Photo

HDR tone-mapping with mpv

Best Answer Doofus , 19 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Here's a starter pack for those who haven't done this, before. This assumes that your desktop coloring looks like a standard desktop. This is important!

1. Download the Adobe attachment, and unzip it to; C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

2. Download the mpv config attachment, and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming

3. Replace mpv with the March 10 2019 build 64 bit or 32 bit

Just download it and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv

4. Go play a movie :)

Any questions, ask them, here :)

(more information and an updated configuration, can be found here)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#281 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts
  • Local time: 04:11 AM

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:25 PM

That profile doesn't work as well as it should. I'm having some suspicions. Something isn't as it should be....

#282 lorac OFFLINE  

lorac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:37 PM

Are you primarily using Windows in SDR or HDR mode? Would you say there's a noticeable quality difference using regular MPV in Windows HDR for everything vs. Jeeb with SDR and HDR passthrough?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

#283 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

Primarily in HDR, and I intend to keep it that way. You can't use jeeb's build internally, because the window isn't given exclusivity. But yes there is a noticable different between passthrough and tone mapping, but only in luminance. There are other things that need some attention, also. Presently, mpv isn't reporting the display as 10 bit, not even with passthrough. Although, jeeb's build does use the correct parameters. You can see what is being talked about here.

https://github.com/m...r/mpv/pull/5804

https://github.com/m...mpv/issues/5237

They have a solution, but development hasn't progressed in a long time. I keep poking them. But seeing what's happening with all the issues and PRs, it looks like some changes are happening. I need to do some research on a few things. I think Windows is doing some funky things with the desktop, but I need to look into it.
  • lorac likes this

#284 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:53 AM

It seems that I'm having a little trouble with my color profiles. I'm losing some of the blue shades, for some reason. Anyway, I've put that on the back burner, for now.

Now that I have been able to calibrate my display a little better, I revised my config. It appears that mobius is now the better choice (at least for me). Definitely brighter than reinhard, which is something I've been trying to achieve. And for HDR stuff, I'm still using the Adobe color profile. The problem that exists with that is, it's too bright, and not in a good way (my profiles have the correct brightness, and are great for the SDR stuff). Lowering the brightness on my display 2 points, corrects that. So now I have great color mapping, with better peak luminance. If you'd like to give it a whirl, here's the config.

[HDR]
profile-desc=cond:p["video-params/primaries"]=="bt.2020"
hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-param=0.2
tone-mapping-desaturate=1
icc-profile=C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\Adobe RGB (1998) D65 WP 2.2 Gamma.icc
target-peak=200

Most people's desktops won't be much brighter than 200 nits, so that target-peak is a good number. I was comparing HDR passthrough and this side by side, with different scenes. Aside from the extravagant stuff like the Chess demo video, I could barely tell the difference. And in one case, I actually forgot which was which (true story). Anyway, as always, happy viewing and I hope this helps some of you :) 

• lorac likes this

#285 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:29 PM

It seems that I'm having a little trouble with my color profiles. I'm losing some of the blue shades, for some reason. Anyway, I've put that on the back burner, for now.

Well, after closer inspection, it turns out that all the profiles I made are actually sRGB :/  *wipes egg off face*

• PrincessClevage likes this

#286 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

So I haven't used et in forever. Updated to 3.0.9 I believe.

I am not sure if the old mpv conf sticks around through an update but I think so because I notice it is tone mapping HDR. When I play 4k videos the TV doesn't trigger HDR mode.

Anyways just wanted to say I compared side by side with madvr tone mapping and couldn't really tell a difference. Nothing scientific but nice and bright.

I have a low end HDR TV and passthrough is always pretty dim. Pretty impressed comparing MPV to madvr.

I know it's been brought up but how much processing power does MPV need? Assuming a gpu is still needed and bring utilized?

#287 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

The tone mapping doesn't add much processing, it's decoding 4k that is the heavy lifting. And that is of course with no other filters being used. So 1080 HDR is light work.

When Theater updates, it replaces whatever version of mpv you were using, previously. As for the mpv.conf, as long as it isn't in the Theater installation folder, it will remain.

If you haven't seen the post I made explaining Theater and HDR, you may want to read that. The link is in the 'answered' post, at the top.

#288 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:28 PM

Thanks I'll do that.

#289 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:19 PM

The tone mapping doesn't add much processing, it's decoding 4k that is the heavy lifting. And that is of course with no other filters being used. So 1080 HDR is light work.

When Theater updates, it replaces whatever version of mpv you were using, previously. As for the mpv.conf, as long as it isn't in the Theater installation folder, it will remain.

If you haven't seen the post I made explaining Theater and HDR, you may want to read that. The link is in the 'answered' post, at the top.

Where would I find that thread, had a look around didn't see it.

#290 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:42 PM

Where would I find that thread, had a look around didn't see it.

https://emby.media/c...ktop-explained/
  • lightsout likes this

#291 lightsout OFFLINE  

lightsout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:40 PM

https://emby.media/c...ktop-explained/

thank you
  • Doofus likes this

#292 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:26 AM

If anyone is interested, I started another issue report for mpv on this stuff.

https://github.com/m...mpv/issues/7035

#293 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:19 AM

In case you guys didn't see it, this is the latest HDR config that I came up with.

[HDR]
hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-param=0.05
tone-mapping-desaturate=2
icc-profile=C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\Adobe RGB (1998) D65 WP 2.2 Gamma.icc
icc-contrast=1000000
target-peak=300
brightness=-2

#294 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:28 AM

Jeeb is working on hdr passthrough, again. He's pushed some new commits.

#295 gwujkiw OFFLINE  

gwujkiw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM

Posted 12 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

Thanks I will check out the new profile.

#296 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:26 PM

Anyone feeling brave enough to mess with 3dlut files, here's how you apply them in mpv.

https://mpv.io/manua...s-icc-cache-dir

#297 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:20 PM

If anyone wants to try the icc I made and I'm using, here it is, with the config to match.

[HDR]
hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-param=0.2
tone-mapping-desaturate=4
icc-profile=C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\My profile 7.icm
icc-contrast=inf
target-peak=300
opengl-pbo
dither-depth=auto

Let me know what you think, if you try it :)

Attached Files

#298 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

You should be able to use that icc for SDR, too. If you're in HDR10.

Edited by Doofus, 22 October 2019 - 03:43 PM.

#299 mrfaulk OFFLINE  

mrfaulk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 PM

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

If anyone wants to try the icc I made and I'm using, here it is, with the config to match.

[HDR]
hdr-compute-peak=no
tone-mapping=mobius
tone-mapping-param=0.2
tone-mapping-desaturate=4
icc-profile=C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\My profile 7.icm
icc-contrast=inf
target-peak=300
opengl-pbo
dither-depth=auto

Let me know what you think, if you try it :)

looking forward to trying this tonight....

so to be clear, these config file edits only effect hdr files, i.e. files with hdr metada? they don't do anything to sdr files? also, regarding the other config edits you've posted in the past, iirc there was a bt2020 edit which was recommended, is that still case? in fact what other config have you settled on at this time, can you share? are you still using scripts?

thanks!

#300 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12617 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 11:36 PM

looking forward to trying this tonight....

so to be clear, these config file edits only effect hdr files, i.e. files with hdr metada? they don't do anything to sdr files? also, regarding the other config edits you've posted in the past, iirc there was a bt2020 edit which was recommended, is that still case? in fact what other config have you settled on at this time, can you share? are you still using scripts?

thanks!

If you use it exactly as I have it, yes. But if you run Windows in HDR10, you should be able to use that icc for everything. 

Do you guys want to see how I have my entire config?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users