Tune to HD channel

Diablo97

Diablo97

Would it be possible to select a channel and have it auto-tune to the HD version of a station or even prompt the user and allow them to select the HD station without going through the guide?

• Like 5

SikSlayer

Just curious, if you have an HD version, why would you keep the SD version?

Fair question. But some folks tune into SD channels, even when HD versions exist. Yes, you could just disable the SD stations, or remap the channel numbers... but some cable providers, for example, change their channel lineup so much its a pain to keep up.

Besides, its a standard feature these days, even crap cable boxes have it... it's a simple setting.

Think about your parents, wife, etc, who have memorized "channel 35 is WE" and won't bother to remember its whatever HD number it is, no matter how many times you tell them.

It'd be MUCH easier and better if it was automated and just switched to the HD version automagically with no user input. Because trust me, many users won't put in any effort.

• Like 1

A better approach to this is when we have channel management you could just merge the channels together and prioritize them, or hide the sd versions altogether.

• Like 4

Spaceboy

A better approach to this is when we have channel management you could just merge the channels together and prioritize them, or hide the sd versions altogether.

this is much the better solution, expecting a sd channel to map and tune to a he channel is not realistic imo

I absolutely agree with the request as well. I would prefer to have the option when going to the channel to see SD or HD. In some cases you may still want SD if your experiences some video call quality issues.

Diablo97

The channel management solution would work if it is what I am thinking it is. I would be cautious about hiding the SD version because people may want to have the SD version available although it may not be used much. I am thinking those that have limited UL available to them that want to access live TV remotely may want the option to stream SD instead of HD.

paulsalter

Just curious, if you have an HD version, why would you keep the SD version?

It's very annoying, but in the UK regional variations are only on the SD channel (via an aerial), coverage is better via satellite, but dont think all areas covered yet

So if i want to watch my local news, i need to switch from HD to SD

Spaceboy

I absolutely agree with the request as well. I would prefer to have the option when going to the channel to see SD or HD. In some cases you may still want SD if your experiences some video call quality issues.

transcoding?

Spaceboy

It's very annoying, but in the UK regional variations are only on the SD channel (via an aerial), coverage is better via satellite, but dont think all areas covered yet

So if i want to watch my local news, i need to switch from HD to SD

so that’s not the same at all as the request

paulsalter

so that’s not the same at all as the request

Never said it was, just answering your question on why someone would need the SD & HD version

Edited by paulsalter
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

Never said it was, just answering your question on why someone would need the SD & HD version

agreed but in this case I would say that bbc1hd England is not truly the same as bbc1sd London, which is what it is for me

paulsalter

Thats what i was trying to get at (perhaps worded it wrongly)

I am in the North East, and bbc1 ne is only available in sd, I believe i get the same as you for hd (no problems for majority of shows)

ITV is similar, think the major cities are ok, but for me if i watch itv hd, i get the manchester feed, not much use for newcastle area

going back to the original post, a prompt to go to the HD when SD selected would be best, imo, auto tuning to it would not be good

• Like 1

Thats what i was trying to get at (perhaps worded it wrongly)

I am in the North East, and bbc1 ne is only available in sd, I believe i get the same as you for hd (no problems for majority of shows)

ITV is similar, think the major cities are ok, but for me if i watch itv hd, i get the manchester feed, not much use for newcastle area

going back to the original post, a prompt to go to the HD when SD selected would be best, imo, auto tuning to it would not be good

+1 (again) here, completely agree.  The issue is specific need whether by region, device, network limitation, etc.  I am sure always having the option and extra click might be annoying for some, but I think for most of us we would be ok with:

- Option A: Ability to have the decision made when clicking the channel, that user selects SD or HD

- Option B: Ability in settings for those who don't want manual forced to select, then have the prior mentioned "Merge" and let Emby "Auto Tune".

- Option C: Some middle of the two, so if lets say your preference in your settings is always highest quality.  You will always get HD.  If you have lower quality as default then you get SD, and sub choices will have overrides for whatever the geniuses behind emby feel is the right experience from this point...

Just some additional ideas I wanted to throw out there, I know theres a million ways to slice this as its going to be subjective and based on user preference.  Long as the options are there, and folks can customize it... then I think we will all be happy in the end we had the options. 

SikSlayer

Everything I posted before was based on the assumption that channel management was already a feature...

This just makes things worse IMO.

• Like 1

pir8radio

I would think you would treat region channels as their own channel (since they will probably have different guides) if they truly have different content.   Then channels that do not have different content you remove the SD channel keep the HD..   This leaves your guide with only HD and different content channels.   Its pretty clean that way no?   Otherwise you merge regions with different content now to one guide that is wrong for one of the two channels? 

Spaceboy

I would think you would treat region channels as their own channel (since they will probably have different guides) if they truly have different content. Then channels that do not have different content you remove the SD channel keep the HD.. This leaves your guide with only HD and different content channels. Its pretty clean that way no? Otherwise you merge regions with different content now to one guide that is wrong for one of the two channels?

exactly the point I was trying to make. BBC1 hd England and bbc1sd London gave different lineups, they are not the same channel. Bbc2hd and bbc2sd are the same channel

• 10 months later...
Red5ive

Adding my +1 for better channel management and being offered the option of using HD over SD.

Kind of related to my request here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79360-search-for-tv-shows-to-record-shows-channel-details-and-episode-details/

where searching for something to record displays the shows from both SD and HD channels but with no indication of which is which.

Would be great if it defaults to the HD version of a channel.

• Like 1