Photo

HDR tone-mapping with mpv

Best Answer Doofus , 19 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Here's a starter pack for those who haven't done this, before. This assumes that your desktop coloring looks like a standard desktop. This is important!

1. Download the Adobe attachment, and unzip it to; C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color

2. Download the mpv config attachment, and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming

3. Replace mpv with the March 10 2019 build 64 bit or 32 bit

Just download it and unzip it to; %AppData%\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv

4. Go play a movie :)

Any questions, ask them, here :)

(more information and an updated configuration, can be found here)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#241 mrfaulk OFFLINE  

mrfaulk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 PM

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:15 PM

When I get home, I'll straighten all of that out and better answer your questions :)

whenever you can, much appreciated!

#242 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 AM

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

Okey dokey. First, here're the changes to the mpv.conf. This is if you are using jeeb's test build as an external player and you are running Windows in SDR mode. You will need to select d3d11 in the Theater settings, for hardware acceleration. And do not use scalers.

IMPORTANT! d3d11 is not supported in Windows 7.
d3d11-use-pq-swap-chain
target-trc=pq
target-prim=bt.2020
fs

audio-spdif=ac3,eac3,dts,dts-hd,truehd
audio-exclusive=yes

Yes, this will negate the need for using auto-profiles. That config should be all you need.

If you run Windows in HDR10, the colorspace will be wrong for SDR and you will want to use a profile to correct the colors. This is why I said this was the easiest way to do this.

BUT, putting Windows in HDR10 will allow you to have HDR passthrough in a window (should that be desired). Otherwise, HDR passthrough will only be used when in full screen and has exclusivity of the window.

WARNING! Remember this is a test build. I have tested it, but not with every variable. I believe it should work with most common usages. I mention this because when using this as an external player, it will be used for all videos, and you might find some quirks.

Also, do not use this build for tone-mapping. It does not have the recent algorithm updates/changes and won't have as good a result.

Edited by Doofus, 16 August 2019 - 10:43 AM.

#243 lorac OFFLINE  

lorac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 426 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

Personally I'd just stick with HDR10 mode all the time.

#244 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:08 PM

Personally I'd just stick with HDR10 mode all the time.

That's my preference, too. 

#245 mrfaulk OFFLINE  

mrfaulk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

@Doofus, great stuff and thanks very much! to clarify:

1. if i want to use the jeeb build AND set windows 10 to hdr all of the time (so that i get hdr passthrough when in windowed or fullscreen mode), i would load a color profile (which one?) and make the changes to the jeeb mpv.conf file you mentioned as follows:

d3d11-use-pq-swap-chain
target-trc=pq
target-prim=bt.2020
fs

audio-exclusive=yes

i would also need to make sure hardware acceleration is enabled.

- where do i put the edited jeeb mpv.conf file?

- the jeeb package comes with an mpv.exe file and an mpv-1.dll file, do i use these at all? or do i just use the mpv.exe file that was installed with emby theater? also, i noticed that an mpv-1.dll wasn't installed with emby.

thanks again!

EDIT:

if i have no interest in switching back and forth between sdr and hdr, would the rossy hdr passthrough build be better than the jeeb?

Edited by mrfaulk, 16 August 2019 - 11:34 AM.

#246 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2699 posts
  • Local time: 08:51 AM
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

If you are going to go through the trouble of setting up an external player why not just use MPC-HC and madVR at this point? No need to worry about Windows HDR settings, ICC profiles, plain text configs, or lack of tone mapping. Just setup madVR using one of the hundreds of guides out there and change ET to use it as an external player.

#247 mrfaulk OFFLINE  

mrfaulk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

If you are going to go through the trouble of setting up an external player why not just use MPC-HC and madVR at this point? No need to worry about Windows HDR settings, ICC profiles, plain text configs, or lack of tone mapping. Just setup madVR using one of the hundreds of guides out there and change ET to use it as an external player.

i've tried madvr, several times, with mpc-hc, mpc-be, potplayer and kmplayer, and even when set to bare bones and hdr passthrough it was buggy and a drain on my system (i7 / integrated graphics) - have no interest in building a box around a graphics card that can handle madvr, only to then watch it break after every driver update.

comparatively setting up an external player for a front-end is pretty easy stuff, and being able to do hdr passthrough by editing mpv's config file is pretty intriguing.

#248 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:57 PM

@Doofus, great stuff and thanks very much! to clarify:

1. if i want to use the jeeb build AND set windows 10 to hdr all of the time (so that i get hdr passthrough when in windowed or fullscreen mode), i would load a color profile (which one?) and make the changes to the jeeb mpv.conf file you mentioned as follows:

d3d11-use-pq-swap-chain
target-trc=pq
target-prim=bt.2020
fs

audio-exclusive=yes
i would also need to make sure hardware acceleration is enabled.

- where do i put the edited jeeb mpv.conf file?
- the jeeb package comes with an mpv.exe file and an mpv-1.dll file, do i use these at all? or do i just use the mpv.exe file that was installed with emby theater? also, i noticed that an mpv-1.dll wasn't installed with emby.

thanks again!

EDIT:

if i have no interest in switching back and forth between sdr and hdr, would the rossy hdr passthrough build be better than the jeeb?
Don't use Rossy's at all.

If you want to run Windows in HDR10, you'll want to use profiles, and separate the SDR from HDR. And use the sRGB color profile at the top of the mpv.conf. That will give you correct color for SDR media. If that's what you want to do, when I get home tonight, I'll write the config for that. In the mean time, you need to go get the auto-profiles script.

You don't use the mpv.exe in theater. You use the mpv.exe in the jeeb folder. Just leave it in that folder.

Edited by Doofus, 16 August 2019 - 01:20 PM.

#249 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:33 PM

You can get the script here

https://emby.media/c...160#entry618794

Create a scripts folder where the mpv.exe is, and put the script there.

#250 mrfaulk OFFLINE  

mrfaulk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

You can get the script here

https://emby.media/c...160#entry618794

Create a scripts folder where the mpv.exe is, and put the script there.

thanks doofus... was pulled away but will have a chance to get after it again soon, thanks again for your help!

#251 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Just made an explanatory post. Let me know if that helps.

https://emby.media/c...ktop-explained/

• markyp likes this

#252 gwujkiw OFFLINE  

gwujkiw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 10:51 AM

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

hdr-compute-peak=no  (this is whats in the config file I am currently using)

hdr-compute-peak=yes (if I changed it to yes what exactly does it do), i see you are using it Doofus so just curious.

#253 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:09 PM

hdr-compute-peak=no (this is whats in the config file I am currently using)

hdr-compute-peak=yes (if I changed it to yes what exactly does it do), i see you are using it Doofus so just curious.

I don't use it. I disable it.

https://emby.media/c...pc/#entry778362

https://mpv.io/manua...dr-compute-peak

Edited by Doofus, 19 August 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#254 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:24 PM

I just ordered an X-Rite i1Display pro, colorimeter. My intention is to create an icc specifically for my display, and see what mpv does with it. Stay tuned....

#255 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2699 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 01 September 2019 - 07:58 PM

I just ordered an X-Rite i1Display pro, colorimeter. My intention is to create an icc specifically for my display, and see what mpv does with it. Stay tuned....

What software were you planning on using for the calibration? I started with hcfr and eventually moved to ChromaPure. I've been putting off calibrating my projector after swapping it out a few months ago and kind of forgot the "best" way to do it.

#256 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

What software were you planning on using for the calibration? I started with hcfr and eventually moved to ChromaPure. I've been putting off calibrating my projector after swapping it out a few months ago and kind of forgot the "best" way to do it.

I haven't got that far, yet. But it looks like it has it's own software.

https://www.xrite.co...g/i1display-pro

Edited by Doofus, 01 September 2019 - 08:01 PM.

#257 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

Here's a good video explaining the software

#258 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

This guy says to use DisplayCal

Edited by Doofus, 02 September 2019 - 07:31 AM.

#259 Jdiesel OFFLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2699 posts
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:43 AM

I decided to go with ChromaPure over Calman at the time. I would make the Plex/Emby comparison with the two ChromaPure being like Emby in the sense it was better value for the the features they offered.

I would probably start by calibrating your display using the i1D and the display's built in adjustments. This will give you the best and most accurate image for all your sources. Next I would try generating icc profiles for both SDR and HDR content to see how it looks.

Then take it to the next level and start going down the 3dlut rabbit hole...

#260 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12551 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 11:26 AM

Ideally, what I want is to keep my display in HDR10 and have one icc for everything. But I don't think that is going to work. mpv and HDR passthrough are quite far apart, but we'll see.

I want to experiment with different calibration softwares, and compare the results. My display has a color tuner, which gives me a lot of control. So I should be able to get a high degree of accuracy. Thanks for the tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users