1) Metadata & VPN and 2) Emby and DLNA

Galvaneal

Galvaneal

Hi,

Hello, i am hoping someone can help me with 2 challenges i can't seem to solve. First off i must admit i am by no means an expert so it is very likely i am asking a noob question :) I have tried to google it but have not found a good answer yet

My setup is:

• Synology NAS 1817+
  • Emby server on NAS
  • OpenVPN from ExpressVPN on the NAS
  • LG C7 TV
  • Oppo UDP 203 as mediaplayer
  • Ipad mini with Emby client to browse and play movies through DLNA to Oppo

The problems i face are the following 

1. Emby can't collect Metadata for library when VPN is on, or i can't look up existing metadata when VPN is on either

I read that ExpressVPN was one of preferred solutions for Emby, but i cant seem to let it work together. If i turn VPN off it all works fine, but it doesnt when i turn it on (for accessing and updating metadata)

Is there a solution for this? I have portforwared 8096 for the NAS

2. Using Emby client on Ipad and sending it to Oppo mediaplayer through DLNA takes a very long time

When the Oppo connects to NAS (SMB) directly it loads UHD blurays files (MKV) in ca 10 secs, fully working

If i browse through movies on Emby client (on my Ipad mini) and select to play through the Oppo (DLNA option) it takes over 2 minutes to load. 

I have turned off transcoding but this doesnt help 

Again i am a noob but i cant find or google a solution. 

Regards

Galvaneal

1. Emby can't collect Metadata for library when VPN is on, or i can't look up existing metadata when VPN is on either

I read that ExpressVPN was one of preferred solutions for Emby, but i cant seem to let it work together. If i turn VPN off it all works fine, but it doesnt when i turn it on (for accessing and updating metadata)

Is there a solution for this? I have portforwared 8096 for the NAS

Hi, this sounds like the VPN is preventing access to the metadata provider websites, right? Have you checked on that?

Galvaneal

Hi, this sounds like the VPN is preventing access to the metadata provider websites, right? Have you checked on that?

Hi Luke

No i have not checked, as i don't know how to check this  :D

solabc16

Hello @@Galvaneal

With respect to (1), to clarify - do you mean Emby Server's ability to access and update metadata or for client applications to access and update metadata?

If the former, you need to make sure your VPN solution is configured to allow outbound access to the Internet.

Best

- James

Galvaneal

Hello @@Galvaneal

With respect to (1), to clarify - do you mean Emby Server's ability to access and update metadata or for client applications to access and update metadata?

If the former, you need to make sure your VPN solution is configured to allow outbound access to the Internet.

Best

- James

James

I mean Emby's server ability from the NAS (where i have the VPN). How do i check if this is the case (VPN configured for outbound internet)? I can download NZB's directly from internet with VPN on

solabc16

Hello @@Galvaneal

Thanks for the log, with regard to (1), the problem is indeed outbound connections. You need to make sure you configure your VPN to allow outbound connections from your NAS.

MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: The operation has timed out. ---> System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out.

Best

- James

Galvaneal

Hello @@Galvaneal

Thanks for the log, with regard to (1), the problem is indeed outbound connections. You need to make sure you configure your VPN to allow outbound connections from your NAS.

MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: The operation has timed out. ---> System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed out.

Best

- James

Hi @@James,

thanks!  At least i know what the problem is, not the question is how to solve it :) Do you know if this is solvable? And is it something i can do within DSM of Synology or a question i need to ask VPN provider?

solabc16

Hello @@Galvaneal

I don't have an immediate solution for you, as there are so many possible h/w, s/w & service combinations.

My suspicion is that it will be related to how traffic is being routed on the the box.

Emby Server will be attempting to make an outbound connections to, for example, one of the metadata providers. The question is, what source address is it using to attempt this connection and how is that connection being routed, when the VPN is active.

I can take a look at recreating this. Have you disabled IPv6 on the LAN interface on your NAS?

Best

- James

Galvaneal

Hello @@Galvaneal

I don't have an immediate solution for you, as there are so many possible h/w, s/w & service combinations.

My suspicion is that it will be related to how traffic is being routed on the the box.

Emby Server will be attempting to make an outbound connections to, for example, one of the metadata providers. The question is, what source address is it using to attempt this connection and how is that connection being routed, when the VPN is active.

I can take a look at recreating this. Have you disabled IPv6 on the LAN interface on your NAS?

Best

- James

thanks James i appreciate it. Even more because i don't really know what i am doing :)

I followed ExpressVPN's tutorial for installing it on Synology NAS which included disabling IPv6

Galvaneal

Hello @@Galvaneal

How are you getting on, have you managed to make any progress?

Best

- James

Hi James

Thanks for asking. But unfortunately no progress on either challenges. I have installed ExpressVPN (Open) using the tutorial of them specifically for the Synology NAS. And i have tried testing different settings (since there are only a few options). But none of them solve it. There is no access to metadata when the VPN is turned on. The only thing i can think of now is to call Express VPN

As for the 2nd challenge i have no clue :)