#481 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14575 posts
  • Local time: 08:24 AM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

I am confused that others reported that emby is now always transcoding with looping now being the default. When I watch live TV in chrome browser, the stats for nerds show that channels are direct streaming. What am I missing?

In the Android TV app, we spent many weeks working with @ebr to get Live TV Direct Streaming, but with the latest beta server, we now have everything transcoding, so it's putting an unnecessary load on the server, for no gain. So all of that effort has been wasted.

In fact, start times for Live TV is painfully slow.

The m3u tuner stream looping option needs to be added back to allow the user to switch it on/off as required.
  • cayars and Senna like this

#482 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2464 posts
  • Local time: 04:24 AM

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

It might not be just that setting that is causing the issue.  There could have been other "fixes" applied as well that were mentioned in the forums.

But with the option given back we can identify if this is the cause of the issue or something else new in the beta.

Personally, I'd prefer to have the option back.  However just default it to on (same as now without the option) and allow us to turn it off.  This is needed for testing IMHO.

#483 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2464 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:20 PM

In the Android TV app, we spent many weeks working with @ebr to get Live TV Direct Streaming, but with the latest beta server, we now have everything transcoding, so it's putting an unnecessary load on the server, for no gain. So all of that effort has been wasted.

In fact, start times for Live TV is painfully slow.

The m3u tuner stream looping option needs to be added back to allow the user to switch it on/off as required.

Yes and I still want these to direct play vs stream anyway.

LiveChannels with an IPTV import can direct play the content.  Heck, even Plex can direct play mpeg2 and H.264 from HDHomeRun.  This fundamental problem with direct playing these streams need to be worked out to not have to transcoding/remux and that will help with other diagnosis of IPTV as well.

• CBers and Senna like this

#484 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14575 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:24 PM

Yes and I still want these to direct play vs stream anyway.

LiveChannels with an IPTV import can direct play the content. Heck, even Plex can direct play mpeg2 and H.264 from HDHomeRun. This fundamental problem with direct playing these streams need to be worked out to not have to transcoding/remux and that will help with other diagnosis of IPTV as well.

I use the SmartIPTV app on my Shield and it Direct Plays everything as well.

Why Emby can't do it is beyond me.

It's gone incredibly silent in the other thread, with no dev input at all.

Can't wait until the people running Stable get it :rolleyes:

#485 IkeTaylor11 OFFLINE  

IkeTaylor11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Local time: 03:24 AM

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:42 PM

I use the SmartIPTV app on my Shield and it Direct Plays everything as well.

Why Emby can't do it is beyond me.

It's gone incredibly silent in the other thread, with no dev input at all.

Can't wait until the people running Stable get it :rolleyes:

Do you have the ability to pause and rewind live tv in other apps without transcoding or remuxing? I’m just curious.

While I agree that the looping option should be put back im just not sure there’s that many people that are actually affected by the transcoding issue. Stream copy is the default option when you install the ATV client. So most wont even notice the “issue”, and they will get the added benefit of Emby working like a true STB with the pause and rewind functionality for live tv.

In order for pause and rewind of live tv Emby has to copy the stream. If that can happen with direct streaming that would be great. If not, then this issue might be a mute point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#486 Spaceboy ONLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3529 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

Do you have the ability to pause and rewind live tv in other apps without transcoding or remuxing? I’m just curious.

While I agree that the looping option should be put back im just not sure there’s that many people that are actually affected by the transcoding issue. Stream copy is the default option when you install the ATV client. So most wont even notice the “issue”, and they will get the added benefit of Emby working like a true STB with the pause and rewind functionality for live tv.

In order for pause and rewind of live tv Emby has to copy the stream. If that can happen with direct streaming that would be great. If not, then this issue might be a mute point.

Yes it’s like a cow’s opinion.

No this is incorrect. We had the ability to pause and rewind while using direct stream on android. We now don’t have the ability to direct stream.
  • CBers, cayars and Senna like this

#487 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14575 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

No, because I normally only use my IPTV for true Live TV, such as live sports.

As I said earlier, we, the long-time users of Emby, spent many weeks working with @ebr to get Live TV in the Android TV app to the point where it was fast to start and didn't need transcoding at all.

Now because of people saying they had issues with recordings with IPTV, the looping option was forced in and removed from the server, meaning now that all true live tv is not transcoded, rather than Direct Streamed.

So we've gone from a fully fleshed out solution to having Live TV working correctly in the ATV app, we now have a bodged version of a server release that is causing all true Live TV to be transcoded.

If the option should be on for recording from certain IPTV sources, the option needs adding back, so that it doesn't affect everyone else.

We all need to have a working solution, whether it is for live tv, or for recorded TV, but taking one step forwards and two steps back doesn't help.

Yes I know it's a beta release and things can and will change, but when you've been around here as long as we have, having absolutely no input from the devs is beyond belief.
  • Senna likes this

#488 IkeTaylor11 OFFLINE  

IkeTaylor11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

Yes it’s like a cow’s opinion.

No this is incorrect. We had the ability to pause and rewind while using direct stream on android. We now don’t have the ability to direct stream.

That’s not true. Even with the previous beta it had to do a remux with the stream copy enabled which is what gives you pause and rewind.

#489 Spaceboy ONLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3529 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:56 PM

That’s not true. Even with the previous beta it had to do a remux with the stream copy enabled which is what gives you pause and rewind.

yes and you could enable that either by choosing the option pre play or by hitting pause after starting a direct stream.
  • CBers likes this

#490 IkeTaylor11 OFFLINE  

IkeTaylor11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:07 PM

@CBers you are probably the minority user then, stream copy is the default option and works the same as it always has, doing a remux. Most users don’t even see that anything has changed. Most users want the ability of have pause and rewind to take advantage of using Emby for an STB replacement.

And yet I have agreed with you from the get go that the option needs to be brought back. But, it should be done while still keeping the changes that fixed recordings. If Emby can’t record correctly I don’t care how the streams play. The user base pays to have functioning recording ability. That is 100% fixed and working with the latest beta. If that gets reversed that would be a much bigger issue than 10 users who want direct play on their streams because they choose to not take advantage of pause and rewind functionality.

Also, streams loading works great for me. Sub 2 second load times. So I don’t understand where your seeing that issue.

#491 Spaceboy ONLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3529 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:15 PM

@CBers you are probably the minority user then, stream copy is the default option and works the same as it always has, doing a remux. Most users don’t even see that anything has changed. Most users want the ability of have pause and rewind to take advantage of using Emby for an STB replacement.

And yet I have agreed with you from the get go that the option needs to be brought back. But, it should be done while still keeping the changes that fixed recordings. If Emby can’t record correctly I don’t care how the streams play. The user base pays to have functioning recording ability. That is 100% fixed and working with the latest beta. If that gets reversed that would be a much bigger issue than 10 users who want direct play on their streams because they choose to not take advantage of pause and rewind functionality.

Also, streams loading works great for me. Sub 2 second load times. So I don’t understand where your seeing that issue.

hmm you asked for other people to chime in and the only people that have are telling you that you are wrong. Perhaps that should tell you something...

Edited by Spaceboy, 23 February 2019 - 01:16 PM.

• Senna likes this

#492 IkeTaylor11 OFFLINE  

IkeTaylor11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

hmm you asked for other people to chime in and the only people that have are telling you that you are wrong. Perhaps that should tell you something...

How am I wrong?

#493 Spaceboy ONLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3529 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

How am I wrong?

people have been using iptv with emby for 6 months plus with almost no complaint. You have been a member here for two months and in the last week iptv has gone to crap. The only person backing you up is dcol.

#494 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 42862 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Hi. He is not "wrong" and he did say he supported the option returning.

Let's just stay on topic but, I don't know that there is any additional information required here unless something else stops working.

Thanks.

#495 Spaceboy ONLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3529 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:22 PM

Hi. He is not "wrong" and he did say he supported the option returning.

Let's just stay on topic but, I don't know that there is any additional information required here unless something else stops working.

Thanks.

sorry but he is “wrong” with his assumptions about how the user base feels. That’s what I was referring to

#496 IkeTaylor11 OFFLINE  

IkeTaylor11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:24 PM

sorry but he is “wrong” with his assumptions about how the user base feels. That’s what I was referring to

Your just wanting to argue about something. Nothing I have said is wrong, just your biased opinion.

#497 Spaceboy ONLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3529 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

Your just wanting to argue about something. Nothing I have said is wrong, just your biased opinion.

yes it’s a mute point

#498 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2464 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

I'm curious why all the talk about stream copy when the looping option was removed on the server.

• CBers likes this

#499 maegibbons ONLINE  

maegibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2091 posts
  • LocationLutterworth, England, UK

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Surely the handling of iptv streams needs to be split in terms of one logic path for live tv and another logic path for recording. It appears the current logic is now working well for recordings so we need a seperate logic path for Live TV reverting to how we were before.

Krs

Matk
  • Senna likes this

#500 revengineer OFFLINE  

revengineer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:12 PM

Ouch, a sensitive topic. I am in the boat of people for which the current beta is an improvement. The changes must go beyond looping though. After initially trying IPTV unsuccessfully without looping, I turned and left that looping option on. However, chance of successful recording was still only ~50%. The fact that I recorded 4 out of 4 in the last 24 hours tells me that the change to looping was not the cause of my issues.

@CBers, I missed that the transcoding issue is Android TV only. I use that version on my Fire TV and indeed it is remuxing. I have no experience how Live TV viewing on Android TV changed over time. It used to work so horribly, that I never used it again. I was surprised it even see play when I tried today.

I hope the devs can find a solution that works for all.

• CBers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users