FreeNAS Plugin + SMB path substitution for Emby+Kodi addon

TheDarkCornerInYourBrain

TheDarkCornerInYourBrain

Hi!
I am currently in the process of testing Emby, Plex and Kodi to decide between them. ATM it seems the Emby as backend and Kodi as UI approach would be best.
But i need path substitution to work, and it seems looking at the other threads here that this does not work in FreeNAS Jail because of the mono runtime missing something (?).
Despite syntax of adress is correct, and shares can be accessed with anything else, there are not found..

Now, before i have to put up a VM instead of a Jail and burden my quad core i3 even more:

Is there really no other way? And if not, is there a chance of it getting fixed in the near future?

SMB shares+permissions are set up correctly, and working with everything else.

My Setup:

Server: FreeNAS
Emby: Jail with manual update to V 4.x
Media: stored on freenas RaidZ5, shared on LAN by SMB, mounted into Emby Jail diretcly via mount points in FreeNAS web gui.
Clients:

-Desktop PC with Antergos (Arch based) with Kodi + Emby Addon

-LG 4K HDR smart TV WebOS 3.5 Emby stock App
-Android Phones with LineageOS 14.1 / 15.1 and latest Emby App

Network: LAN useage ONLY, but remote access is working.

Other than that: I have no problems with emby, despite that artist pictures are not loaded while Plex does this flawlessly.. So i thing i will go with Emby!

TheDarkCornerInYourBrain

Thanks for your fast reply Luke! IMHO it is a huge plus for Emby to have this enganged devs! I hope my english skills dont stand too much in my way, so i will try me best to be more clear:

The problem for me is: In the FreeBSD plugin, when adding a SMB share as secondary adress for a libary, i get the error "The path could not be found, please ensure it is valid and try again".
The shares are working properly on my Arch Linux Desktop, my Arch Laptop and all my Android phones.

I tried both syntax i could find on the forum: smb://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/SHARE and also //XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/SHARE which was posted in an older thread.

The SMB shares are provided by my FreeNAS, and allow guest access and normal password based authentification. (UPDATE: So i thought. FreeNAS anonymous SMB access is more tricky than i thought and the web gui misleading in this aspect!)

For normal access i have mounted the folders into the FreeNAS Jail, and this works without any problem. But for the Kodi addon, it says i need to enable path subsitution, and therefore i need those SMB / UNC paths working.
This issue is sadly a deal breaker for me, and even more sad because everything else beside minor stuff is looking promising. And before i buy the Premium membership, i need to be sure. While priced reasonably, it is pretty much money for me personally as a disabled person.

UPDATE: It seems my issue is that Emby does not support SMB+authentification (As it has been requested quite often from what i gather, i dare to ask: Any loose timeline on this?).
I am now trying to set up FreeNAS with anonymous SMB access, which is pretty complicated, and i will basicly need to totally re arrange my whole data new.

So i will check this out, and post here when i had the chance to test it!

Thanks again!

EDIT: Maybe you could add a note into the dialog which says something like "Right now, only anonymous/guest SMB access is supported. Please make sure Emby can access your shares this way!"..

Edited by TheDarkCornerInYourBrain

EDIT: Maybe you could add a note into the dialog which says something like "Right now, only anonymous/guest SMB access is supported. Please make sure Emby can access your shares this way!"..

Hi, yes that would be helpful. Another route you could take, couldn't you mount the SMB path as a local share in FreeNAS, then add the local share to Emby? Then FreeNAS could handle the SMB authentication. @@makarai

The SMB shares are provided by my FreeNAS, and allow guest access and normal password based authentification. 

Maybe I'm reading this wrong... but if your Emby server is running on FreeNAS, and your shares are also on the same FreeNAS server.... why are you trying to use SMB to share them with the jail? Why not just mount the file system into the jail using the fstab command and then your Emby server will have local access to the files? Again, I may be misreading your post.

makarai

To chime in: I would agree with MRobi, if the SMB share is on the same system as the EMBY server  add it as a mount point through the GUI. If the share is located on different hardware, you have to mount the share in FreeNAS first and then mount that share in emby.

Stop Emby Jail -> hit the 3 dots icon -> mount point -> select mount point of your share. Done

Edited by makarai

• 9 months later...

Necroing this.

On my 11.2-U7 freenas I've got a Windows-ACL dataset called Music shared between smb (works fine) and syncthing (also fine after setfacling it). I am trying to share it with the emby jail.

I've mounted Music under /media/Music from the freenas GUI successfully. I can even see it from emby's jail root.

5ddaa9efc55ff_shell.png

However from the web UI, when I try to add the library location 

/media/Music

emby doesn't allow me to add it, reporting

The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

The path seems correct, as I can mount /media, but from the web interface Emby doesn't see the mounted Music directory.

It seems like a permission issue. I have tried doing the same setfacl procedure (with emby's jail ID instead of syncthings) and restarting the jail, but that hasn't changed anything. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by embyjj

makarai

no worries with necroing something. The freenas forum has been pretty quiet recently.

I am not too familiar with the windows ACL system, i tried it once with freenas 5 years ago, it messed up all permissions and i had to write a script in order to get rid of some acl flag that hindered me in using the actual files. But thats besides the point.

Is user 983 the emby user? or is emby still the standard 989 ? or is the emby user part of the group 1003?

cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
makarai

Hi sorry for the late reply. I have been out of town for a while. 

If you create a new folder dont smb share it and chown them to 983:1003 and place a file in there will you be able to access that file? than we at least know for sure its SMB permission related.