well with this old Theater version till server version 4.xx.

I am using the external MPC-HC because my Harmony is configured for it and till this day I am very happy with the smooth playback it has given me.

I will give your proposition a try because I was also considering using the internal player but I could not find any good tips in how to configure it to my satisfaction, also for my remote.

Thanks for your respond.

Greetings,

Percy

Dj Fritzen

Thanks. But I didn't had the time to try it. Also I noticed I need a premiere account for only 'trying'. Isn't there a trial version ?

Maybe I have some time tomorrow to explore more the possibilities for what to do with this.

Dj Fritzen

So, I have been fiddling around with the latest server and theater versions.

I configured my external player and it works.

But, when starting my HTPC theater comes up and I can see my movies but Theater is not active for my remote. I have to take my mouse to click on the screen to finally be able to communicate with my remote. I have been testing apps like 'launchontop', 'always-on-top' and one other tool to force theater to be the only one active on screen, nothing works.

Also I noticed there is no reboot button in Theater. That's a must have. In the old version it is so why not in this one ?

Reboot is something that can be added. It just hasn't been in that high of demand.

Regarding focus, are there any other open windows?

Guest asrequested

For the focus issue, some of us have had this happen. With Theater open, window it, and look at your task bar. If you haven't pinned Theater to the task bar, then you'll see just one Emby icon. If it's in one of the first three positions, map a button on your remote to it. Then if you lose focus, just hit that button and it'll put it in focus.

Dj Fritzen
Thanks for your replies.

A reboot button would be nice.

As in my old setup first, from within the startup folder, a cmd starts to turn on some other computers.

After that, also from this startup folder, the theater executable is triggered.

Sadly it is not 'focused'.

Defining a button to 'focus' this window is an option but just a workaround.

I returned to my old setup and start again.

Dj Fritzen
Yesterday I was testing this latest Theater in full screen mode with the result the Theater window not being active to communicate with my remote. I needed my mouse to click somewhere in this window to wake up it to communicate with my remote.

Today I started all over again leaving the Theater window in it's default size after being installed.

I put the shortcut for Theater in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"-folder.

I changed my CMD for waking up other computers in to a .bat / vbs running in the background without any window on my screen when starting up the computer. The shortcut to do this is also in this startup folder but there is no visual action.

So I rebooted and the result is Theater starting up but not being active.

I also noticed a highlited icon in the taskbar which means to my believe Theater indeed not being active.

I experimented with Theater.exe in the same .bat file for waking up the other computers.

I created a shortcut combining LaunchOnTop.exe with Theater.exe.

I added the Theater.exe to my iMon startup options.

All of these options result in a starting Theater not being active and a highlited taskbar icon.

I my old setup I didn't have these issues and to my believe it must be possible to solve this but how ? 

post-42113-0-72853900-1550172691_thumb.png

Edited by Dj Fritzen

There's some trickiness here because the main theater .exe doesn't actually have a window, that's why you can't configure that with LaunchOnTop or iMon. It ends up launching another executable which contains the window, two windows actually.

I put the shortcut for Theater in the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp"-folder.

Try removing this and just enabling the option in the app to run at startup.

Dj Fritzen
I already tried that. Did it again now, same result, Theater starts but no active focus on Theater. Needs a mouseclick to activate.

For now I am stuck at the old Theater version 3.0.5859.23399 and Server 3.5.3  :(

Guest asrequested

It's such a curious issue. There's a nice long delay to start Theater on boot, I don't have this problem. Something must be being run after Theater is started??? Maybe a second action for the electron window is needed?

Ah no, that won't work. That could actually minimize it

Edited by Doofus

• 2 weeks later...