So close but no cigar

timeslip1974

timeslip1974

the live tv could be awesome if at least once a day I didnt have to reset the server to release the tuners, its so frustrating that the wife misses out on recordings because I havent checked every few hours to see if the recordings have released the tuner - Which for the record is a hauppauge wintv dual

the same tuner works fine on both tvheadend and nextpvr - which again I have to revert back to as Embys PVR cant be trusted!

AmericanMike

I'm suspecting I have this same issue.  I have 4 tuners and use the live TV for about 5 hours every day.  About 3 times per week I have to restart the Emby Server.  I have been making notes around what I was doing in Emby before this happened.  Starting to suspect its how I start the show (guide vs channel) and/or how I exit the channel (back out vs hit home).

jachin99

If you have 3 pvrs trying g to grab the same 2 tuners then maybe that is the cause? You can try turning off TV headend and next pvr. I had a similar issue with next pvr where emby couldn't find a tuner. I know emby and wmc do pretty good at sharing hdhr primes but next pvr was kind of greedy and it seemed like it would hoard tuners.

BAlGaInTl

Interesting, isn't the support for Hauppauge tuners relatively new?

Maybe posting logs the next time it happens would help the devs track the issue down.

I've been using Silicondust HDHomerun tuners since I've started using Emby without an issue.

timeslip1974

Yet another day of locked tuners,yet another day of lost recordings. I have both iptv and an tv tuner attached and neither work once the system does its daily lockup until the servers rebooted - completely unreliable i`ve included screenshots and logs in the links

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FZgqiT4rPwWrAV9KKzkkzGP-Y2WfnN5M

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E0fBZmKLD_mpbsNmYJi1pHi86iBJAXQa5c64121e4f181_Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...

OK yes there is an issue with certain hauppauge models that we are looking into, where when stopping a live stream, it doesn't actually close the live stream on the tuner. We are looking into this .Thanks.

rakstr

OK yes there is an issue with certain hauppauge models that we are looking into, where when stopping a live stream, it doesn't actually close the live stream on the tuner. We are looking into this .Thanks.

I've been spending a great deal of time reviewing the LiveTV/DVR issues over the past couple weeks.

I'm currently using PLEX and very much want to test drive EMBY as a replacement.  However, as I dig I see many of the same "annoyances" I've come to dislike about PLEX.   I don't mean that to be a slam, just a suggestion to provide an enticement for people to migrate.

I offer a couple suggestions which I think will bring joy to many in similar situations.

1. Tuner support - Look above and again you see vague reference to Hauppauge tuners but missing specifics.  I am already vested in 3 Hauppauge Quad PCI cards and don't plan to spend anymore on hardware.  I already bought another just for the EMBY testing after posting some Q's only to now find out my tuners may not be directly supported.
    • Provide specifics on tuner support and installation.  The "wiki" is not sufficient
    • Outline challenges known for each of the supported tuners
    • Open a tuner specific sub-forum under LiveTV for each supported tuner
    • Do NOT rely on "plug-in software" support.
  2. Bug reporting - One of my biggest gripes with PLEX is the amount of effort required to report a bug, find out if a bug has already been reported, find out if a bug is being worked and posting of log files with WAY more information than I care to share on a public forum.
    • Open a sub-forum for EACH release version for all bugs related to that release.  If a bug STILL exists I'd be willing to "re-report" if the other items listed here are provided.
    • Add a "button" to the server that gathers everything you need/require (logs, ...), sends it to you directly, and generates a unique identifier to the user.  The user then takes that identifier and makes an entry in the above mentioned sub-forum with the description of the problem.
    • At some point in the future that ID could also be used to report what is being worked, combined as "same issue" and maybe even in the release notes indicating a fix and/or reject
  3. Maintain a running list of known issues being worked.  HONESTY and OPENNESS goes a LONG WAY, at least with me, securing LOYALTY
  4. Try to consolidate similar/overlapping threads. Maintain a list of "BACK BURNER" issues
  5. PROVIDE a 1-2 week free access.  It's not so much the money. I HATE giving out credit card information for trials.

I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel and I'm sure many of these things aren't new to folks.  I'm just bringing them up as frustrations as I try to evaluate EMBY.

Edited by rakstr

• 2 months later...
rakstr

@@rakstr thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree you have some good points there.

I was wondering if any progress has been made, specifically with Hauppauge tuners.

Are they now "direct support" as was promised (e.g. no plugins required)?  Is there a free evaluation period for EMBY (a week should be sufficient, 2 would be ideal)?  I've got a machine, I've got a Hauappauge Quad-PCI installed, I've got Emby on the server, I've got Emby on my ROKUs, and I'm looking to switch from PLEX.

Do you have the incentive for me to switch?  PLEASE say yes to all!!!!!

denz

Why is it so hard for users to pay for a month it is cheap and supports the devs.

• Like 2

rakstr

Why is it so hard for users to pay for a month it is cheap and supports the devs.

Because more often than not the reason for not moving forward is things do not really work as advertised.  Have you ever returned something to the store?  That's basically a free trial.

Spaceboy

BUT I get my money back!

people like you are why the high st is dying on its feet
  • Like 2

denz

Luckily only once but that was because it was broken device. If it cost a lot of money than I would definitely agree with you that I want a trial but not for $5 bucks by the time it took you to write the post you couldn't have already tried it and discovered is it suitable for you or not.

I was in a similar situation as you I have tried plex on multiple occasions to see is it better for live tv and it is not. I just paid and moved on.

Considering how complex this software project is with all the clients I would be very surprised if the devs ever changed that. I don't think there is a project out there that devs respond so fast and if you discover an issue they will work with you to resolve it. Just think of that $5 as a contribution to a good cause.  

Spaceboy

I saw elsewhere ebr agreed to credit the first month against a lifetime licence if bought within a week. I think that’s extremely generous

• Like 1

SHSPVR

I was wondering if any progress has been made, specifically with Hauppauge tuners.

Are they now "direct support" as was promised (e.g. no plugins required)?  Is there a free evaluation period for EMBY (a week should be sufficient, 2 would be ideal)?  I've got a machine, I've got a Hauappauge Quad-PCI installed, I've got Emby on the server, I've got Emby on my ROKUs, and I'm looking to switch from PLEX.

Do you have the incentive for me to switch?  PLEASE say yes to all!!!!!

I don't think we see this any time soon as far direct support goes the best option I found is use NextPVR and set it up as M3U Tuner under Emby unfortunately Cast4ME has issues and lacks features and 'm petty sure the dev has abandon it 

You want see

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69226-recording-episode-or-series-in-specific-nextpvr-folder/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67677-nextpvr-and-the-future/

I to would love to see the Emby Team add direct support, but you need keep mind there lot things that would half be add in order for them to make that work.

• 4 weeks later...
rakstr

How do you claim to have a LiveTV product without direct support for one of the more popular PCI tuners on the market?

Also, and I started a new thread, I'm wondering if EMBY is matching the Father's Day PLEX promo of $99 for a lifetime pass.

I don't think we see this any time soon as far direct support goes the best option I found is use NextPVR and set it up as M3U Tuner under Emby unfortunately Cast4ME has issues and lacks features and 'm petty sure the dev has abandon it 

You want see

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/69226-recording-episode-or-series-in-specific-nextpvr-folder/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67677-nextpvr-and-the-future/

I to would love to see the Emby Team add direct support, but you need keep mind there lot things that would half be add in order for them to make that work.

SHSPVR

How do you claim to have a LiveTV product without direct support for one of the more popular PCI tuners on the market?

Also, and I started a new thread, I'm wondering if EMBY is matching the Father's Day PLEX promo of $99 for a lifetime pass.

There diff type of LiveTV support emby using 3rdparty where other like Plex, WinTV using hardware driver level support add in all setup function in order to scan and tune for channel another word it integrated in to the software.

rakstr

But that's not how it's advertised.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54780-tuner-question/&do=findComment&comment=531352

There diff type of LiveTV support emby using 3rdparty where other like Plex, WinTV using hardware driver level support add in all setup function in order to scan and tune for channel another word it integrated in to the software.

Edited by rakstr

rakstr

That  by definition is not native support.  Look, I appreciate you trying to guess what's going on but could we just wait and hope for an EMBY employee to respond?

TIA!

They did add native support but that req WinTV to be install just not full integrated support as far I know.