Samsung Smart TV - app feedback

bellocarico

bellocarico

I've used yesterday for the first time Emby on the TV. Seems ok and does the job indeed but I have a couple of feedbacks I'd like to share

1- I see no setting to customise the font style/size

2- when a movie with subtitles is played, in the position where the subtitles are I can see a little grey square box when no text is displayed. I was just wondering if this is wanted/not and can be removed if needed.

As I use the "smart remote" of the tv:

3- to open the control interface I need to press either up or down which is a bit counter intuitive as usually it's the center button.

a- also on this point if I was to pause the movie I need to use 2 different buttons up (or down) and centre. I think it's a good idea to have the pause working with a double click on the very same button

b- once you open the interface there's no way to hide it immediately. you can just let it timeout. Perhaps you can change as follow?

* center = open interface and when the interface is opened it would instead perform the selection

* down = force interface to hide

c- if the movie has subtitles and you open the interface it would be great if the subtitles can be moved just above the interface so that you don't miss any text. Currently the interface is translucent which already help but moving above IMHO would be a better solution. Plex (not that should always be taken as an example) does this too and I think it works well.

d- there's something a bit fiddly about the current interface. Say I open it and pause the video. If for whatever reason it takes me too long to make my selection and I happen to press right or left while the interface is closing (very short timeout btw) it will skip the video back and forward. Unwanted. This links to point b-, so perhaps having a longer timeout but allowing the user to "force close" with button down could be a good solution?

4- The end time in my version is broken: EndsAtValue displayed

5- I don't see any way to tell if the video is transcoded or not

6- Not really that important but I feel like mentioning this here any ways. When opening the settings (like subtitles etc) I think it would be great to have a non-disruptive semi translucent pop up perhaps on the left/right side rather than load a full page on top of the video just for 2 settings. Also the video needn't stop...

None than less great product!

:D

Thanks for the feedback.  Could you please let me know the app version you have installed on the TV and the TV model?

I think some of these issues are resolved in a future release. Thanks

v1.0.29

Yeah, that's quite old (but is probably the latest release for your model).  Some of these issues are resolved.  Please check again after the next update.

Edited by SamES

bellocarico

Ok thanks. P.S. the TV is brand new - late 2018 model running tizan 4.x. So surprised this is an old version of emby.

Regardless I'll keep an eye on it

Thanks again

I was just looking to post some feedback regarding experience on my Samsung TV.  I have a un60ks8000f which is now probably a 5 year old model, purchased it about 2-3 years back.

Anyway here are my observations, to be honest this working directly from my SmartTV apps is ideal.  

• Navigating the guide is very slow.  Seems to just stop and load every few clicks through the guide.
  • I am able to pause, but I am unable to rewind.  When I click rewind it does nothing at all.
  • Picture quality is good, and in fact less laggy than my FireTV or Apple TV.  
  • Initial access to the channel is slow, maybe 50% slower than FireTV experience at times. 

Overall my primary issue is performance accessing channels and sluggish response in the guide.  Which makes the experience painful.  Another thread we were talking about SD/HD option, that will also help reduce some navigation here as well.

H there, we are working on improving the performance of the app. Thanks for the feedback.

Awesome!   I look forward to the improvements. 

Can the app update be triggered somehow? The TV thinks it has the latest release...

The update process for the TV should be automatic so it is likely that you have the latest version for your model.  There are a few models waiting on release from Samsung, so hopefully this comes soon.

• Like 1