hw transcoding issue 2160p HEVC HDR10 DTSHD 5.1

D34DC3N73R

D34DC3N73R

should this be happening on a device which only needs to transcode audio? This happens on my local hardwired nvidia shield as well as bandwidth limited devices.

should this be happening on a device which only needs to transcode audio? This happens on my local hardwired nvidia shield as well as bandwidth limited devices.

Video transcoding happens either when the client does not support the video format or when the bandwidth exceeds the (autodetected or user-configured) maximum video bandwidth.

We're delivering videos via HLS and HLS supports H.264 only, that's why HEVC files are transcoded.

• 4 months later...
sbadie1

Have you tried this?

The video source that is being played in the log file is HDR (10bit). 

Emby can handle those files in most cases, but there are certain combinations (input video type, video decoder, video encoder, in-between filters) that may not always work as expected.

This is an area which is currently being actively worked on .

As a temporary workaround, you could disable the hw decoder (but not the encoder) in the advanced settings.

I have been having the same issue.  The same work around by disabling the hw acceleration transcoding seems to allow the movie to play.  However, my CPU is running at 100% the whole time the movie is playing.  I am not sure if that is really good for the CPU.  Do you have any time frame on when this issue would be fixed?

sbadie1

Also for me if I handbrake the 4k file and keep the 10bit, and pick video quality 10, and pass through for audio it works just fine. I just dont want to handbrake all my videos to make it work as it would take forever. Not sure why handbraking allows it to work but not the original file

sbadie1

Thank you!

As mentioned above, we got a number of problem reports regarding 10bit HEVC with the Quadro P2000, on both Windows and Linux.

I'm quite sure that it's not a problem on our side as HEVC 10biit decoding works just fine with other Nvidia hardware.

The only thing you can do in Emby is to disable the Nvidia HEVC decoder, so you will get at least hw encoding.

Otherwise I can only suggest to open a support case with Nvidia for this.

Has there been any issues with the p4000?

We got a Quadro in our lab now and are currently working on it. 

If things go well, it won't take long until we'll have something for you to test!

sbadie1

The green screen transcoding issue is still a problem on emby v. 4.1.0.25 beta

Have you tried this on Windows instead of Linux?

@@softworkz

Interesting side note, I still get this green screen when using hw hevc decoding on emby beta 4.3.0.6, but this doesn't happen with plex hw hevc decoding on plex alpha transcoder preview 1.16.7.1597 

My nvidia driver version is now at 430.40

@@D34DC3N73R - Could you please post an ffmpeg log from 4.3. beta where the green artifacts problem occurs?

sbadie1

@@softworkz

Interesting side note, I still get this green screen when using hw hevc decoding on emby beta 4.3.0.6, but this doesn't happen with plex hw hevc decoding on plex alpha transcoder preview 1.16.7.1597

My nvidia driver version is now at 430.40

Are you saying that encoding and decoding 10bit hdr on Plex works just not emby?

Edited by sbadie1

sbadie1

Also, does anybody have a video file where the problem occurs?

(a 5-10 min cut would be sufficient)

I can when I'm home how would like me too do this

D34DC3N73R

Are you saying that encoding and decoding 10bit hdr on Plex works just not emby?

Yes, specially 4k 10bit hevc hw decoding using NVDEC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
sv3nno

Hi,

I'm still having this issue too on latest stable release (4.4.2.0).

To me it looks like its got something to do with the audio tracks.

Files that has more than 1 audio track gets corrupted frames and green artifacts.

The files with only 1 audio track (TRUEHD 7.1 or Dolby digital 5.1, doesn't matter) plays fine.

Edit: don't know if this is just a plain stupid coincidence, but this seems to be the case.

Files that work and those that dont share the same Video characteristics:

Title: 4K HEVC
Codec: HEVC
Profile: Main 10
Level: 153
Anamorphic: No
Interlaced: No
Video Range: HDR
Color Primaries: bt2020
Color Space: bt2020nc
Color Transfer: smpte2084
Bit Depth: 10 bit
Pixel Format: yuv420p10le
Reference Frames: 1
Edited by sv3nno

Edit: don't know if this is just a plain stupid coincidence, but this seems to be the case.

Files that work and those that dont share the same Video characteristics:

Do you wanted to say that files that don't work share the same characteristics?

Or are you saying that it seems to be independent of the video?

A fresh ffmpeg log would be helpful as a lot of things have changed in release 4.4.x

sv3nno

Do you wanted to say that files that don't work share the same characteristics?

Or are you saying that it seems to be independent of the video?

A fresh ffmpeg log would be helpful as a lot of things have changed in release 4.4.x

Files that work have the same video characteristics as the files that does not work.

Attached two photos on media info.

Attached two ffmpeg logs.

not working file ffmpeg log.txt

post-170302-0-60040800-1590530861_thumb.png

working file ffmpeg log.txt

post-170302-0-79966300-1590530870_thumb.png

Edited by sv3nno

In the not working example you've selected PGS subtitles and as a result they have to burned in with transcoding. To make it a more equivalent comparison, try turning the subtitles off prior to playback. Please see if that helps. Thanks.