Issues playing SD content

revsigh

Ever since the update that brought nicer SRT subtitles (1.0.52-1.0.53), SD content with VOBSUB stopped transcoding (client goes direct streaming instead), without the subtitles being shown at all and 16:9 content being shown as 4:3.

It was possible to circumvent the issue by forcing transcoding with a low max bitrate, but after 1.0.55, transcoded 16:9 SD content also started to show up as 4:3, making any 16:9 content unwatchable. This is what normally happens when direct streaming such 16:9 content as it seems only VLC/FFmpeg compensates for the format 480p/576p appears in.

I'm surprised that no one else has noticed this issue, I guess it might only apply to 2015 Tizen models.

Hi, Can you provide a copy of the server log during normal playback, preferably with the debug option turned on?

Also a copy of an ffmpeg log when. you set the bitrate lower to force transcoding as well.

Thanks

Edited by SamES

That should be included in the log, for the first minute I played it as it had previously worked in other app versions, then I played it again with the transcoding. Note the "isEligibleForDirectStream" difference.

That should be included in the log, for the first minute I played it as it had previously worked in other app versions, then I played it again with the transcoding. Note the "isEligibleForDirectStream" difference.

There should be a separate ffmpeg log when it is DirectStreaming.  Each playback with DirectStreaming or Transcoding causes a new ffmpeg log

That was the only ffmpeg log created, it might have been direct playing given that Samsung supports so many formats - sorry that I used the wrong terminology.

@@Luke, in the ffmpeg log in the post above, is this a new ffmpeg option we're using, or is it not being configured correctly?

-filter_complex "[0:6]scale=720:576:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease[sub];[0:0][sub]overlay" 

This video is anamorphic, and the output sounds like it is being forced to 4:3, not 16:9

{"Codec":"h264","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/50","VideoRange":"SDR","DisplayTitle":"480p H264","NalLengthSize":"4","IsInterlaced":false,"IsAVC":true,"BitRate":3733635,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":1,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":576,"Width":720,"AverageFrameRate":25,"RealFrameRate":25,"Profile":"High","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"16:9","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":30}
Edited by SamES

Is the same issue reproduced in the web app?

@@revsigh, can you please go to the web app at tv.emby.media and try playing back 

/volume1/Plex/Library/Media/TV Shows/Babylon_5/Season 05/Babylon_5 - s05e17 - Movements of Fire and Shadow (Part 1).mkv

and force transcoding.  Please confirm if it plays back at 4:3 or 16:9 then attach an ffmpeg log.  Thanks

It works in the web app, iOS, Chromecast - showing up properly as 16:9. As I said in the OP, this only appeared after that particular Samsung app update.

ffmpeg2.txt

Edited by revsigh

Ever since the update that brought nicer SRT subtitles (1.0.52-1.0.53), SD content with VOBSUB stopped transcoding (client goes direct streaming instead), without the subtitles being shown at all and 16:9 content being shown as 4:3.

It was possible to circumvent the issue by forcing transcoding with a low max bitrate, but after 1.0.55, transcoded 16:9 SD content also started to show up as 4:3, making any 16:9 content unwatchable. This is what normally happens when direct streaming such 16:9 content as it seems only VLC/FFmpeg compensates for the format 480p/576p appears in.

I'm surprised that no one else has noticed this issue, I guess it might only apply to 2015 Tizen models.

Yes, it is a 2015 issue.

Both of these should be fixed in the next release

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
SamES

I assume this wasn't included in 1.0.57? Neither issue is fixed.

I think it may have just missed that release.