Show off your rig..

saajan4u

PenkethBoy

i have just got my hands on a Lian-LI PC-343B as could not get hold of a PC8000B

CA645LL_76287_800x800.jpgCA645LL_76291_800x800.jpg

18 5.25 bays + 4 ssd mounts + 3 hdd mounts - with a few mods 45 disks are possible - mine will only have 32 initially - lol

Guest asrequested

I run a Antec 1900. It will hold 12 3.5 hard drives, 2 2.5 hard drives. And has three 5.25 bays.

That's a tower. I'm looking to get an AV rack, and put this in it. Sadly, that won't work.

i have just got my hands on a Lian-LI PC-343B as could not get hold of a PC8000B

CA645LL_76287_800x800.jpgCA645LL_76291_800x800.jpg

18 5.25 bays + 4 ssd mounts + 3 hdd mounts - with a few mods 45 disks are possible - mine will only have 32 initially - lol

That has potential, if the wheels come off.

I may take a run at this Fractal Design case

PenkethBoy

A cooler master HAF X will hold 15 hdd (with two 5 by 3 bay enclosures) plus the internal 5 hhd bays and ssd's can be slipped in to several places as necessary

i have two - one for my desktop pc and one is used as my current backup/storage server

they also have the option of large 200/230mm fans which are quiet

PenkethBoy

the wheels are riveted on but 5 mins with a small diameter drill would solve that - its also surprisingly light when empty as it aluminium rather than steel

yes nice looking case - seeing a trend here - he likes good looking cases :)

have a gander at this baby i considered this as another option but you cant get the hdd internal bay accessories in the uk or europe yet for some stupid reason

http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Super_Tower_/Core/C_00002895/Core_WP200/design.htm

Guest asrequested

This is what I am thinking of switching to for a dedicated media server. SilverStone DS380B. I know not a rack but its small foot print means put it on a shelf and forget.

That's pretty cool. I've been dubious of Silverstone. They don't seem 'solid' to me.

PenkethBoy

This is what I am thinking of switching to for a dedicated media server. SilverStone DS380B. I know not a rack but its small foot print means put it on a shelf and forget.

yes with a supermicro mini-itx server m/b (bit pricey) you could have a quite powerful NAS equivalent - slap on Xpenology and you have a Synology clone

Guest asrequested

the wheels are riveted on but 5 mins with a small diameter drill would solve that - its also surprisingly light when empty as it aluminium rather than steel

yes nice looking case - seeing a trend here - he likes good looking cases :)

have a gander at this baby i considered this as another option but you cant get the hdd internal bay accessories in the uk or europe yet for some stupid reason

http://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis/Super_Tower_/Core/C_00002895/Core_WP200/design.htm

That's cool, but wheels again. It's intended to be in a rack. So clear panels and LEDs aren't necessary. 

This is great feedback, guys. Thank you!  :)

PenkethBoy

if you are not concerned with looks get a 4u server box with or without loads of hhd options

but if you are going to use a av rack make sure the server box you buy is not full length as they will not fit

for example https://www.scan.co.uk/products/logic-case-3u-short-depth-rackmount-server-chassis-3x-525-drive-bays-5x-pcie-slots-2x-front-usb-20 - not full length

or

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4u-short-length-server-case-16x-35-hot-swappable-sata-sas-drive-bays-6gb-s-minisas-2x-525-bays

If you have room for a full length case, I'm reasonably pleased with the NORCO case I am using as a drive enclosure. 24 3.5" HDD bays in 4U for a reasonable price (it goes on sale somewhat frequently). You can get 4U cases with more drives, but I've found they are typically quite pricey.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

Guest asrequested

if you are not concerned with looks get a 4u server box with or without loads of hhd options

but if you are going to use a av rack make sure the server box you buy is not full length as they will not fit

for example https://www.scan.co.uk/products/logic-case-3u-short-depth-rackmount-server-chassis-3x-525-drive-bays-5x-pcie-slots-2x-front-usb-20 - not full length

or

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/4u-short-length-server-case-16x-35-hot-swappable-sata-sas-drive-bays-6gb-s-minisas-2x-525-bays

I haven't picked a rack yet. It won't be a server rack. It's going to house my AVR, Server, router etc. I'm gonna take some time and find a configuration and look that I want.

colejack

there are a lot of cases out there that will hold a lot more than 10 and save you a bundle of mooola

cough.. beauty in the eye of the beholder...  :)

I prefer beerholder ;)

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I do still have to worry about the aesthetic. This won't be tucked out of the way. It's going to be right in front of me. I actually like looking at technology, but it should be at least a little pretty. I want to get an enclosed rack. So i'm looking at sleek door.

shaefurr

Lights and windows make any computer AT LEAST 24% faster. You can literally SEE the performance increase.

:P

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 3

Guest asrequested

Lights and windows make any computer AT LEAST 24% faster. You can literally SEE the performance increase.

:P

AHAHAHAAAAAA! Right?!

• Like 1

shaefurr

AHAHAHAAAAAA! Right?!

lol ya. Seriously though I haven't owned a PC without cold cathodes, UV crap or LEDs since my 486. Once 3dfx interactive came out with the voodoo cards thats when I started going nuts with this lighting nonsense lol. Must be something about gaming and pretty lights :P

I think my order was 486 > POS laptop with dualscan screen which was impossible to game on > dell with a voodoo banshee, window mod and a crapload of cold cathodes. I remember my parents freaking out when I had bought a dell and the day I got it I was using a jigsaw on the case to cut a hole for the window lol. Surprisingly that dell still works almost 20 years later, I honestly don't know why I still have it :P

Oh god the memories of dualscan, and the screen just blurring into nothing when you moved in Quake, UGH

Edited by shaefurr

Guest asrequested

lol ya. Seriously though I haven't owned a PC without cold cathodes, UV crap or LEDs since my 486. Once 3dfx interactive came out with the voodoo cards thats when I started going nuts with this lighting nonsense lol. Must be something about gaming and pretty lights :P

I think my order was 486 > POS laptop with dualscan screen which was impossible to game on > dell with a voodoo banshee, window mod and a crapload of cold cathodes. I remember my parents freaking out when I had bought a dell and the day I got it I was using a jigsaw on the case to cut a hole for the window lol. Surprisingly that dell still works almost 20 years later, I honestly don't know why I still have it :P

Oh god the memories of dualscan, and the screen just blurring into nothing when you moved in Quake, UGH

I'd forgotten 486s ever existed....lol...Man! That seems like forever ago

aspdend

That's pretty cool. I've been dubious of Silverstone. They don't seem 'solid' to me.

My htpc sits in a Silverstone grandia GD01MX (finished in silver with the little VFD screen) - and has been going for years. it is very well made and solid and looks good under my TV as the Mrs doesn't like black boxes! It can only store 6 HDD's though

Just got my hands on a 200 inch remote, retractable Theater screen.

Now I am going to buy a nice 1080p projector.

• Like 2

RedBaron164

My two previous server builds have had 8-port Adaptec SATA Controllers so I could do Raid 5/6 volumes but I routinely had issues when trying to use all 8 ports and always ended up with 6 drives. I got tired of trying to find a reliable raid/power/drive setup so I decided to go the NAS route. 

For my most recent build I still use my existing servers but now I utilize an 8-Port Synology with 5TB WD Red drives in a RAID 10 configuration for centralized storage and so far I've been much happier. I do a lot of other stuff with my servers and Emby is only one piece so my solution may be overkill for some but in my book there is no such thing as overkill.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Network-Attached-DS1815/dp/B00P3RPMEO

*I can post a pic of my setup later when I get home