Orphaned Files in Transcoding-Temp

yaksplat

yaksplat

I routinely need to go into the Transcoding-Temp directory and clean up all of the orphaned files.  Just today i deleted 8900 of them, usually it ends up being in the 20-40 GB range.  This has happened a great deal more since switching back to the Apple TV app.  I was hoping that this had been fixed in the last few versions since reporting the issue last year.  Has any headway been made on this issue?

yaksplat

Usually just Menu to the home screen, or Sleep.  But I believe that it's still running at that point.  There's also the no activity timeout on the appleTV that will turn off the tv and receiver via CEC, but yet again, i don't know if the app is still running.

Usually just Menu to the home screen,

There are two buttons on your remote - one of them is labled "menu" (and acts like a "back" button) the other one is the Home button.

Which one do you press to stop playback?

yaksplat

If a show is over, we'll Menu out of it and then proceed to another show.  If we're done for the night in the middle of a show, i'd hold down Home and force the AppleTV to sleep.

i'd hold down Home and force the AppleTV to sleep.

Okay, that is probably the source of these things not getting cleaned up.  We'll need to test that scenario to see how the app or server can react to that.

Thanks.

yaksplat

I'll pay attention to what's getting orphaned in what scenario.  Also, keep in mind that the AppleTV has a sleep function after no activity.  Mine goes off after 15 minutes.  This may be causing it as well.

I'll pay attention to what's getting orphaned in what scenario.  Also, keep in mind that the AppleTV has a sleep function after no activity.  Mine goes off after 15 minutes.  This may be causing it as well.

That would not happen during playback.

yaksplat

Right, that is after playback, but i don't know when cleanup takes place.  What are the cleanup points in the code?

Those items are cleaned up as soon as no one is using them anymore, which will be reported by the app if you stop playback normally.