Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Fratopolis

Yeah when they release the next windows 10 LTSB I'll move to that. Was using LTSB 1609 but had issues.

arche

Mine is still a work in progress as I'm waiting for the two Thermaltake M360 Plus's I order for the water cooling. So at the moment I am at a stand still. Got more RAM and another EVGA GeForce SC Hybrid GTX 1070 Ti. So for now, mine looks like a hot mess. But I got it up and running on the Threadripper 1950X for testing with Emby. Seems to working good.

post-3210-0-19243800-1529460583_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

chef

Mine is still a work in progress as I'm waiting for the two Thermaltake M360 Plus's I order for the water cooling. So at the moment I am at a stand still. Got more RAM and another EVGA GeForce SC Hybrid GTX 1070 Ti. So for now, mine looks like a hot mess. But I got it up and running on the Threadripper 1950X for testing with Emby. Seems to working good.

Yes!! I love this TT case! You should make sure to keep us posted on the build! Nice choices here!

• Like 1

arche

Yes!! I love this TT case! You should make sure to keep us posted on the build! Nice choices here!

Hopefully have this finished within a couple of weeks. Just waiting on parts. But after reading @ posts, I threaded lightly with the CPU and windows. But got everything running. The bending of the pipes is going to be a pain, hence the reason I bought extra in case I mess up.  B)

Edited by arche
  • Like 1

arche

Wouldn't wanna clean that case. I'm guessing it is made to show off the motherboard?

In that picture I took off the front glass to show the mess so far (but yes, probably a pain in the ass to keep clean). It will be a functional show piece basically, only running Emby. Probably put it in the living room once it is done. Can remote into it for anything that needs to be done. Always wanted to try and build one of these with the liquid cooling kits. It's way over kill for only Emby and about 30 users, but fun to build and find all of the parts so far. Once both pumps and pipes are in and the led's (and wires are cleaned up), it'll look like a carnival in a box, lol...

Fratopolis

The cpu may not keep up with 30 consecutive users especially if most are transcoding.

Looks pretty. Wonder how long that case will hold dust out. Guess we will see.

arche

I have 30 users, but only ever really see at most maybe 7 on at the same time. Would like to push this CPU though eventually once done. Kind of curious how it will hold up. Since building this, the most I've had transcoding at the same time was 4 and the CPU never got above 30% usage. This is mostly default options, no overclocking at all. 

Now you got me thinking, lol, might have to buy a air cleaner and put it next to it and then sit next to it with my "Bug-A-Salt" (Google this thing if you haven't heard about it, freaking hilarious).

Fratopolis

I hate cleaning mine and I do not even care about the window on the side of mine. Wish it didn't have one.

EDIT: PS I have the same battery backup

Edited by Fratopolis

chef

There is a great video on YouTube by declassified systems, where he takes that TT case and completely overhauls the entire thing. It's inenof my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...
arche

Damn! What I have is more than I need, those things are beasts!

lol, yes they are. But it might be interesting if it'll still use the same board. But depending on what article you read, some say they will work with the same board and some say a new board will be needed. But the junkie I am, I am sure I'll buy it. Like a child, I'm kind of curious as to what the box will look like, lol..

Guest asrequested

lol, yes they are. But it might be interesting if it'll still use the same board. But depending on what article you read, some say they will work with the same board and some say a new board will be needed. But the junkie I am, I am sure I'll buy it. Like a child, I'm kind of curious as to what the box will look like, lol..

lol, yeah I like new and shiny, too. 

• Like 1

Waldonnis

I'm dying to see if the new TRs increase AVX2 performance compared to the first gens, personally.  Their choice of going with 128bit execution units on existing Ryzens/TRs makes sense from some perspectives, but really hurts x265 performance even compared to Intels that have fewer cores.  Most other encoders (like x264) and applications aren't bothered by this since they're not AVX2-heavy, but I expect to see more next-gen codecs using AVX2 as much (if not more)...and maybe even AVX-512 if throttling doesn't kill its usefulness and the encoder implementation benefits from it.

From a "shiny toy" perspective, I'd definitely love to get my hands on a new TR, of course.  For me to actually consider it for an encoding machine is heavily dependent on if the increased core count can offset the the differences in IPC and AVX2 throughput compared to Intel, though.  Unfortunately, popular review sites suck at designing encoding benchmarks (their results effectively useless), so I'll have to wait until someone who actually knows something about real-world encoding scenarios runs more realistic workloads through one rather than trying to read into results from some site doing downscaled 8-bit "veryfast" HEVC encodes of easy animated content like BBB with Handbrake (who needs to do an encode like this...ever?  It's like testing a new video card by reporting the fps you get while playing Minesweeper).

Edited by Waldonnis
  • Like 1

chef

Thread ripper 2 does use the same board. You can just swap it in.

• 1 month later...
pearsco

My new wee rig  :) I was considering a NUC but decided on this, still pretty small at 16 x 16 x 8 cm.

5a0b61ef9d294_IMG_20171114_201712.jpg

Case/Mobo - ASRock DeskMini 110
CPU - Intel Core i7-7700
CPU Cooler - Noctura NH L9i
Memory - Corsair 16GB
OS SSD - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250 GB
Data SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB

Just remember that only win 10 fully supports that CPU/GPU. And you also need at least the Z270 chipset. You're not going to have all of HWA that its capable of.

I have a deskmini 110 and was thinking about upgrading my i7-6700 to the i7-7700 kaby lake so I can transcode HEVC 10 bit movies with via the HD 630 igpu. Are you saying the 110 in the deskmini wont support hardware acceleration that I am looking for?

• 1 month later...

Couldn't help myself, haven't even finishing building my emby server and ordered the threadripper 2990wx to replace the 1950x. Guess I'll find out if this board will support it or if I'll have to get another board.

Edited by arche

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

I have a deskmini 110 and was thinking about upgrading my i7-6700 to the i7-7700 kaby lake so I can transcode HEVC 10 bit movies with via the HD 630 igpu. Are you saying the 110 in the deskmini wont support hardware acceleration that I am looking for?

I think you'll have some trouble trying to do that. Tone mapping the HDR hasn't been implemented, so you'll lose it.

• 1 month later...
VaporTrail

I think you'll have some trouble trying to do that. Tone mapping the HDR hasn't been implemented, so you'll lose it.

Good to know. Perhaps 3D LUT support in Kodi is a temporary solution. I've also read that Kodi 18 now has Rec. 2020 to Rec. 709 color mapping integrated.

Guest asrequested

Good to know. Perhaps 3D LUT support in Kodi is a temporary solution. I've also read that Kodi 18 now has Rec. 2020 to Rec. 709 color mapping integrated.

You could just use Emby Theater for Windows. The above post was specific to transcoding on the server. But for playback, Theater will do what you want.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1