Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Latchmor

Yeah, server, ET and EMC (Win 7) all on it. Running very well.

I use EMC nearly all the time as I can't get away from the Live TV/DVR features just yet, it's just so stable. I was going to dabble with WMC on Win 10 but didn't have the time to deal with the possible hassles.

I did encounter a message I'd never seen before though due to using such a new CPU with Win 7.  Found the solution here https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

Apart from that all pretty painless, oh actually I did have to fart around getting the EVO M.2 drivers available when installing Win 7 but didn't take long.

Guest asrequested

Just remember that only win 10 fully supports that CPU/GPU. And you also need at least the Z270 chipset. You're not going to have all of HWA that its capable of.

• Like 1

Latchmor

Just remember that only win 10 fully supports that CPU/GPU. And you also need at least the Z270 chipset. You're not going to have all of HWA that its capable of.

Cool. I do intend to try a Win 10 install sometime. Maybe during Christmas hols but I'll do a test run of WMC on another Win 10 first.  If I can get it stable then I'll switch completely. I will of course move to ET full time and I appreciate all the efforts you guys have been putting in to it. (I read all the ET threads).  ;)

I wonder how many of my computers could fit into the slate.

This is my current rig:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811190114

with:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153131

Without going to the links its a miniitx case with 60watt power supply and a mini itx mobo with intel atom processor.

Which is why direct play is so important for me if i am forced to transcode its just not going to work.

Edited by tdiguy

adrianwi

Some incredible setups in this thread, putting mine somewhat to shame although its served me well for the past 2 years and hopefully a few more to come.  At least the cabling is nice and tidy :D

5a0b78339651b_freenas1front.jpg

The picture was taken during the build, so it's had a few upgrades since.  It's a SuperMicro X10SL7-F with an Intel Xeon E3-1231, 4x 8GB DDR3 ECC, SeaSonic 660XP2 (picture shows a G450) inside a Fractal Define R5 case with a few extra fans.  It no longer has the 2 USB boot devices and runs FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 (the last build to support VirtualBox) from an SSD mounted on the backside of the board and now has 9x4TB Seagate HDD's running in RAID-Z2, so about 32TB of usable space (and about 8TB free)

Just over 1/3 of the storage is used for media, and I have FreeBSD jail running emby.  I've also got jails running ownCloud with OpenOffice, Calibre, and a couple of WordPress instances all behind an NGINX reverse proxy which handles the SSL.  I've got a couple of VirtualBox VM's running CrashPlan and for playing with other stuff, and it's still got my previous Plex set-up running (Plex, PlexPy, PlexEmail) although none of it connects back to Plex.  It's also running a jail for DNS caching and another running openVPN so I can connect back to everything externally.

Most of the data replicates overnight to anHP N54L Microserver sat next to it, which along with ~4TB in CrashPlan provides a decent amount of redundancy, with local and remote backup.

All the media is consumed internally on a number of tvOS and iOS devices, although I have about ~12 friends and family who access it on a mix of iOS, Android, Fire TV and Web clients.

I would genuinely be lost without it, and will no doubt replace it at some point when it's approaching capacity, probably with something very similar but with a more up to date processor, more RAM and bigger drives.  I like the fact it fits under my desk and just does its stuff, other than when I decide to change something and break it ;)

• Like 4

BAlGaInTl

Some incredible setups in this thread, putting mine somewhat to shame although its served me well for the past 2 years and hopefully a few more to come.  At least the cabling is nice and tidy :D

The picture was taken during the build, so it's had a few upgrades since.  It's a SuperMicro X10SL7-F with an Intel Xeon E3-1231, 4x 8GB DDR3 ECC, SeaSonic 660XP2 (picture shows a G450) inside a Fractal Define R5 case with a few extra fans.  It no longer has the 2 USB boot devices and runs FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 (the last build to support VirtualBox) from an SSD mounted on the backside of the board and now has 9x4TB Seagate HDD's running in RAID-Z2, so about 32TB of usable space (and about 8TB free)

I just picked up that exact same board for my E3-1271.

Did you flash that controller you are using to IT mode?  If so, what directions did you use/follow?

• 6 months later...
Fratopolis

So Here is the Fractal Node 804. Love every aspect of it. Wanted a computer that wasn't super tall like most. Personal opinion is that they just do not look good.

5afe2ed54d0c2_1.jpg

Two 500GB Sandisk for NVR Storage. Yes overkill for NVR but hey they were just lying around. Also Blueray Burner slot loading drive.

5afe2eef59e2d_2.jpg

Plenty of cooling. with two more in back one on each side.

5afe2f012f944_3.jpg

Another thing I hate about big cases. I rarely see anyone utilize a full size MB so I always asked why get one. That is a LSI M5015 hardware raid card.

5afe2f0bc3304_4.jpg

This is why I ultimately bought this case. Not crazy tall, uATX/MicroATX, and lots of hard drives. Eight racked on the right side. Plus room for two more on the MB side.

5afe2f166f1a6_5.jpg

Ultimately I got the raid card and the enterprise 3TB SAS drives for free. Which Completes my 21.828TB of raw storage. Two Arrays, each RAID 5, one storage and the other array is for Veeam Backup.

Eventually I will either add on external NAS backup, or if I am too cheap grab 2 10TB drives to mimic each array (backup and my live) with the two other 3.5inch spots on the other side.

Edited by Fratopolis
  • Like 3

chef

I did some clean up of my network box and got my Raid drives running. I bought three, and have two more arriving this week :)

5aff7168c62ce_FullSizeRender1.jpg5aff717d6fbe6_FullSizeRender.jpg5aff71a32a8fb_FullSizeRender2.jpg

• Like 1

Fratopolis

Ahhhhh another huge motherboard with nothing attached . Just feels so empty and wasteful lol  :(

Edited by Fratopolis
  • Like 1

chef

Ahhhhh another huge motherboard with nothing attached . Just feels so empty and wasteful lol :(

Its funny with media servers, compared to gaming machines, always look empty.

I think I'm going to build an acrylic shield for the mobo. Because the massive define r6 does look empty, but the cooling is so good. :)

mastrmind11

yeah mine is packed tight, to the point i'm becoming scared of losing HDDs due to heat (thus my other post :))

• 2 weeks later...
arche

Just started my overkill system for an Emby server today. Got the following:

Thermaltake Tower 900

Gigabyte X399 Designare EX Board

Threadripper 1950x

EVGA GeForce SC Hybrid GTX 1070 Ti

Going tomorrow to get the Ram, Cooling and Power Supply. Just an FYI, if anyone has a Micro Center close to them, the 1950x is on sale for $699. Hopefully have pictures soon, but I'm so damn picky, might take me a few days.

Edited by arche

Guest asrequested

Just started my overkill system for an Emby server today. Got the following:

Thermaltake Tower 900

Gigabyte X399 Designare EX Board

Threadripper 1950x

EVGA GeForce SC Hybrid GTX 1070 Ti

Going tomorrow to get the Ram, Cooling and Power Supply. Just an FYI, if anyone has a Micro Center close to them, the 1950x is on sale for $699. Hopefully have pictures soon, but I'm so damn picky, might take me a few days.

If you're using Windows 10, be sure to install with 1703 or above. Or you'll have some big problems.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51347-server-gpu-acceleration-or-cpu-processing/?p=507643

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1