Show off your rig..

saajan4u

shaefurr

Bought a new GPU a few months ago, can finally play games at 4K.

58e68bef1d418_0306171317a.jpg

Guest asrequested

Nice! Cool looking, too, as always. Games in 4k must be amazing? What frame rate are playing at?

I've just ordered an i7 7700k and new mobo. Fun times, ahead.

shaefurr

Yeah it looks amazing the image is just so clear and crisp, almost no need for any anti aliasing, so I keep AA at a lower setting now.

And I run it at 60 fps, most games run on ultra, but some need to drop down to high to maintain that fps.

Battlefield 1 screenshot

EDIT: uploaded via imgbox instead, forum kept resizing the 4k screen to 1600x900.

7D91P4wH.jpg VHAh6KlH.jpg 0BCqoapP.jpg

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

politby

Thought I'd share my attic installation - this is the switch which supports all Emby and other media devices. Not one of my proudest moments in wiring  ;)

58ecf1787ec1a_file1.jpg

CBers

Damn, I love those motherboards! The PCB is so thick and heavy, they are so well made!

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Giga-Byte GA-Z170XP-SLI for my new server.

I'm running an i5-7400 CPU with (currently) 8Gb ram.

Plenty of Horse Power for my needs :)

Guest asrequested

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Giga-Byte GA-Z170XP-SLI for my new server.

I'm running an i5-7400 CPU with (currently) 8Gb ram.

Plenty of Horse Power for my needs :)

How are you liking the mono?

CBers

Lol.. Clucking phone! Mobo (motherboard)

The mono (sic) is brilliant :)

Great options and plenty of places to plug "things" into it.

Will upgrade the RAM/CPU as and when I have to.

Guest asrequested

The mono (sic) is brilliant :)

Great options and plenty of places to plug "things" into it.

Will upgrade the RAM/CPU as and when I have to.

I've always been happy with mine. And they are well supported, too.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

Gents, I believe it's time to update my graphics card as I think it may be the cause of some sync issues etc (ati hd5460 600Mhz)

Any recommendations for 4K, hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2 PCIe compatible

Silent graphics card (future proof) for dedicated Media center pc?

Edited by PrincessClevage

Guest asrequested

Gents, I believe it's time to update my graphics card as I think it may be the cause of some sync issues etc (ati hd5460 600Mhz)

Any recommendations for 4K, hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2 PCIe compatible

Silent graphics card (future proof) for dedicated Media center pc?

A silent card with those capabilities? I opted for the Kaby Lake, route. You may want to hold on, though. Theater desktop is on the verge of getting a new player. Things are about to get better.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

A silent card with those capabilities? I opted for the Kaby Lake, route. You may want to hold on, though. Theater desktop is on the verge of getting a new player. Things are about to get better.

i have been following the mvp post, from what I have read this is still in infancy and may be many months until production release?

Guest asrequested

i have been following the mvp post, from what I have read this is still in infancy and may be many months until production release?

Well, one of the reasons that Luke has chosen it is because very little coding needs to be done. It's almost a direct implementation. Once he's got the api figured, I would imagine it won't be long before we're using it. In the mean time, you may want to look at Kaby Lake. At this time, I believe it's the only GPU that has 10bit 4K HWA. 

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

Well, one of the reasons that Luke has chosen it is because very little coding needs to be done. It's almost a direct implementation. Once he's got the api figured, I would imagine it won't be long before we're using it. In the mean time, you may want to look at Kaby Lake. At this time, I believe it's the only GPU that has 10bit 4K HWA.

is integrated gpu the way to go or are there option for dedicated PCIe still?

Guest asrequested

is integrated gpu the way to go or are there option for dedicated PCIe still?

A bunch of these guys like to use Nvidia cards, but I think the fan noise is more than you want, plus they're intended more for gaming. For a dedicated HTPC, low noise, great HWA, future proof....Kaby Lake with the Z270 chipset. I just got them for that exact purpose. But I went for the best of the bunch, you probably don't need to do that.

I think Integrated GPU is still the most affordable and currently most silent option to go. You could get a passive GPU that could support 4K but you will be spending more and creating more heat over time (as you now have 2 main heat sources cramped up inside a tiny box).

Intel GPUs are great for that sort of jobs to be honest.

Soon I'll be posting my setup :P

puithove

The integrated Intel GPU also gets you much more accurate video clocks.  23.976 mode on NVidia is not exactly 23.976.  AMD is supposedly a little bit better than NVidia, but still off.  You end up dropping frames in order to keep audio in sync.  Intel is nearly perfect.

So my answer would be, unless you want to do gaming on the same machine, yes, integrated Intel GPU is the way to go.

Edited by puithove

PrincessClevage

The integrated Intel GPU also gets you much more accurate video clocks. 23.976 mode on NVidia is not exactly 23.976. AMD is supposedly a little bit better than NVidia, but still off. You end up dropping frames in order to keep audio in sync. Intel is nearly perfect.

So my answer would be, unless you want to do gaming on the same machine, yes, integrated Intel GPU is the way to go.

If I wanted to stick with PCIe any reccomendation of card to support 4k , hdmi2 hdcp and silent as possible ?
  • Like 1

MSattler

If I wanted to stick with PCIe any reccomendation of card to support 4k , hdmi2 hdcp and silent as possible ?

You want to go integrated. The Nvidia cards I believe are limited to 2 streams at a time. The Intel ones are not. Until Luke changes emby to switch to cpu based transcoding if the nvidia gpu already has 2 streams you will get failures.

• Like 1

tyr_88

I'll post my rig works been insane just the weather here my stuff is seasonal and it is a PIA this year

tyr_88

Video card I definitely would get a EVGA = 3yr or more warranty = instant RMA best support ever

Guys here at Emby are 2nd best I have seen on product support and actually the only I have seen worthy of ranking in my book lol hard to make it