Implement Metacritic ratings and allow Enable/Disable ratings option in settings

KumarjitDey

KumarjitDey

Request No. 1: Implement Metascore rating for movies, from Metacritic.com, in Emby. OMDb api provides this information.

5c592b02e946a_DEA52F7F23804B83A595C3123A

Request No. 2: Also, fix an option in settings to enable or disable a ratings source according to the user's choice.

5c592af39ca23_zzsxx.jpg

Edited by KumarjitDey
  • Like 39
  • Agree 1

• 8 months later...
Nightreaver

Was there any update on this? Recent events have shown that Rotten Tomatoe became more and more useless when it comes to rate movies. Having other options and/or change RT to strictly display audience critics is highly appreciated

Nightreaver

I have the Firefox extension "Film scores on Netflix" which is able to display 

* Filmweb

* metacritic 

* IMDb

* TheMovieDB

You might be able to refer to his source to get the way how he is collecting the scores?

https://github.com/mrwrob/netfweb/blob/master/netfweb/background.js

There are other extension out that that do similar things on all netflix movies, so I guess collecting data is "easily" possible.

Edited by Nightreaver

Deathsquirrel

There are other extension out that that do similar things on all netflix movies, so I guess collecting data is "easily" possible.

Easily isn't in doubt, 'legally, using an api provided by a legitimate source for that data' is less certain.

Easily isn't in doubt, 'legally, using an api provided by a legitimate source for that data' is less certain.

Correct.

Happy2Play

Technically we already have the information,as shown above, it is just a matter of using the data provided by OMDB. 

NightwingDG

I was just trying to find a setting for this myself. The ability to enable/disable ratings from any source would be nice to have.

Romek123

and data update for "rating only" would be great. i would love to let update my rating for my library atleast once a month. but it scrapes other data too

Edited by Romek123
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Damien_

I’d like this as well. curious, I understand that there may be a legal issue utilizing metacritic ratings from omdbapi with Emby’s hardcoded api. However would there be the same concern if we used our own paid API? What if the MC rating was listed in the summary without Their branding etc?

Since the omdb agent is already there be nice to utilize all the info that comes from it. Just an idea. 

I’d like this as well. curious, I understand that there may be a legal issue utilizing metacritic ratings from omdbapi with Emby’s hardcoded api. However would there be the same concern if we used our own paid API? What if the MC rating was listed in the summary without Their branding etc?

Since the omdb agent is already there be nice to utilize all the info that comes from it. Just an idea. 

We'd have to adjust the database a little to accommodate multiple ratings from different sources but yes it's possible.

Damien_

Was there any update on this? Recent events have shown that Rotten Tomatoe became more and more useless when it comes to rate movies. Having other options and/or change RT to strictly display audience critics is highly appreciated

I agree. I still find it more useful than IMDb user ratings where everything is a 6 or 7, but RT is now owned by Warner bro’s or one of those big Hollywood media companies. Their objectivity was bought out.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I definitely agree and would like a feature that updates all of my movie ratings (and only the ratings) on an automatic schedule. This would be fantastic. 

• 3 months later...
GrimReaper

Makes you wonder why hasn't this been implemented already? 🙄

As @Happy2Play stated, data is technically already there, it's just a matter of parsing same.

I'm positive the argument "When is enough?" will eventually pop-up again - well, I'd say presently is definitely NOT enough, what with IMDB ratings being almost mediocre across the board and review-bombing wars fought every now and then (applicable as well on RT), and RT Critics ratings being more irrelevant than ever, bordering on ridiculous - neither is actually a good indication of anything, least of all quality. 

• 3 weeks later...
GrimReaper

To be honest, I find it a little bit surprising that ratings get so little love, despite being one of the more prominent details shown, literally first one displayed following movie name in any app. And rating system, in general, is surely in need of an overhaul. Web app has space abound to accommodate additional ratings, either by expanding current placement or along right-screen edge (and that is excluding implementing options to display only user-selected, which would surely limit that number as we all have our own preferences and inclinations, but regardless, if one wants to see four ratings - why not?), as well as client apps can (looking at AndroidTV Detail view and OSD rows, I suppose same goes for Fire devices, Rokus, various TV brands...?), and I'm not exactly clear why are only those two forced down upon users while there are number of other sources retreivable (TMDB API, Trakt API, Metacritic via OMDB API...). Hardly any of them could be called unknown and, hence, ignored for that reason. So, could someone please tell what IS the reason? 

Edit: To put things in perspective: "You can have as many Genres as you want... You can have as many Tags as you want... You can have Plot as long as you want... You can have as many Cast as you want... You can have as much Video/Audio/Subtitle details as you want... basically you can have as much of everything as you want... BUT... You can have no more than two ratings. Of our choosing."??? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
horstepipe

+1!

Maybe also an „overhaul“ rating (which takes the medium of all ratings fetched) would be possible. 

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe

Is there meanwhile a workaround how to refresh ONLY ratings for all movies/shows? I have custom genres and tags so I do not want them to be refreshed, but I want up to date ratings. 

BaukeZwart
2 hours ago, horstepipe said:

Is there meanwhile a workaround how to refresh ONLY ratings for all movies/shows? I have custom genres and tags so I do not want them to be refreshed, but I want up to date ratings. 

You can with the help of an external program like tinyMediaManager. You run it with a cli or gui.

• Like 1

horstepipe
3 hours ago, BaukeZwart said:

You can with the help of an external program like tinyMediaManager. You run it with a cli or gui.

thank you! So this one I can run via command line (linux) and only specify ratings in .nfos to be updated?

BaukeZwart
49 minutes ago, horstepipe said:

thank you! So this one I can run via command line (linux) and only specify ratings in .nfos to be updated?

Correct, here you can find more information about the CLI settings.
In the program you can set the field(s) to be updated and select the metadata provider(s). I can recommend using the tmm universal scraper, with that scraper you can set a metadata provider per category.

• Thanks 1