Some movies don't stream on LG smart TV

wp.rauchholz

wp.rauchholz

I run emby on a centos 7 home server. Emby version is 4.0.1.0

The TV model is: LG webOS TV OLED55C7V. Emby is latest version.

Some movies do not stream on the TV, although they stream fine on my laptop. When hitting play, the screen turns black and seem to be stuck.

logfile for a movie that does not stream is attached.

Whilst other movies just start streaming fine.

Thanks for your help.

Wolfgang

embyserver.txt

Hi there, can you provide a copy of the media info from this file from the bottom of the web app detail screen? thanks.

I’ll give it a go. I notice MOV_TEXT AGAIN. I feel like something has changed as we are seeing this black screen issue a lot lately even though the app hasn’t changed version for a while

I believe i have a similiar problem, but for me its only for full hd movies in 10 bits.

Transcoding for those movies is needed, because the subtitle is not supported. Audio shouldnt be a problem.

I have attached 2 Screenshots, the first one is from a series in 720p with 10 bits and plays fine with HW-Transcoding at max 40% CPU.

The second one isnt getting transcoded nor played, it just stays black and i have to close the App.

My TV is a LG OLED55C8LLA with webOS 4.0 and im running currently the beta release 4.1.0.1 on my TerraMaster F2-420.

post-206603-0-35750500-1549887940_thumb.png

post-206603-0-97194900-1549887948_thumb.png

wp.rauchholz

Here my summary:

• Streaming works; all browsers on all devices, emby on Samsung app (v 2.2.4)
  • Streaming does not work: emby app on LG TV set, iphone, ipad

Seems to me an issue with the app?

Wolfgang

• 2 weeks later...

I’m really unsure how you’ve come to the conclusion that streaming does not work on WebOS. When you say streaming do you mean DirectStream playback or DirectPlay playback? There are many examples of both of these working fine.

There appears to be a recent issue where some mp4 files hang with a black screen during DirectPlay. The sample you sent me was exactly this issue. All the samples I’ve seen of this do not play on the tv at all including via USB or dlna, so there is something about these files which is incompatible with the tv, we just haven’t been able to narrow it down completely yet.

Edited by SamES

wp.rauchholz

The way I came to the conclusion is fairly straightforward: I hit play on a movie that resides on my homeserver and nothing happens on the apps, whilst it works perfectly fine in Firefox, chrome.

Would you please elaborate a. It more on DirectStrwam vs DirectPlay. I a mon a technical person.

Thx, Wolfgang

• 4 weeks later...
bayerse

Hey, is there any progress on this topic? I'm facing the same problem as Wolfgang and was hoping for the new version (1.0.15) but the error is still present: some content is not displayed and there's just a black screen showing up.

Is there anything that can be done as a workaround until a fix hits the app store? 

Best

Sebastian

• 2 weeks later...

What's happening is the LG video player is failing on these files but not triggering any kind of error that we can catch.

We have worked out a solution to try and detect this situation so that we can automatically switch to transcoding to resolve it. Thanks.

• 10 months later...
ClutchFan

Does anyone know if this problem has been solved? I just installed an LG OLED65B8PUA, installed Emby and tried to play some movies from a Synology NAS and encountered the same issue. Some movies play fine, others get a black screen and nothing happens. The Emby app hasn't crashed, but nothing plays.

• 1 year later...
derandi

Hello, I also have the problem that some MP4 files cannot be played on my LG50Nano via Emby. The screen stays black. The same MP4 can be played back without any problems via a FireTV, PC (Emby Theater / Browser).

edit: oh, one year later but the same problem.

Edited by derandi

On 4/19/2021 at 2:25 PM, derandi said:

Hello, I also have the problem that some MP4 files cannot be played on my LG50Nano via Emby. The screen stays black. The same MP4 can be played back without any problems via a FireTV, PC (Emby Theater / Browser).

edit: oh, one year later but the same problem.

Hi @derandi let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/?view=getnewpost

Thanks.