HW transcoding options missing

thostr
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

chrissi55

OK my problem is, when playing video via HD Max Device usually my Amplifier Onkyo switched over to Dolby D oder DTS Mode when recognizing audio stream

e,g, via UPnP or local file

When playing same films via emby app nothing happened to my Onlyo Amp. Still showing Stereo or THX Movie but no Sound on my Rear Speakers e.g.

So turning back to UPnP / Samba share and play the files Onkyo imediately recognize the Dolby Sound.

chrissi55

As i wrote above

under Windows 10 i use Emby Theatre (latest Version of the Microsoft Store)

under Dune HD Pro 4K Stand Alone Player i use the emby App from the Google Play Store.

Under Linux i use Firefox and Chromium

Under PS4 I use the emby WebApp.

Only in case of my Dune HD Player i have a connected Onkyo Amp that is capable playing Dolby Digital, TrueHD, DTS etc.

But i can't get it to work using the emby Android App. The Onkyo stays in Stereo Mode, Rear Speakers are not coming up - Display of the Onkyo does not show DTS, Dolby D or something like that.

Connecting my emby Server via UPnP -> Onkyo imediately switched over to Surround Sound.

Web browsers cannot do any audio passthrough so there will always be audio transcoding. Were you not aware of that?

For emby theater, please try the desktop app downloaded from our website rather than the store app.

chrissi55

Yes I'm aware of the fact that browsers didn't play Surround Sound.

I mentioned these clients only to complete the list towards your question.

Ok so far ...

... but what about my emby app under android in my stand alone player connected to my Onkyo Dolby Surround Amplifier?

And what about an iPad connected via Apple Air Play to an Apple TV?

I thought that the Dune HD Player should have Dolby Sound.

What is the difference between the trusted source of the Microsoft Store in contrast to the App of the emby website?

Thanks for your helping :-)

Edited by chrissi55

emby app under android

Our android mobile app, or android tv app?

And what about an iPad connected via Apple Air Play to an Apple TV?

Not to airplay at this time, but if you cast to our Apple TV app, that will support ac3 passthrough.

What is the difference between the trusted source of the Microsoft Store in contrast to the App of the emby website?

The store app uses the stock windows video player and is limited by what that supports. The desktop app embeds mpv and can play and pass-through just about anything.

chrissi55

Our android mobile app, or android tv app?

I use the Google Play Store Version -> no choice to use another one because *apk Install is not possible under Dune HD

Is emby available for Apple TV V2 too?

I use the Google Play Store Version -> no choice to use another one because *apk Install is not possible under Dune HD

We have two apps in Google Play. Which one are you using? You can learn about them both on the download page of our website:

https://emby.media/download.html

Our Apple TV app supports 4th Generation and up:

https://emby.media/emby-for-appletv.html

• 2 weeks later...
chrissi55

OK during last days i did some experiments with my emby  (now 4.1.0.16)

Under Android i switched over from Android App to Android TV App -> no difference so far.

I get an Apple TV 4K Gen 5  and installed the emby client App from the App Store (under TV OS, iOS ... there's only one version, right?)

My Onkyo Dolby Amp says "Multichannel" when starting Film with Dolby D 5.1 or higher (DTS, TrueHD ....)

I turned into the settings of the Apple TV and set my Audio / Video Settings -> Sound from "best available Sound" to fix "Dolby Digital 5.1"

And NOW Onlyo says "Dolby D" when starting a film. But with that i loose my DTS functionality, right? "Best available Sound" does not force my Onkyo to recognize the soundtype of the film correctly.

Under the settings of the Apple TV i found the menue entry "Audio Output" (Automatic / Passthrough)

I set the Output for testing to "Passthrough" -> the noise was horrible -> only signal noise / acoustic noise came out of my speakers.

Turned imideately back to "Automatic".

hhmmmm - what can i do to make emby working properly

btw. with UPnP/DLNA Server of emby i have the same problems!

Apple doesn't allow third party apps to passthrough hd audio so on Apple TV it will be converted to ac3.

chrissi55

Apple doesn't allow third party apps to passthrough hd audio so on Apple TV ....

But there are Apps like Infuse, that ploclaim to do so ..

https://firecore.com/infuse

And in this App there is an option " Passthrough" on Apple TV 4K

But with that enabled my UPnP Device (emby server) delivers only noise.

OK so far - but that didn't solve my Android problem - even with the emby Android TV App instead of the Android App.

My android Device (Dune HD Pro 4K) delivers Stereo Sound (no AC3 encoded Dolby Sound) when using the TV app.

Using the UPnP Playback (emby DLNA) than with same results.

chrissi55

...so, as seen in the attachment

in the newest version of infusion it is possible to activate passthrough on apple tv 4k.

Never the less - it produces just "noise" using it in combination with emby DLNA.

post-378937-0-81299700-1553630776_thumb.jpg

post-378937-0-90695400-1553630787_thumb.jpg

...so, as seen in the attachment

in the newest version of infusion it is possible to activate passthrough on apple tv 4k.

Never the less - it produces just "noise" using it in combination with emby DLNA.

Yea we looked into this before and I think they are actually just sending something that tricks your receiver into displaying dts, but it's still decoded in the app. Even on their help page you can see:

https://support.firecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/217735707-Audio-Options-tvOS-

Due to an Apple bug in tvOS 11.3+ passthrough is not currently available.