Subtitles always on?

stoc2528

stoc2528

Whenever I watch some of my TV series on Emby the subtitles are on by default and I have to turn them off.  This works fine while viewing from a web browsers but the Emby Roku app will not turn them off.  The subtitles are not burned in, btw.

Edited by stoc2528

stoc2528

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I have. 

I've got "open subtitles" unchecked

"Only download subtitles that are a perfect match"  checked

"Skip if default track matches" checked

"Skip if video already contains embedded" checked

"Save subtitles into media folders" checked

While watching TV series that have the subtitles available in the .m4v file, they still default to "on / english"  While viewing in a web browser I have to turn them off for each episode but the Emby Roku app won't let me.  On the Roku app, when I choose to subtitles "off" the screen goes blank for a few seconds then the video starts again with the subtitles back on. 

I have to exit the video, go back to the "season" view, choose the same episode, then try disabling subtitles again.  It will not let me disable them while watching one episode after another- At the end of one episode, I have to exit back to the season view and then choose the next episode manually if I want to be able to turn the subtitles off.

This happens on my Windows server at home and the Ubuntu server at work that I've built (which will replace the windows server at home).

This does not happen with the same episodes while viewing through Plex, which Emby is replacing.

samuelqwe

Check the Emby USER subtitle preferences. You can find these by clicking your profile icon in the top right corner and selecting the subtitles option. From there you can change the subtitle mode from always to something else like default or off. You can still enable subtitles during playback at any moment.

• Like 1

stoc2528

Check the Emby USER subtitle preferences.

I think that did it Samel!   I was fiddling with the SERVER settings, not the USER settings.  It seems to work on my work laptop while logged into my "new" Linux Emby server via the web interface.  I'll check it tonight on my "old" windows server / roku tonight.

samuelqwe

I think that did it Samel! I was fiddling with the SERVER settings, not the USER settings. It seems to work on my work laptop while logged into my "new" Linux Emby server via the web interface. I'll check it tonight on my "old" windows server / roku tonight.

The server settings just define whether or not subtitles should be downloaded based on certain conditions. Glad you were able to figure it out!

samuelqwe

Do user subtitle settings take effect on all apps, or are they set on a per-app basis?

They should generally, but some settings like appearance may be per client. Maybe @@Luke can elaborate on that?

crusher11

What does 'subtitle mode' do? 'Always' and 'no subtitles' are obvious but what are 'default', 'forced only' and 'smart'?

crusher11

I had, but I didn't realise until now that it changed when you selected a different option. I did think it was rather confusing and unhelpful initially, because I thought it was giving an overview of the various options.

I'm still not entirely sure I understand the difference between 'smart' and 'default' though. And I'm not sure what marking a subtitle as forced means or why it would be done.

crusher11

Am I right in thinking 'Smart' and 'Default' work exactly the same unless the audio is in the preferred language, in which case Default turns non-forced subs on and Smart turns them off? I assume Smart respects forced subs in the main audio language?

Default gives decision making priority to default/forced flags in the tracks, and then your preferred language as a secondary criteria. Smart is the other way around.

crusher11

So with my language set to English, and English audio with forced English subs for a brief period of foreign dialog, would those subs show up with it set to Smart?

I found Default kept turning on English subs for English-audio content, which I'm guessing is just a flagging error somewhere.

So with my language set to English, and English audio with forced English subs for a brief period of foreign dialog, would those subs show up with it set to Smart?

@@crusher11, yes.

Is it possible to have the subtitle preference saved per video?  Smart mode would work for me except Emby doesn't know the audio language of some videos.  In these cases it is forcing subtitles.  If I could just have the mode set to "No Subtitles" and then for the few videos where I need them I can go in and pick the subtitle and have it stick that would be ideal.  I believe this is how Plex handles it.  Currently it seems like the subtitle selection (in the web GUI) for a particular video is only applied if you start playback immediately.  The next time you come in it changes back to whatever Emby thinks it should be.  Am I missing a setting where I can tell Emby to not manage my subtitles for me?

It does that no matter which mode you select?  Here is an example where I have "No subtitles" selected.  When I change the subtitle for a video it isn't saving.  Also whenever I change the mode it changes the subtitle selection for all my videos to match the new mode.

5c60b0673e18a_8806ba4fdcc5.gif

Sorry, not when no subtitles is selected. 

I think we should make the remembering optional and allow you to turn it on no matter what the subtitle mode is.

But also, your method of testing is not sufficient. You need to actually play for it to be remembered.

Aha, I had previously tried playing and checking to see if it stuck but I think I was still on "No subtitles".  Can I suggest allowing it to be remembered when you set it rather than when you play it?  When I add an item I'm not always playing it right away so it would be more convenient to just set it after the add.  For now I can set it to smart and do a once over and remember to hit play after my change.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
miniliQuid

I found Default kept turning on English subs for English-audio content, which I'm guessing is just a flagging error somewhere.

@@crusher11, yes.

Luke what are the exceptions to this? Because lately I have had some trouble getting forced to work for foreign parts (have had this for a while, English preference with Smart subs).

Haven't figured the problem out just yet, but could it be that it doesn't recognize the forced subtitles?

What do you mean by exceptions? Are your subtitles actually forced subtitles? Can you go over an example? thanks.

miniliQuid

What do you mean by exceptions? Are your subtitles actually forced subtitles? Can you go over an example? thanks.

Just wondering if there are exceptions, so I can find out why it is sometimes ignoring the subs for foreign parts.

I am currently watching Narco's but it never starts with the forced subtitles.

I have to manually select one of the English subtitles (usually the middle one) to get subs for the Spanish audio parts.

My guess is the other 2 Eng subs it shows are for deaf/bad hearing people, and the normal Eng subs (subtitles for everything).

In short, just wondering if there is any exception where it wouldn't picked forced subs for foreign bits even though sub settings are smart & English?