Photo

HDR tone-mapping with mpv

Best Answer Doofus , 19 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Here's a starter pack for those who haven't done this, before. This assumes that your desktop coloring looks like a standard desktop. This is important!

1. Download the Adobe attachment, and unzip it to; C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

2. Download the mpv config attachment, and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming

3. Replace mpv with the March 10 2019 build 64 bit or 32 bit

Just download it and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv

4. Go play a movie :)

Any questions, ask them, here :)

(more information and an updated configuration, can be found here)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#81 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Local time: 01:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:56 AM

Using no peak detection looks worse, for me. Other than that, there's no difference. If you're using the test build with the opengl API, it changes the desktop colors. The desktop layer is what mpv, uses. So if the desktop doesn't look correct, neither will mpv. So what you're seeing, is probably not correct. HDR is meant to look like what your eyes, perceive, not exaggeration of color. If you want more saturation, just increase that by using --saturation=[the value you want]. But using the config I have above, is pretty accurate. The marker you should look at is the skin tone. It should appear, natural. Not too red, not too yellow. This is how my picture, looks. I have a great picture.

Looks a lot better using my eyes, not only the colour but scenes in general look more like they are supposed too ( in my view which could be incorrect). I don’t think colours look over saturated and in fact I had to change saturation levels, brightness and contrast back to my tv manufacturer HDR calibrated settings (which now seem pretty spot on) to the point that I have only just noticed that in guardians of the galaxy vol2 the lady with the antenna has grey streaks in he black hair lol..

Edited by PrincessClevage, 17 March 2019 - 03:00 AM.

#82 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts
  • Local time: 07:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:18 AM

Looks a lot better using my eyes, not only the colour but scenes in general look more like they are supposed too ( in my view which could be incorrect). I don’t think colours look over saturated and in fact I had to change saturation levels, brightness and contrast back to my tv manufacturer HDR calibrated settings (which now seem pretty spot on) to the point that I have only just noticed that in guardians of the galaxy vol2 the lady with the antenna has grey streaks in he black hair lol..

Well yeah, you don't need opengl for that

5c8df4b21b722_mpvshot0003.jpg

#83 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 10:09 PM

As I mentioned watching Thor: Ragnarok, and the picture being great. I thought I'd post 'real world' photos, comparing between HDR passthrough when playing on the Nvidia Shield TV and playing in mpv. These are photographs, so the ambient lighting isn't quite identical, but close enough.

Shield TV HDR passthrough

5c904ec727506_IMG_20190318_183458.jpg

mpv with my config posted above (a little blurry due to unsteady hands)

5c904effac7c6_mpv.jpg

#84 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

MVP and HDR passthrough working?
We're limited by platform availability. The only platform that supports native HDR passthrough right now is Windows, using DXGI swapchains in exclusive fullscreen mode. Vulkan supports it on some platforms, but that currently basically means “only android”.
https://github.com/m...mpv/issues/5521

#85 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

MVP and HDR passthrough working?
We're limited by platform availability. The only platform that supports native HDR passthrough right now is Windows, using DXGI swapchains in exclusive fullscreen mode. Vulkan supports it on some platforms, but that currently basically means “only android”.
https://github.com/m...mpv/issues/5521

No, the mpv picture is tone mapping, not HDR pass through.

#86 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

The link to that article was 1 year ago, does mpv in 2019 support hdr passthrough with Windows ? How to make use of these dxgi swapchains in Windows running full screen exclusive mode?

Edited by PrincessClevage, 19 March 2019 - 05:50 PM.

#87 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

The link to that article was 1 year ago, does mpv in 2019 support hdr passthrough with Windows ? How to make use of these dxgi swapchains in Windows running full screen exclusive mode?

Right, but I don't understand your point. But if you want to keep up to date with the development, you should look at this

https://github.com/m...r/mpv/pull/5804

But it isn't needed, when I can produce the same if not better results with their tone mapping.

#88 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:45 PM   Best Answer

Here's a starter pack for those who haven't done this, before. This assumes that your desktop coloring looks like a standard desktop. This is important!

1. Download the Adobe attachment, and unzip it to; C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

2. Download the mpv config attachment, and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming

3. Replace mpv with the March 10 2019 build 64 bit or 32 bit

Just download it and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv

4. Go play a movie :)

(more information and an updated configuration, can be found here)

Attached Files

Edited by Doofus, 30 October 2019 - 01:42 AM.

#89 lightsout ONLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:04 PM

Here's a starter pack for those who haven't done this, before. This assumes that your display is in HDR10 and your desktop coloring looks like a standard desktop, and not offset by being calibrated for HDR. This is important!

1. Download the Adobe attachment, and unzip it to;  C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

2. Download the latest Git release of mpv, and unzip it to;  %AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv 

3. Download the mpv config attachment, and unzip it to;  %AppData%\Roaming

4. Go play a movie  :)

This is great, I will do some playing around tomorrow if I get a few. Thanks for doing this. Maybe needs its own thread?

• Doofus likes this

#90 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:09 PM

This is great, I will do some playing around tomorrow if I get a few. Thanks for doing this. Maybe needs its own thread?

Test it first. I'd like to get some feedback, but my results are very good.

#91 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:20 AM

Hi Doofus,
try this, replace %AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv with the attached and then change the first line in %AppData%\Roaming\mpv\mpv.conf
to gpu-api=opengl
Looks better on my system and also for what ever reason the slight ghosting around moving objects is gone but still has that blury line through the middle from the UI overlay trying in full screen exclusive mode

Attached Files

• Attached File  mpv.zip   17.96MB   12 downloads

Edited by PrincessClevage, 20 March 2019 - 05:24 AM.

#92 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:55 AM

As I explained, I have a perfect picture and there's no difference if I use opengl. The overlay in the test build is causing an error and makes the picture, worse. I was looking at the pictures you posted, and both images are terrible. I don't know what you're doing with your settings in either GPU or display, but its really messed up. My GPU is all default. The way I have everything configured, there's almost no room for improvement. It's almost identical to HDR pass through.

#93 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:02 AM

Nividia gpu setting are set to let application decide and a tiny bit of vibrancy for desktop. Photos look terrible because of older iPhone 7 camera and poor operator;-)
Once you load the mpv test build I uploaded I can play a scene the change the one line back and forth to see comparison and generally doesn’t stuff up my colouring (a few times it has tho)

Edited by PrincessClevage, 20 March 2019 - 08:14 AM.

#94 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

So you're having problems running it as a standalone, too? Where did you get that, from?

#95 PrincessClevage OFFLINE  

PrincessClevage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

So you're having problems running it as a standalone, too? Where did you get that, from?

Haven’t had time too really look into stand-alone yet, I saved the build from Luke’s previous post where he modified to use exclusive full screen mode

#96 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:25 AM

I have all the test builds set up individually and running as portable. But I use the git MPV builds for my standalone testing and in my installed Theater, because it has more improvements that I use.

#97 lightsout ONLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:20 PM

Here's a starter pack for those who haven't done this, before. This assumes that your display is in HDR10 and your desktop coloring looks like a standard desktop, and not offset by being calibrated for HDR. This is important!

1. Download the Adobe attachment, and unzip it to;  C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

2. Download the latest Git release of mpv, and unzip it to;  %AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv 

3. Download the mpv config attachment, and unzip it to;  %AppData%\Roaming

4. Go play a movie  :)

Ok so I installed everything this morning, only had a few minutes but a couple things.

1. Picture looks great, I tried to switch between MPV and then stand alone MPC. This was utterly unscientific but I couldn't tell much difference. 

2. My desktop with HDR on looks bad, with the default win 10 wallpaper it looked violet instead of blue, and the task bar was gray. Turned it off and things looked good. This is an issue, whats weird though is that when I briefly looked I couldn't really tell a difference watching the movie (MPV with HDR on and off at the desktop). But I guess I need to have it on so my TV will go into HDR mode and do whatever it does?

3. Went to see if this would do any good to live TV (not even sure it applies) and live TV not working with Emby Theater. I thought I saw a thread with the same issue here, something I need to look into.

#98 Doofus ONLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12560 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:46 PM

You don't actually need windows in HDR10, but if you want the luminance pazazz, that can only happen by physically brightening the LEDs.

That icc will make live TV look better if you're in HDR10. That you couldn't play tv, is unrelated to these changes.

But I'm glad the picture looked that good, for you. I think this is good general config when Windows is in HDR10.

#99 markyp OFFLINE  

markyp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:03 PM

Ok so I installed everything this morning, only had a few minutes but a couple things.

1. Picture looks great, I tried to switch between MPV and then stand alone MPC. This was utterly unscientific but I couldn't tell much difference.

2. My desktop with HDR on looks bad, with the default win 10 wallpaper it looked violet instead of blue, and the task bar was gray. Turned it off and things looked good. This is an issue, whats weird though is that when I briefly looked I couldn't really tell a difference watching the movie (MPV with HDR on and off at the desktop). But I guess I need to have it on so my TV will go into HDR mode and do whatever it does?

3. Went to see if this would do any good to live TV (not even sure it applies) and live TV not working with Emby Theater. I thought I saw a thread with the same issue here, something I need to look into.

I think you’re referring to the theatre thread and the issues I was having?

I’m away from home right now so haven’t been able to do much troubleshooting!

#100 lightsout ONLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

I think you’re referring to the theatre thread and the issues I was having?

I’m away from home right now so haven’t been able to do much troubleshooting!

Yeah it must be I just remember seeing the title. I didn't do any testing. Had to get to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users