Emby Version 4 real-time monitoring is not working - Synology 2413/15+ and all other

Seger
Go to solution Solved by Seger,

Lexizilla

Many Thanks @@Seger

that solution works fine for me. Also in Plex :)

I don´t think that Emby will solve it in 4.2, because it seems to be more an issue by Snology...

• Like 1

Lexizilla

Hi,

did you also do Step 3 for persistant change?
For me it works first after a reboot of the NAS

After rebbot checked the record as well and it works.

Alex

Hjlfmir

Thank you for your help.

I did all 3 steps.

After a reboot, the cmd "cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches" returns the old value : 8xxx.

I verified the "sysctl.conf" and it well contains the line "fs.inotify.max_user_watches=1048576".

After using the cmd "sudo sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf", the correct value is returned.

Real time monitoring seems work.

Do you think it is the normal behavior ?

Edited by Hjlfmir

Seger

The change above will not survive a restart. To make the change permanent, do the following:

1. Edit /etc/sysctl.conf as root:

Thank you for your help.

I did all 3 steps.

After a reboot, the cmd "cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches" returns the old value : 8xxx.

I verified the "sysctl.conf" and it well contains the line "fs.inotify.max_user_watches=1048576".

After using the cmd "sudo sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf", the correct value is returned.

Real time monitoring seems work.

Do you think it is the normal behavior ?

The change above will not survive a restart. To make the change permanent, do the following:

1. Edit /etc/sysctl.conf as root: with WinSCP -> see my file in Upload
    2. Set (or add if it's not present) the "fs.inotify.max_user_watches" parameter. Set this to the desired number of watches:fs.inotify.max_user_watches=1048576
    3. Save sysctl.conf and exit.

4. root: Either reboot the system or execute the following command: sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf

sysctl.zip

Edited by Seger
  • Like 1

anthonygreen77

I believe this method pointed out earlier in the thread is better as it will survive a DSM upgrade, is easier to add though the web interface and it can be easily managed in task manager ie. turned off later if its fixed. It's described here https://forum.syncthing.net/t/setting-inotify-limit-permanently-on-synology-diskstation/12221/3

One other question, I am having the same issue as described in this thread, but its also affecting identifying / searching for media metadata and then saving the metadata. So not just scanning full library etc. For instance until I hit some upper limit of files, I could use identify on media and search imdb / moviedb etc, and the search worked plus once I selected the right title it would save and update in the library. Now even if I manually edit the metadata and put in the moviedb or other reference direct, without searching it still wont update the media artwork, information etc in the library.

New to Emby so just wanted to check this is a related issue?

Synology RS2418+ with latest stable release of Emby. Have added the inotify fix as per the above through task manager on boot.

Edited by anthonygreen77